HHS Health Expert Says He Was Demoted For Blowing Whistle On Hydroxychloroquine | Talking Points Memo

A top Trump administration public health official alleged Tuesday that he was demoted after raising concerns about widely distributing a drug that President Donald Trump touted as a potential “game changer” against COVID-19.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1307535
1 Like

Bright’s lengthy allegation discussed more than just his concerns over hydroxychloroquine, and details a long-simmering tension with higher-ups at the Department of Health and Human Services — specifically Dr. Robert Kadlec, HHS’ assistant secretary for preparedness and response — over the administration’s failure to prepare for the COVID-19 pandemic. Bright alleged that he pressed Azar and Kadlec in late January to better fund efforts to prepare for the pandemic, but that his comments “were met with skepticism and were clearly not welcome.”

Bright also singled out John Clerici, a pharmaceutical industry consultant with a connection to Kadlec. Among other things, Bright alleged that Clerici and staff in Kadlec’s office pressured him to extend a contract to a client of Clerici’s. The company’s CEO was “friends with Jared [Kushner],” Bright alleged that Clerici told him.

It’s a pity that accounts.google.com refuses to connect without a login.

12 Likes

“Mr. President, are you going to fire another Inspector General?”

29 Likes

We do indeed know what Trump will do. There will be a blast radius around this whistleblower that will take out any scrupulous actors who helped bring it to light. And the Senate will not do a thing, save Susan Collins’ “concern”.

34 Likes

When added to the current tumult, this will hurt Trump. The case counts, death counts and illogic in opening up a death-economy will be a suitable backdrop for this whistleblower.

32 Likes
25 Likes

And the meat shortages! My God, the meat!

Sorry to say, this will impact many more than anything else.

15 Likes

Trumpism: an abject disrespect for human life and the ability to augment that disrespect in others.

31 Likes

A link to the statement is provided in the TPM blog post.

2 Likes

Sorry. 404 Error Page.

I know. Strange, because clicking on the link in the article works.

2 Likes

It’s likely due to requiring the necessary cookies. You’ve probably got them and I likely don’t.

1 Like

Try this, via NPR:

https://apps.npr.org/documents/document.html?id=6882560-Rick-Bright-Whistleblower-Complaint

14 Likes

Well, what the hell did he expect crashing the marketability of the yuge hydroxychloroquine stockpile amassed by the Trump Crime Family?

24 Likes

Danny, you are awesome! I couldn’t like this enough! Thanks!

6 Likes

At least when I eat real meat, it’s about 2oz a day. Usually I don’t eat any though. Faux beef and chicken here, since I don’t shop for us anymore. I’ve learned to like it.

That is, unless I get an increasingly rare impulse to be a carnivore again. It happens about once every two months or so. Then it’s a thick pan seared rib-eye.

I know, I’m weak.

17 Likes

That works!

3 Likes

It’s good to listen to what your body is telling you, though. There isn’t just one ‘way’ for everyone.

9 Likes

You lost me at faux beef. But you got me back with thick pan seared rib-eye.

wipes drool from chin…

17 Likes

This whole mess of incompetence and criminality needs to be hung around the neck of every Rethuglican running for office, especially the Senate, as well as Conman Donnie. America will not survive another fours years of Trump and Rethuglican control.

28 Likes