Harris Responds To Scott’s Remarks On Race: We Have To ‘Speak Truth’ About Racism Today In US

Vice President Kamala Harris on Thursday morning pushed back against the way in which Sen. Tim Scott (R-SC) had framed the challenge of addressing systemic racism in his rebuttal speech to President Joe Biden’s address to Congress the night before.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1371921
1 Like

“This is a speech delivered from a planet where facts don’t matter, which is where the current Republican Party resides,” said Wallace, who was communications director for President George W. Bush. “It’s really not his fault, but it is his responsibility to get his facts straight.”

“He said that Biden inherited a country that had already rounded the bend on COVID,” she said. “Four thousand people a day were dying in January, so I don’t know, again, on what planet we rounded the bend.”

She said Scott’s speech contained “a lot of disinformation” that felt “almost scripted” by someone close to Trump.

39 Likes

“It’s backwards to fight discrimination with different types of discrimination."

It’s outrageous to fight democracy with the same old types of discrimination.

It’s disgusting for a black man to fight against the destruction of racism and yet complain about being called an Uncle Tom.

24 Likes

Harris, who is the first Black person to serve as vice president, told “Good Morning America” anchor George Stephanopoulos that she agreed with Scott, who is also Black, that America is “not a racist country.”

True today, maybe, but if the crazies in the party that Scott represents got their way it would certainly turn more racist. It’s hard to justify that the GOP is NOT a racist organization. I get a national Democratic politician can’t go there, but it if looks like a duck…

10 Likes

Much as I like the VP, how can a country with our slavery and Jim Crow history and a current problem with white supremacy not be racist?

I guess you could maybe argue that a majority of individual Americans is not racist, at which point it becomes a matter of defining “country.” But this sounds a bit weird, to say the least.

12 Likes

“It’s backwards to fight discrimination with different types of discrimination. And it’s wrong to try to use our painful past to dishonestly shut down debates in the present.”

When it comes to the topic of racism, sexism, antisemitism, etc, there. is. no. “debate”. It’s wrong and needs to stop. Stopping hate in all its forms isn’t a type of discrimination A/K/A cancel culture.

It’s decency and moral righteousness. Things that the Rethugs have no ability to experience.

17 Likes

I can say with confidence that you could not pay me enough to be an asshole of the breadth and depth of Tim Scott. I don’t understand how he and the rest of those goons can live with themselves. I just don’t. And they would not starve if they stopped doing this shit. They all have sinecures, and well-funded retirements, and healthcare paid for by the taxpayers.

15 Likes

I am afraid I turned Scott off when he started the crap about how it was all the President’s fault that there is not bipartisanship in our government, and he used as an example the fact that some bills got up to 90% votes in the Republican Senate! Typically, for a Rethug, neglecting to note that Democrats DID vote with Republicans when they presented a bill that benefitted the country. Nor did he acknowledge that Under the TraitorTurtle, Republicans would not cast a vote for ANY Democratic proposal (even if it ever got to the floor for a vote) if it would literally save the country from extinction…just because it came from a Democrat.
They still think bipartisanship means that they get to have it all their way. Deargod! How long do we have to put up with these selfish, stupid incompetent, illogical morons??

34 Likes

I understand why in her position of Vicepresident she has to say that. Just like a mother has to tell the four year old child that Santa Claus does exist.

21 Likes

I believe we are talking about divergent sequences. Ending any type of behavior, taking it to zero, becomes a long stretch of levels never becoming zero. I put racism in that category. Like cigarette smoke in a used car.

9 Likes

Good work. The administration response is swift and smart, and Harris is on point.

Disarming the Republicans, I’m beginning to understand, is what they do surprisingly well.

18 Likes

When he spoke about the liberal media calling him a certain uncle
and the word that will remain unspoken, it was jarring
then I realized he may have meant twitter
horrible racist tweets aren’t the news media

5 Likes

I have to say, this was a masterful response to Scott. She stole his appeal to white republicans with the “country is not racist” line while explaining how it is very racist in many ways. Remember that Biden and Harris are politicians of the highest talent. They will continue to usurp the sensible part of the GOP base and capture most independents as long as they DO NOT deviate from this platform. Any RED MEAT thrown to the left will break the spell. I fully support this kind of politics. It is the ONLY means of defeating the current GOP.

24 Likes

Me too. Followed by a couple minutes of cussing.

9 Likes

Yes!

And all the meanwhile, they are the most progressive administration we’ve seen since FDR.

7 Likes

She said that from the jump, to set up the rest of her narrative…that it is, given the history.

About twenty-five years ago (before FOX News really got going), I would have gone in that at this point in time (2021) we would have been well on our way toward less racial animosity.

6 Likes

Tim Scott is an embarrassment to Uncle Toms everywhere. He makes Franklin from Django Unchained look like freakin’ Malcolm X. He sells out faster than an Elton John concert. He’s a complete waste of beautiful Black skin. I really can’t hate that fool enough.

25 Likes

Agree. But it’s superb political chess.

9 Likes

Exactly and that’s a good way to put it. America is an extremely racist country. Always has been and probably will be still if I lived another 60 years. But she sure as shit can’t say that. Not if she ever plans on running for president. It’s just the way it is. I doubt she likes it any more than I do.

22 Likes

As has been said many times, the overwhelming support of White Evangelicals for Donald “grab her by the …” Trump proves beyond all doubt that “values” in front of the word voter is and has always been code for race.

That said, ever notice how when Republicans are out of power and trying to get back into power they put on a “Black face”, Michael Steele and now Tim Scott, but how those faces and people become marginalized once back in power.

19 Likes