Grief, Outrage In Minneapolis Suburb After Police Shoot Black Motorist During Traffic Stop | Talking Points Memo

The police shooting of a Black motorist Sunday brought more grief and turmoil to the Minneapolis area, in the midst of the ongoing trial of Derek Chauvin for the alleged murder of George Floyd last year.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1369186
1 Like

When is this shit going to fucking end?? It’s turning into a daily occurrence now and I’m pretty damned sick and tired of gun violence, regardless of the perpetrators.

:face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

27 Likes

“At one point as officers were attempting to take the driver into custody, the driver re-entered the vehicle,” police said in the statement. “One officer discharged their firearm, striking the driver."

Just why?

21 Likes

As always, there is no record of the kid having a weapon. He was shot for not obeying orders, which a white kid wouldn’t have been.

I have a friend that is teaching in the UAE for the last two years. In her blog this weekend, she wrote that, after hearing about the various shootings in the US over the last couple, she wonders what the hell is wrong with us? After two years in the UAE (and she is originally from the eastern Minne suburbs), she has stopped making escape plans in the event of a shooting, either in her classroom or out in public, BECAUSE SHOOTINGS IN PUBLIC SIMPLY DON’T HAPPEN THERE!!!

Compassion for the family, now, because their loved one is going to be destroyed in the press.

Because that’s how we do things in these cases.

27 Likes

Obviously Roscoe Robinson’s neighborhood barber shop, a business he founded 40 years ago and plans on passing down to his sons, must be burned to the ground in response to this senseless killing.

1 Like

So the Minneapolis Police couldn’t manage to behave, even for the duration of the Chauvin trial? Just keep digging, boys. Was Officer Chauvin part of a “pattern of behavior”? Well, what does it look like?

14 Likes

Driving with air fresheners while Black. I guess his taillights were working.

15 Likes

Never.

Answered.

2 Likes

Based on the info in the article, it seems he was shot for trying to flee after they tried to arrest him on an outstanding warrant. No idea what the warrant was for, but once again, the shoot first, worry later attitude is a problem, to put it mildly.

12 Likes

I assume you’re a frequent customer? And poor Roscoe could somehow never afford insurance?

3 Likes

He fled into his car.

If your house of 40 years burns to the ground is State Farm going to replace the memories and momentos you’ve accumulated? Is it really going to make it the same house again all your friends and relatives grew to love and were comfortable walking into over those 40 years?

I’m reminded of the young man in Waukesha who killed several rioters but was allowed to cross State lines and go home after handing out water bottles to officers (or was it vice versa) last summer during their riots.

No inconsistent behavior among the two departments, right?

14 Likes

Not sure I get you – presumably, he hopped back into the car to flee in the vehicle.

1 Like

One thing I always wonder about when seeing these things, are the officers so afraid of loosing their own lives that they cannot control themselves? And if someone is that afraid to do their job, follow protocols and do the right thing, they become more dangerous than that thing they fear. And then throw on the arrogance and racism.

11 Likes

This was not the MPD, it was Brooklyn Center PD.

Not an excuse, but don’t add into any misinformation.

5 Likes

According to earlier articles, the assaulting officers did not know about the earlier warrant. It was allegedly only on the air fresheners on the mirror.

Funny, how I have a dangling, wooden egg I bought in Hungary hanging on my rear view mirror. Been there for over ten years and has made three crossings from CT to WI and back. Never been pulled over and certainly have never been shot for its presence…

6 Likes

Lets wait and see what happened. Wait for the dash and body cams. Among many other things, I am interested in the sequence.

In this first report, seemingly giving the police side, the statements’ imply to me that the police shot Daunte after he re-entered the car.

“At one point as officers were attempting to take the driver into custody, the driver re-entered the vehicle,” police said in the statement. “One officer discharged their firearm, striking the driver. The vehicle traveled several blocks before striking another vehicle”

This second report from his girlfriend indicates he was shot, then got back into his car and drove off.

He got out of the car, and his girlfriend said they shot him,” Wright said. “He got back in the car, and he drove away and crashed and now he’s dead on the ground since 1:47

But, to be clear, my interest in the sequence is to understand how these two seemingly different accounts paint a different picture of a tragic event.

7 Likes

It’s no surprise they murdered him: He had an air freshener hanging from his rearview mirror! (That indicates he may have been trying to cover the scent of Skittles®.)

8 Likes

… and for driving with air fresheners.

ETA – Sorry @padfoot – You beat me to it :pray:

5 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available