Graham Plans To Grant Mueller Testimony | Talking Points Memo

So far he has always walked this back. Can he go 12 hours in this direction? I continually hope so but have my doubts.

6 Likes

yeah… I suspect that Graham wants Mueller to testify in order to discredit the Russia investigation – Mueller was a massive disappointment when he testified. He didn’t just appear unwilling – he seemed unable to explain what he’d been doing all that time.

15 Likes

They are betting it has less impact than when he testified publicly before Congress. And it had very little impact then.

They know Mueller is not a guy who is going to drop bombshells, and will instead give lots of one word answers with not follow up or explanation unless pressed. And even then, it will be the bare minimal.

And…Graham knows Trump is going to want some punches thrown at Mueller. And he and the republicans on the Committee will gladly do that rough work for him.

18 Likes

It might be different this time. Time and a lot of mouthing has gone by. He has watched the president and his orcs trash one good person after another. Who knows what will happen.

11 Likes

He shouldn’t have had to redo Casey Stengel’s congressional testimony, when explaining the obvious.

Plus, folks have to take into account that House Judiciary Republicans were successful (public opinion wise) in disrupting the proceeding.

Anyone should be prepared to be disappointed, if they’re again expecting Director Mueller to be Zeus.

7 Likes

“Democrats on the Senate Judiciary Committee have previously requested Mr. Mueller appear before the Senate Judiciary Committee to testify about his investigation,” Graham said in a statement. “That request will be granted.”

7 Likes

It doesn’t. Both tRump and Graham Cracker know it. Its water under the bridge.

What really matters, that only got about a week of press and is out of the headlines soon to be forgotten about, is how tRump put US soldiers in Afghanistan in danger by ignoring his daily briefings and allowing Putin to issue bounties on their heads while having numerous calls with Putin since then.

Where is that cracker on that? Where are the relevant GOP led Senate judiciary and oversight committees at with looking into that? Nowhere to be found. Haven’t heard a peep out of them still. That’s how we got here. So many impeachable offenses since and an entire party of do-nothing, amoral assholes willing to turn a blind eye.

24 Likes

To reframe earlier comments, Graham is in steerage and the bow is already under the waves.
It looks increasingly likely that the Drumpftanic is taking him down with it.

10 Likes

Every little bit helps, I guess.

1 Like

Lindsey’s trying to lay the groundwork for, “Well, we believed this guy just like you did and then he LIED to our faces! Imagine!”

5 Likes

Right up there with “You guys were right, we just thought it was a personality conflict between y’all, but boy you sure were right”.

You can see it coming.

1 Like

CYA Squared.

5 Likes

Hmmm, Lindsay’s re-election numbers must be looking shaky…

8 Likes

Oh, I don’t know - it’s not like anything Mueller says will change any minds…

1 Like

Lindsey will have one of those “golfing” outings with Trump by the end of the week.

8 Likes

And maybe that’s where the ‘woulda, coulda, shoulda’ concept comes into play. Maybe, just maybe, Mueller realizes what a crap artist he looked like with all the double talk and nonsense he gave to the House.

Maybe, just maybe, he will be more explicit and redeem himself to the Senate.

It’s possible. Not probable. But possible.

4 Likes

I’m more in the “what could possibly go wrong?” camp.

3 Likes

I’m with you on this - why aren’t the veterans in Congress (other than Duckworth) putting up screaming rants on this?

9 Likes

Too little too late. The GOP shat the bed when they denied witnesses at Trump’s trial. That stain isn’t getting off them through psuedo-symbolic gestures of oversight like this.

7 Likes

Certainly is fund-raising is lacking:

https://www.usnews.com/news/us/articles/2020-07-07/south-carolina-democrat-aiming-to-unseat-lindsey-graham-raises-139-million-in-quarter

9 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available