Graham Admits Trump ‘Could Destroy’ GOP With His Power Over The Party

As he was defending his enduring loyalty to ex-President Donald Trump despite the violent Capitol assault in January, Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-SC) made a startling observation about Trump’s iron grip on the GOP.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1363756

The South Carolina Republican said he wants his party “to continue the policies that I think will make America strong.”

“I believe the best way for the Republican Party to do that is with Trump, not without Trump,” he continued.

34 Likes

The lawmaker said there was a “dark side” to Trump but also “some magic there.”

“What I’m trying to do is just harness the magic,” Graham said.

Good heavens.

This says more about Graham than it does Donald “Bad Boy” Trump.

31 Likes

“What I’m trying to do is just harness the magic,” Graham said.

I’m trying to figure out why ETTD hasn’t yet had its way with Lindseymat, and all I can figure is he’s already soul-dead and thus has immunity.

24 Likes

26 Likes

The lawmaker said there was a “dark side” to Trump but also “some magic there.”

“Feel the power, Lindsey. Come over to the…”
It seems Sen. Graham has already made the leap to the Dark Side, so there won’t be any need to invite him. (ed.)

10 Likes

“What I’m trying to do is just harness the magic.”

Right.

If Graham were only an enabler, this might have been pathetic.

But he’s more than an enabler.

19 Likes

Graham is always a heel.

It’s just that McCain was the bigger of the two a-holes.

8 Likes

The Republican Party started its decline back in the 1960’s and has been accelerating towards this point ever since. Trump will not destroy the Republican Party, but its members who have done nothing to change the Party’s views. I for one will not miss them owing to their last 50 years of actions. It’s time to clean our national house.

13 Likes

Well, I can also see this as an enticement directed at Trump’s ego–it’s pretty clear he thinks he still runs the show, and Graham’s remark acknowledges (Trump’s sense of) his power.

Whether Trump in fact has that power remains to be seen, of course.

10 Likes

So there’s a dark side but some magic there, and Trump could either make him or destroy him.

Time to get out of that relationship.

13 Likes

Hello. Good morning. What culture can we cancel today?

29 Likes

You cancel mine and I’ll cancel yours.

Deal?

8 Likes

Still wanna know just what the kompromat on him is.

We’ve all made so many guesses, but none of them really seem dark enough for him to so absolutely fawn over Trump like this.

16 Likes

The culture of lies, extortion, blackmail, subservience, death, destruction, denial, and nihilism.

9 Likes

Gee whiz, I would have said that the constant denial of objective reality, endorsement of racism, and disconnection from any concern for truth would be what destroys the Republican Party.

Lindsay seems just fine with all of that.

8 Likes

It’s bad…very bad.

3 Likes

We’re gonna explode? I don’t wanna explode.

9 Likes

How it started

5 Likes

Internet search history?

3 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available