GOPer Who Voted To Impeach Trump Says He’s Prepared To Lose Political Career

Rep. Adam Kinzinger (R-IL), one of the few Republicans who voted to impeach then-President Donald Trump for instigating a violent insurrection at the Capitol, is ready for what breaking from his party’s fierce loyalty to the former president will do to his future in politics.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1356950
3 Likes

Switch parties. Sheesh.

41 Likes

Bi-partisans are so misunderstood.

18 Likes

Come to the light…
Come to the light.

18 Likes

Just not this light.

5 Likes

Gotta admire this. The integrity wing of the Republican party is pitifully small and soon to be extinct.

56 Likes

Maybe a small pile of feathers.

21 Likes

Before anyone goes off and gets any ideas, IL-16 is an ( R ) district by a 2:1 margin.

18 Likes

26 Likes

It’s sad that anyone has to live with the possibility of losing their career for trying to do the right thing

42 Likes

Here in Illinois Kinzinger has gained respect. His seat, I believe, is safe. Too close to Chicago for RWNJ to scare the rubes from the right.

52 Likes

You’ve described the plight of any (marginally) honest, compassionate, self respecting person that’s ever worked for Donald Trump.

14 Likes

A GOP politician with integrity is a rare bird indeed.

18 Likes

“The only hope you have is to accept the fact that you’re already dead.”

Words to live by.

15 Likes

I bet the parties on our side are friendlier. Also less costly in terms of hardware and ammunition.

3 Likes

The future was so bright for Al 20 years ago. Thanks, TPM, for taking down his toadying ass with the US Attorneys scandal.

23 Likes

Speaking of hardware and ammunition:

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Enrique Tarrio, the leader of the Proud Boys extremist group, has a past as an informer for federal and local law enforcement, repeatedly working undercover for investigators after he was arrested in 2012.

32 Likes

He may be safe in a general election, but can he win in a Republican primary?

14 Likes

Kinzinger has his eyes on the position of governor of Illinois. he needs publicity and Democratic votes to get there. What better way to get both than to trash Trump? I like what he is doing, but he isn’t doing it for “you”, he is doing it for himself. That being said, I say, go get him buddy, doing the right thing is good no matter why you do it.

22 Likes

Justin Amash

9 Likes