GOP Sen. Apologizes To Black Voters For Giving ‘Perception’ Of Trying To Delegitimize Their Votes

Umm… I intentionally used these tropes in the statement to posit that the senator holds them to be true and is himself a racist SOB.

I have absolutely no doubt that you’re right about his intent, but at least it wasn’t another ‘and I’m sorry if people felt that way’ crock of shit.

Well, that just might be significant in this case. Having spent more than a little bit of time in OK over the years (Mrs. 512’s family is spread over parts of Oklahoma and Kansas), while the racism definitely runs thick, one of the places where you might find local, even surprising, exceptions is in some of the evangelical churches, where they have discovered the interesting fact that lots of Black folk go to church too.

1 Like

Maybe he has a teeny-tiny little conscience poking at him.
hahahahahahahahahahahahaha

1 Like

I dunno…I am half Southern Italian and half Puerto Rican. Forgiving and forgetting is not a strong genetic trait. Morning Joe gave Donald Trump months of glowing favor and credibility, rather than scrutiny of his lack of qualifications.

Joe Scar said, THIS week, that Donald Trump is a Liberal Democrat. As if THAT was at the root of all of our country’s current predicament.

Fuck Joe Scarborough. Sincerely. And with all due respect.

4 Likes

Oklahoma isn’t as racist as it used to be. Football is a religion in Oklahoma and you cannot have football without Black players. Many Okies have overcome (at lease some of) their racist tendencies in order to have the University of Oklahoma win football titles.

1 Like

Generally true of most every state, I would reckon. Still bad.

2 Likes

Lankford is an ordained minister in the Southern Baptist Church. That is about as white a church as you can get. Before Covid, Sunday mornings I used to drive by one of the largest SBCs in Oklahoma City and I do not remember ever seeing Blacks getting out of cars in that parking lot.

He also married into a rich and powerful family. He doesn’t need a brain.

4 Likes

At least you’re coming around in regards to Aaron Sorkin.

I just need to work on you a little more when it comes to Bazzzz Luhrmann. :wink:

1 Like

“In this instance, I should have recognized how what I said and what I did could be interpreted by many of you. I deeply regret my blindness to that perception, and for that I am sorry,” the senator wrote.

Parsing? Equivocating? Sidestepping? If this is your approach, you have no play that will make you whole with African Americans, people of color, and the Black community of voters you sought to disenfranchise. Go sit down somewhere, Lankford.

2 Likes

So it’s a different and “more acceptable” form of indentured labor. What if you substituted “in order to have their cotton picked and baled”?

3 Likes

I would like to apologize to black voters that our efforts to throw out black votes gave the perception that we were trying to throw out black votes.

2 Likes

You’re not wrong, but at least they know they’re expected to treat the students well… and because I doubt they’d express that kind of sentiment out loud, even to themselves, we can hope they’re not passing it on to their kids.

Now that the tide has turned, he apologizes…sort of. You will always be a minor senator, sir.

1 Like

Baby steps.

2 Likes

I actually suspect Lankford may be being honest rather than disingenuous. He’s not a great intellect and I think it is possible for a white man of his age living in Oklahoma and watching only winger media to be totally oblivious to American history and to not recognize present-day Republican dogwhistling and voter suppression for what they are. Maybe we should thank HBOs The Watchmen for reminding his constituents about Tulsa.

1 Like

Where’s his apology for continuing the BIG LIE that the election was fraudulent? What’s wrong with these ReThug? People like Lankford and his ilk continued and propagated a lie that, with Don the Con inciting the crowd, resulted in the deranged mob looting the Capitol and looking for congress people to kill. He and the rest of the GOP traitors should be kicked out of Congress and then indicted for sedition.

3 Likes

“Totally blind” yes. But more to the point: Willfully blind, I would say.

1 Like

You have a big heart, but it’s a bullshit apology, if you can call it an apology.

Look, he played along with GOP lies about the election and propagated those lies: that’s the bottom line.

Enough with the bullshit mia culpas…

Never. Never. Ever. Will I like Bazz Luhrmann.
I am old school. Truffaut. Bunuel. Lina Wertmuller. Coen Bros.
No Bazzz.

1 Like
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available