GOP’s Proposed Expansion Of SNAP Work Requirements Targets Many Low-Income People In Their Early 50s Who Already Work

8 Likes

Is the work requirement simply there to flood the workplace with underpaid labor to depress worker wages?

6 Likes

Two adults are required to be present when children are serving alcohol. Minor employees also have to complete a “training on prevention and response to sexual harassment”, reported CNN.

From the article.

This is going to make it awfully confusing to know what a Republican is really asking for when he orders a Sex on the Beach.

4 Likes

I believe so, I can’t see any other reason.

1 Like

from edblog:

There are changes to SNAP and TANF. But they seem pretty limited, mainly focus on able-bodied recipients without children between the ages of 50 and 54

Repugs: “Somebody’s gotta get punished in this deal, dammit! Who can we get?”

6 Likes

Or try to eat on 50 cents a day. Not everyone receives those “extremely generous” benefits listed above.

2 Likes

Bigger delusions.

2 Likes

On looking back at my post I think I expressed myself poorly. So in that regard please let me apologize for my poorly written post. On rereading it I came off like a butt head.

Coal Miners!

Who needs those overly generous black lung disease benefits?

Those miners, and their children should work longer in the mines so they can pull themselves up by their bootstraps and not be dependent on the government.

4 Likes

GOP 2024: Cat food in every pot!

2 Likes

You win teh internets again!

1 Like

I didn’t get that sense at all, Darr. I just figured you misread the thread a little. We’re all just sort of joking around here anyhow about stealing that trillion-dollar coin, right? I’m way too much of a coward to ever seriously considert doing anything like that :grin:

2 Likes

Do you really think it will take all summer? I predict he gets tossed as soon as someone challenges him.

1 Like

Very interesting indeed. And in Florida a teacher would likely be fired for pointing it out.

I suspect, with no real substantiation, that if Biden gets this bill, he instructs the Dems in the House to protect McQ for the duration. They don’t ALL have to do it - just enough to push it over the top.

Biden should reward for not pushing the world into bad economic times - yes, McQ had a responsibility to do his job, but that Horse Feathers caucus still has an awful lot of control.

2 Likes

I got no respect for the goobers. I lost a bunch fro the demsa as well but it looks to me (and I have very little to go on) that the Master here was Biden who did the necessary painting into corners of the necessary goobers but one… …Garret Graves. That guy showed his hatred of poor folks by demanding those less than 54 years work for their assistance money. No matter that the law says they must work already. He wants to pile more on those who he sees as leeches. But don’t anybody tell this guy those people are his own constituents. He is shitting on those who might vote for him.
The debt ceiling should’ve been worked out months ago. The budget was. Why is it the Congress (both chambers) screw around until a deadline pushes them to do their damned job. In any other business these guys would never survive for long. They’d be shown the door and told to not come back.

3 Likes

Wow. Two adults: Mama, who owns the joint, and her son, running the bar. He’s too busy hitting on the customers to do anything else. Mama, when she couldn’t provide grand-daughters to be servers, finds girls who have the right “looks” or “ethnicities” to fit as “family,” takes care of the rest. Believe me, there is no training other than that. Mama, running the kitchen, is way too busy threatening her cook with a kitchen knife, the black guy, who wants to actually provide customers with what they ordered.

Haven’t any of you patronized a really good ethnic neighborhood restaurant in your past?

2 Likes

I would think that the DOJ would be right on this as a violation of the Fair Labor Standards Act. At least, I hope so.

Wisconsin is trying to do the same.

SCOTUS will strike down FLSA. Or at least defang it.

Ah yes, Iowa! Before the drinking age was raised to 21 nationally, it was 19 in Iowa. The average kid started drinking at 13.5 When the drinking age was raised to 21, the Bar owners lobbied and got a convoluted law passed that allowed 19 year olds to enter Bars but not drink. The argument was they used to be able to enter and drink at 19, and the new drinking age hurt them, so letting them continue to enter the bars was a compromise. Of course, wristbands were used and of course they didn’t work.

Letting minors serve alcohol is a bad idea. This is also the same state that got really pissed that immigrants who were recruited to the state to work at the Meat Packing Plants did the same thing Iowans did- they got tired of the working conditions and found other work. Since the state couldn’t deport them, they passed English-only Laws. Now they can’t find enough people to fill jobs??? That’s what happens when you fuck around.

3 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available