GOP Rep. Ralph Abraham Announces Retirement, The 26th Republican To Do So

Rep. Ralph Abraham (R-LA) announced on Wednesday that he will not run for reelection this upcoming election.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1293618
1 Like

Abraham is the 26th House Republican to retire ahead of the 2020 elections, while only five Democrats have decided to do so.

Not sure the Republicans are supremely confident of taking back the House this year.

2018 saw a similar GOP exit before the Democrats flipped the House after the midterms.

Oh.

12 Likes

Can you see me waving "Bye-bye’ frantically to you, Mr. Abraham? Oh, you’re still here.:cry:

9 Likes

Never heard of this particular backbencher. But I am getting really tired at the Trump cultists obligatory bowing to the “great leader” before every statement. It got to be farcical at last evening’s performance, especially Pence who practically salivates at his master’s alter.

“I’d like to start by exhorting the magnificence and genius of the bestest President ever, whose brilliant mind and forthright spirit allows me to pass gas here before you all tonight. Praise Jesus!”

21 Likes

Another Republican animated corpse announces his retirement and sucks up to Trump in the process, how quaint and unique.

21 Likes

In 2018 Abraham won in a 4 way race that included candidates from the Independent, Libertarian and Democrat parties. He garnered 67% of the vote. I doubt Republicans fear this retirement will cost them his seat.

5 Likes

Another day, another rat abandoning the Trumptanic.

8 Likes

Don’t be ridiculous. He always meant to retire this year. /s

7 Likes

The Marine Corp takes the lead.

24 Likes

Good riddance to bad trash. One less mindless Trump cultist in Congress. Let’s hope there are a lot of involuntary retirements of these terrible people in November when they lose.

12 Likes

Still OK to be a Nazi or a skinhead, though.

3 Likes

Let’s not snark this. Overdue? Sure. By generations. But in this political environment, I give this Marine Corps General a lot of credit. A lot.

22 Likes

One small step forward for the Armed Forces, one giant leap forward for Equality in America.

8 Likes

5 Likes

O/T amazing to me mass shooting don’t even get a blip in the news anymore

12 Likes

My mistake.

My sincere apologies to Rep. Abraham for casting aspersions, albeit not on his asparagus.

8 Likes

Another oldboy from another failing state. The GOP are without question the least competent of the parties. If you’re willing to do knee-time for the rich you can steal all the power you can misuse.

7 Likes

Ditto.

8 Likes

Snark? Sure, the armed forces are trying mightily to root out and discharge Nazis and skinheads hidden in their ranks. Why? Because they have a lot of Nazis and skinheads hidden in their ranks. And why is that? Because credible reporting from multiple outlets detail what amounts to shoddy and negligent screening and vetting processes during the enlistment phase. Fine, let them blow their horn. But when brass is cornered about their continuing problems in this area they obfuscate and equivocate and dance around their enlistment shortcomings with the best of politicians versed in the game of deflection.

5 Likes

Oh, come on now.

2 Likes