GOP Rep. Announces Retirement, Sick Of ‘Rhetoric And Vitriol’

After spending time with his family at their lake house, Rep. Paul Mitchell (R-MI) announced his retirement, saying that “there’s a whole world out there outside this city that’s a pretty damn nice place.”

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1237485
1 Like

Maybe if you had the courage to call out your leadership as the culprits, Rep. Mitchell, there’s a chance that positive change could begin.

35 Likes

I guess Simon Legree had some beefs about slavery, too…

4 Likes

As if there is nothing a Republican in a "very safe Republican seat " can do about it.

20 Likes

The post Congress gravy train is much more appealing than that.

5 Likes

Well, I imagine if I had the luxury of contemplation at my lake house, I might come to the same conclusion.

20 Likes

Probably do a little criticizing now that he’s leaving office.

2 Likes

“Everything’s about politics. Everything’s about an election."

Oh, gee, Einstein! You didn’t happen to notice that when you ran for office in the first place?

Oh, and about that “vitriol” thingy: three guesses as to where 99.9875% of that “vitriol” comes from. And I’ll even spot you the first two guesses: it’s not the “Democrat Party”, and it’s not the “Democrat Party”.

32 Likes

I’d find this guy a lot more admirable if I didn’t suspect that he has an oil painting on black velvet of Donald Trump hanging in his bathroom.

8 Likes

LOL!

“I was having my back scrubbed by my Filipino houseboy while taking my milk bath in my Carrara marble spa at the faux-French chateau I had built in Aspen when it finally dawned on me that modern politics is terrible!”

11 Likes

Anyone placing any bets on how a not very nice problem is about to surface on his behalf in a few days?

He’s as bad as the refugees he’s probably battling against - why not stay and fix the problem, instead of escaping to relative calm?

21 Likes

What was his voting record? Strike that question. We already know.

6 Likes

“there’s a whole world out there outside this city that’s a pretty damn nice place.”

That’s because of Democratic programs designed to have government support the people it represents.

You’re welcome.

21 Likes

Bravery is doing the work to make a change when it seems that none can be made.
Bravery is not running away because the air stinks and you can’t stand it anymore.

Typical politician. Rather than be brave and work, would rather runaway and land a cush civilizan job.

Boo friggin hoo.

16 Likes

538 says he votes with Trump a whopping 97pct of the time, making him one of the most loyal Trumpies in the House.

18 Likes

Obviously the dude’s not a real Republican. He seems to have something resembling a conscience and hasn’t learned how to smoother it with boat loads of corporate cash.

1 Like

The rhetoric and vitriol he talks about is coming from INSIDE the GOP and president Trump.

5 Likes

right at the heart of the problem, easy - good point

1 Like

The rhetoric and vitriol is coming from the GOP and Trump. He should put his own house in order instead of slink away saying he’s the victim.

The country is their victim

16 Likes

Being in the minority must really be unpleasant after the heady times of being in the majority.
I also have to wonder if the “vitriol” in question is coming from his constituents.

8 Likes