GOP Memo Bearhugs Trump In Bid For Working Class Voters | Talking Points Memo

Rep. Jim Banks (R-IN) argued in a memo on Tuesday that the future of the Republican Party demands a frsh focus on the working class asserting that former President Donald Trump had created a pathway for working class voters to support the GOP.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1367332

GOP to the working class: “We won’t help you in any way and we’ll pass laws that rob you blind but, hey, we hate all the same people you hate so, isn’t that enough?”

23 Likes

Among his key recommendations were continuing to hammer on “Biden’s border crisis” while going after Big Tech and arguing that Democrats have cozied up to China a trend which “results from their coziness with Wall Street.”

He also urged for Republicans to host “working class roundtables” while creating a working families task force while continuing to attack Democrats for “wokeness and identity politics,” and lockdowns due to COVID-19 safety measures.

Dudes still aren’t reading the room. What with Biden’s enjoying broad support for his handling COVID and the voter-reform and infrastructure bills likewise getting wide approval, and people like Roger Wicker and Madison Cawthorn trying to take credit for good stuff in the relief bill that they’d voted against, railing against “wokeness” isn’t going to cause working-class people to say, “Hey, that’s the way to put food on the table and help pay the rent.”

17 Likes

Going after transexual teens and “saving” Dr. Seuss and Mr. Potato Head isn’t going to put food on the table, pay bills or keep a roof over people’s heads.

But go ahead QAP, push those things!

12 Likes

I want to see the GQP memo on Matt Gaetz

12 Likes

So getting lower class workers to blame some ‘other’ (usually racial) for their problems and not trickle down economics, deregulations, or the wealthy. Got it.

14 Likes

In related news, Trump only did well with poorly educated white “working class” voters. Most others hate him and voted for Biden. In addition, Trump lost by over 7 million votes, and his use of nativism failed. Banks wants to double down on a losing strategery.

Brilliant.

16 Likes

GOP: “More tax cuts for the rich!”

GOP: “Oh, wait . . .”

10 Likes

Trump’s “working class populism” is but one aspect of his Big Con.

9 Likes

Fuck that noise, all you have to do is appeal to the stupid ones.

9 Likes

Could these GOP Yahoos do me a favor and iterate all the things Trump did FOR (not to) the working class voter.

7 Likes

“And round tables! Don’t forget the round tables! We’re willing to pretend that you are our equals for as much as 90 minutes every 6 months so that we can act as if we care what you think! We’ll send a person to sit and preten–(ulch…I just threw up a little in my mouth) pretend that we care about your issues and concerns!”

4 Likes

I have never before seen such a collection of liars as the Republican Party. Every premise laid out here is based on a disrespect of the people it purports to support.

10 Likes

“There is an embittered and loud minority in the GOP that finds our new coalition distasteful, but President Trump’s gift didn’t come with a receipt,” Banks said.

This particular Mr. Banks appears to be beyond saving.

5 Likes

He loved them. He performed his greatest hits for them, over and over and over again.

4 Likes

He’s a self-serving bastard, I’ll give him that.

With ZERO imagination. Trumpism has been doing his “new thing” all along.

I mean…If ask for toe-MAH-toe juice, it’s the same thing, amirite?

2 Likes

“President Trump gave the Republican Party a political gift: we are now the party supported by most working-class voters."

While the Guardians Of Plutocrats are not “supported by most working-class voters,” it is supported by a baffling large number of working-class numbskulls.

The disconnect between what Cockholster led them to believe Rethugliklans do that benefits them and how they actively work against ALL of their interests is inexplicable.

4 Likes

Nearly 100% of Trumpism hinges on racism

11 Likes

“Wokeness and identity politics aren’t pro-Hispanic, pro-African American or pro-LQBTQ; they’re antiAmerican, anti-women, and most of all, anti-working class,” hmmmmm…and then you’ll continue lying to the ‘working class’ to ‘get’ them. This is really something. I guess actions will have to speak louder than words.

2 Likes

Employees at the Indianapolis Carrier air conditioning plant (where Trump promised to keep jobs in US) should ask themselves how that worked out for them. Working class needs legislation that will help them. They don’t need empty GOP talking points.

3 Likes