GOP Bemoans Prospect Of Dems Going It Alone On Jan. 6 Probe After Killing Bipartisan Option

Senate Republicans killed the bipartisan January 6 commission bill Friday, using the filibuster to block the legislation from advancing. 

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1375786
1 Like

Decidedly OT but guaranteed to start your weekend off with a laugh. (click for video)

You can’t even see this kind of action in Little League Baseball T-ball.

@irasdad I believe this is your team, isn’t it?
I thought the highlight was when Javy called the runner safe before continuing on his “journey.”

39 Likes

Hubby showed me this last night. It was insane!

On topic:

I still want to see Nancy name the select committee before dark today.

It won’t happen.

Then I’d like to see Sinema and Manchin sponsor the bill that erases the filibuster forever.

It won’t happen either.

28 Likes

View from my neighbor’s season tickets. Usually get to Wrigley a couple of times a year

16 Likes

Stealing those bases like Sleepy Joe stealing votes in Fulton County.

12 Likes

five Republicans who are nationally respected

Unless we’re going to resurrect Lincoln, Teddy, or Eisenhower, who the hell could this be?
I got nuthin’.

45 Likes

I’m a Southside guy but I gotta applaud this kind of creativity.

11 Likes

“… is no new fact about that day we need the Democrats’ extraneous commission to uncover,” McConnell said on the floor Thursday.

Except reps and senators who enabled the insurrection, Cruz, the jerk from Missouri, mo brooks, Ron Jon, etc, etc.

37 Likes

McConnell: “…there is no new fact about that day we need the Democrats’ extraneous commission to uncover.”

That really sums it up, doesn’t it? He’s not claiming there are no new facts about Jan 6, but rather there are no facts that we (Republicans) need the commission to uncover. Because they’d be inconvenient.

61 Likes

Collins and Cassidy are correct. Pelosi, Biden, and Schumer can establish a January 6 commission that, one hopes, has subpoena power, a majority of Democrats, and NO Republicans who voted to steal the election in January 6 permitted to serve as members.

This commission can run until October, 2022.

52 Likes

"I have also repeated, there is no new fact about that day we need the Democrats’ extraneous commission to uncover,” McConnell said.

Yes Mitch, we know everything about January 6, 2021. Except:

• What level of coordination was there between participants and the organizers of the Trump rally?
  • Who placed the pipe bombs at the RNC and DNC headquarters?
  • Were any insurrectionists present on tours of the Capitol granted by members of Congress days before?
  • Did any insurrectionists have ties to any members of Congress or the White House?
  • Why was the increasingly violent chatter on social media not synthesized into a warning by the intelligence services?
  • When did the President learn of the violent breach of the Capitol’s security perimeter?
  • What steps did the President take to authorize the national defense apparatus to respond?
84 Likes

Dear Susan Collins: Sure to your party’s obstruction, the Commission that Dems will be forced to set up will be credible. You, on the other hand, have no credibility whatsoever.

44 Likes

Hey Republican a-holes, here’s what you get now:

"Select Committee on Benghazi The January 6 Insurrection."

Dust it off, do a search-and-replace , and jam it down the GOP’s throat.

Enjoy, dumbasses…

75 Likes

My Senator, Murray, was on an airplane. My e-mail to her:

You were not present for the vote on the January 6, commission? That is awful.

25 Likes

I don’t know what they have to say
It makes no difference anyway
Whatever it is, I’m against it
No matter what it is or who commenced it
I’m against it

Your proposition may be good
But let’s have one thing understood:
Whatever it is, I’m against it
And even when you’ve changed it or condensed it
I’m against it

• Groucho Marx as Professor Wagstaff
29 Likes
50 Likes

Mitch’s message to the white nationalists and sedition wing of the party “there will be no consequences for your attempts to overthrow the government, so try harder next time”

30 Likes

Hmmmm, let’s think about this…

Absolute authoritarianism without meaningful accountability.
No tolerance for questions or critical inquiry.
No meaningful financial disclosure regarding budget or expenses, such as an independently audited financial statement.
Unreasonable fear about the outside world, such as impending catastrophe, evil conspiracies and persecutions.
There is no legitimate reason to leave, former followers are always wrong in leaving, negative or even evil.
Former members often relate the same stories of abuse and reflect a similar pattern of grievances.
There are records, books, news articles, or broadcast reports that document the abuses of the group/leader.
Followers feel they can never be “good enough”.
The group/leader is always right.
The group/leader is the exclusive means of knowing “truth” or receiving validation, no other process of discovery is really acceptable or credible.

10 Likes

These phony-baloney Republicans are only moaning and shedding salty tears because they know that, unlike the sham BENGHAZI!!! hearings they held, an investigation by the House Dems will uncover solid truths - and nearly all of it supported by video evidence that has been seen by billions of people.

Oh, and if you 6 loyal patriotic Republican (is that a contradiction in terms?) Americans want to see some REAL good finally being done for democracy and for your fellow Americans (you know, the ones who don’t have an income of $7.3M a year): vote to trash the filibuster. Show you’re better than those democracy-hating Dems Manchin and Sinema. LOL! Yeah, like that’ll ever happen

15 Likes

Without 10 Republicans on board, her (non-)vote was immaterial. If they’d had the votes, there’s no doubt she would have been there. As it is, it’s certainly not something I’m going to get upset at her over.

8 Likes