Giuliani Has A New Conspiracy Theory To Mainline Into GOP Bloodstream | Talking Points Memo

If Giuliani brings that tank of merde back here, he may find his bony ass on a slow slide towards the thin ice. Politics doesn’t dirty up much more than what he and Trump are doing. But, we still have laws.

1 Like

Trump is not subject to laws while in office. Go ahead, accuse him of breaking one, then go about having him charged and tried.

No snark and you’ve answered my question: These poll do not or cannot forecast the EC vote. That’s why I’m not rosy.

1 Like

I said Giuliani, not Trump.

Well, we won’t be able to say we weren’t given a heads on how the 2020 campaign season is going to play out. This will be a daily saturation of disinformation, the 2016 attacks ramped up to the max.

Obviously with this latest Giuliani/Ukraine conspiracy scheme, the more ridiculous the claim the better. Guess they’re hoping for a Pizzagate Super Nova effect.

This would be funny if it wasn’t so dangerous.

So, Schiff is going under the gun because he holds some lousy mutual funds in his portfolio and by a very crooked, dotted line it all leads back to Ukraine?

Alex Jones has lost his mojo, only to be replaced by the Republican Party.

Meanwhile, as the noise ratchets up, the Trumpster is ordering that Judaism will now be considered a nationality. Presumably, this is to rein in the Boycott Israel movement. But as Garry Kasparov noted in a recent tweet, this is exactly what the former Soviet Union did to isolate, separate its own Jewish community while tagging Jews ‘the other.’

None of this is funny. And history has a weird, diabolical way of repeating itself.

2020 will be a flash point, methinks. For everyone.

I am curious how many members of Congress have some connection to Franklin Templeton Investments, which, as noted, manages assets worth over $700 billion dollars.

1 Like

Just knowing that they were going to get mentioned would likely be a money-making opportunity for someone.

Oh hell, I’ve been a student – it that’s the word – of urban folklore, rumor. superstition, old wives tales since high school, many moons ago. Most are harmless unless they affect political thinking in some irrational and dangerous way. For ex, I once overheard a conversation to the effect that Obama did not go to class at Harvard. Instead, he sat in a secret room where he was trained by instructors from Moscow. Absurd? Of course, unless you believe it and are registered to vote. I recall people who believed that JFK, if elected, would install the Pope in DC and use him for advice. I wish I knew how to combat it.

2 Likes

Haha…I believe that one’s been a historical theme in this country when it comes to the Irish and the Catholics.

Check out Catholic Al Smith who ran for POTUS in 1936 (?),
GOP circulated a picture of him dedicating the Lincoln Tunnel throughout the rural south, told the yahoos that he would extend that tunnel to the Vatican if he was elected.
They believed it.

1 Like

LOL! I’ll have to look that one up haha

Does #RudyTheRatF@cker ever brush his teeth? You would think he’d know a good dentist in Ukraine that would fix those rotted looking stumps in his pie hole and save him a ruble or two.

“Blood and soil”, or Blut und Boden for the purists, isn’t a concept that fits comfortably with Emma Lazarus, is it?

@sniffit

Sure, sure. It’s old. But what’s new is the sheer medievalism of how they have been trained to reason and think about connections. Trying to talk to a Trumper now is like trying to reason with someone who has been trained to believe in witches and witchcraft or cargo cultists. There is just such a fundamental disconnect, such complete epistemic closure, that there isn’t even the most basic platform of shared realities and truths from which to begin a discussion.

3 Likes

Indeed…very good turn of phrase to describe it. I frequently go back to the psychology of delusion when thinking about it, because if you read about it, it presents such an unbelievably difficult and frustrating conundrum: the more you present the deluded person with facts and arguments…“proof”…counter to their delusions, the more they will do things to defend the delusion like inventing further delusions, inventing new facts that aren’t facts, getting angry or even violent, invent paranoid conspiracies, etc. They dig in, entrench, expand, move the goal posts…however you want to describe it…creating an entire self-sustaining delusion ecosystem…but at root, the point is that all the effort to explain, inform and reason with them has the paradoxical effect of driving them deeper into the delusion.

And yet, what do liberals do with the right…or the imbecile fence-sitters who clearly have the psychological makeup and mental proclivities that lean most of the rightward? Yeah…we attempt to explain, inform and reason. Then we act surprised when they come back swinging with the typical defense mechanisms deluded people exhibit, so we explain, inform and reason harder at them.

Fact is, our belief that we can explain, inform and reason with them is our own delusion. We cannot.
Some are lost causes and some can maybe be won over. We need to drop it and start winning them over according to their rules, not our own.

2 Likes

“…there isn’t even the most basic platform of shared realities and truths from which to begin a discussion…”

Oh, hell yes That’s why I quit trying to convert people long time ago. I was naïve.

“…We need to drop it and start winning them over according to their rules, not our own…”

I think I know what you mean: Simple, almost bumper sticker messages. “Moscow Mitch” is a good example.

1 Like

I had thought that regarding the First Amendment; I hadn’t thought about it regarding Citizens United, but wouldn’t that be rich, to have Trump’s order thrown out based on the case that has reaped such rich bonanzas for the GOP?

1 Like

We need to get over the traditional public sector orientation that makes Democrats leery of pure, unadulterated marketing and PR. Winning campaigns have some commercials that have appeals to reason and state issues and some that are just pure symbol-mongering that are designed to bypass the prefrontal cortex and work at the purely emotional level. Obama did a lot of that in both campaigns.

Democrats lose because they have a trust fund liberal disdain for the black arts of commerce, marketing and PR, and feel like they must always mix an appeal to reason into every ad. But the reason appeals ruin the pure symbol-mongering ads that hook in the 5% who are insufficiently civic minded to pay any goddamn attention to the news but too civic minded to keep their ignorant asses out of the voting booth.

1 Like

Indeed…and it’s also just not how politics works in the brain/human psyche. Showing up with reason and academic arguments isn’t showing up to a gun fight with a knife. It’s showing up wearing a t-shirt with a target painted on it waving around a bouquet of flowers.

1 Like

So what are the odds that One America and Gateway Pundit will be issuing retractions in regards to Schiff? Slim and none?

1 Like
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available