‘Ghost’ Candidate Ran In Race With Gaetz Buddy Until Indictments Started Dropping | Talking Points Memo

When Seminole County Supervisor of Elections Chris Anderson looked at tax collector Joel Greenberg’s qualifying form and saw that he had declared bitcoin, he wasn’t surprised. 

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1371551

If there’s a way to sleaze up any situation, republicans are on it.

25 Likes

Gives me the creepy-crawlies just reading about the dreck coming out of the GQP these days. And Gaetz is one of the dreckiest.

21 Likes

It’s one of their superpowers.

20 Likes

The states sure are laboratories for democracy, aren’t they?

22 Likes

Crooked republicans are the rule not the exception.

12 Likes

It’s all about money and power which in their minds are one and the same.

7 Likes

Isn’t there a Matt Gaatz in Pensacola anywhere,? Sounds like a natural born leader if there ever was one.

6 Likes

I see a Golden Duke in this man’s future. Maybe we need a new prize – the Golden Gaetz?

13 Likes

When Seminole County Supervisor of Elections Chris Anderson looked at tax collector Joel Greenberg’s qualifying form and saw that he had declared bitcoin, he wasn’t surprised.

“Joel is the only person that I know that knows anything about bitcoin,” Anderson told TPM.

And this is why Greenberg was able to buffalo the tax collectors office into buying a $90,000 bitcoin mining rig to permit tax payments in bitcoin. Hint: you don’t need a mining rig to transact in bitcoin. You can do it in a phone app. Hell, if you don’t want to install an app, you can do it on a broker’s website. You’ll need a broker anyways if you want to convert bitcoin to dollars, which a mining rig cannot do for you. Hint 2: a district made up of retirees, serving military, and retired military, isn’t exactly clamoring to pay their taxes in bitcoin.

Now, I’ll assume Greenberg’s plan was to pocket the bitcoin the mining rig produced while consuming gobs of taxpayer-funded electricity. But this being a Florida man plan, the bitcoin mining rig overheated and set fire to the office. The insurance company refused to pay for the damage, since he was operating industrial machinery in an office space.

And this is just one minor facet of this sprawling scandal. I don’t think Greenberg could order a cappucino without there being some scam involved.

26 Likes

ThE onLy deaD people vOting are LibTards.

5 Likes

Well, one state is something of a petri dish.

13 Likes

They didn’t come up with all these schemes out of nowhere.

I expect a deeper dive into Florida will find that this is par for the course down there.

11 Likes

Not exactly. “In this country first you gotta get the money. Once you got the money, then you get the power. Then you get the women.” Or in this case, underage women.

2 Likes

That’s poor tradecraft. Look for a “Mark” Gaetz, because that comes first alphabetically and some voters will check the first M. Gaetz on the ballot.

ETA: this already happened in Florida recently, where an A. Rodriguez, an unemployed car mechanic, appears to have been paid to run against the democrat R. Rodriguez. Guess what, it worked with R. Rodriguez losing by less than the vote total going to A. Rodriguez: https://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/miami-dade/article250529414.html

23 Likes

Given his habits, the Gaetzgoat might be more appropriate.

2 Likes

I agree with that.

1 Like

As long as we all understand he did not pay any goats for sex.

9 Likes

Stripmining for Bitcoin.

7 Likes

Republicans truly are scum. I don’t think the Democratic Party has ever run a ghost candidate.