Georgia Dems Sue Kemp To Compel Him To Hold Hearing On Rogue Election Board

Originally published at: Georgia Dems Sue Kemp To Compel Him To Hold Hearing On Rogue Election Board - TPM – Talking Points Memo

Several Georgia Democrats sued GOP Gov. Brian Kemp over his failure to hold a hearing on the three Trump-endorsed members of the Georgia Election Board after state Democrats filed formal ethics complaints against some of the members. The lawsuit requests that the Fulton County Superior Court order Kemp to hold a hearing on whether the…

The Georgia Elections Board does not count ballots, nor does it certify election results. Those things are both done at the county level and reported to the Secretary of State, not the Elections Board.

5 Likes

(post deleted by author)

So you’re saying this is all much ado about nothing?

2 Likes

Is the Governor under any compulsion to even acknowledge this, even if the suit is legit?

2 Likes

The part I find interesting is,

… of another legal challenge mounted by the Democratic National Committee, the Georgia Democratic Party and Democratic members of several election boards against the board directly. The plaintiffs are asking the court to pause enforcement of the rules and to declare that, per Georgia law, election board members do not have the authority to delay certification or to simply not certify election results at all.

7 Likes

I think we just have to write off Georgia this election. The Election Board is corrupt beyond the pale.

1 Like

OT

Great editorial about The New York Times editorial board dropping the hammer on … The New York Times news division.

5 Likes

They make rules for the county elections officials to follow. That’s it.

And I do not care if MAGA voting officials in deep red counties decide not to certify their results.

4 Likes

Election Monitoring. Jimmy Carter might have some suggestions.

Or,

Just imagine how much good could be done if Democrats didn’t have to spend so much time and energy trying to stop Republicans from doing stupid and/or evil.

5 Likes

“I almost wish I hadn’t gone down that rabbit-hole—and yet—and yet—it’s rather curious, you know, this sort of life!” ― Lewis Carroll, Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland

2 Likes

MAGA has largely succeeded in detaching itself from the world of real experience and the Trump-endorsed members of the Election Board are simply following suit: Inveighing against a economy that isn’t declining, crime that isn’t happening, lack of response to a natural catastrophe, and voter fraud that isn’t occurring; it’s all of a piece.

One could say it was mass psychosis if ulterior motives were not involved but it sure quacks like that duck none-the-less.

4 Likes

txlawyerPrime Member

3h

The Georgia Elections Board does not count ballots, nor does it certify election results. Those things are both done at the county level and reported to the Secretary of State, not the Elections Board.”

True, but there is more to the story.

They can cause a lot of chaos, sow a lot of doubt and reduce public confidence in the validity of election results, which may well be closer to their core purposes.

1 Like

txlawyerPrime Member

2h

They make rules for the county elections officials to follow. That’s it.”

To which @txlawyer replied

“And I do not care if MAGA voting officials in deep red counties decide not to certify their results.”

It seems to me your sentiments apply to their means but overlook the ends: creating public doubt in election results; creating a permission structure for others to complain about results not to their liking; paving the way for an authoritarian coup or revolution.