Georgia County Installs ‘Panic Buttons’ For Poll Workers As Concerns Grow Over New Rules

Originally published at: Georgia County Installs ‘Panic Buttons’ For Poll Workers As Concerns Grow Over New Rules - TPM – Talking Points Memo

Against the backdrop of the Georgia State Election Board implementing new rules that have the potential to sow seeds of doubt in the state’s election system, a Georgia county — that’s already been plagued by dangerous election misinformation and threats since 2020 — recently approved the implementation of “panic buttons” to protect poll workers.  The…

First I guess. Panic buttons alone are not sufficient.

10 Likes

Obviously, they’re to be used if anyone seemingly unAmerican comes in. When you push the button, the well-regulated militiamen come in and remove anyone who looks unAmerican, or likely to vote Democrat, which is the same thing.

4 Likes

In the final months of the 2024 election we are approaching a pre-civil War situation in the United States. Did not end well.

Bleeding Kansas , Bloody Kansas , or the Border War was a series of violent civil confrontations in Kansas Territory, and to a lesser extent in western Missouri, between 1854 and 1859… It has been called a Tragic Prelude, or an overture, to the American Civil War, which immediately followed it…

7 Likes

We can only tolerate so much before you do have to start taking these kinds of measures,” he said. “I just think, again, it’s a product of what the environment we’re in right now.

As you are aware, Mr. Kelley, the environment you’re in right now is entirely due to the words and deeds of the world’s largest terrorist organization. The Republican Party.

In addition to the panic buttons there should be plenty of cameras, plenty of microphones, and SWAT teams on standby ready to arrest the perps as well as terrorist leaders should any election worker be threatened or harmed in the performance of their duties.

I actually think the Georgia elections will be decided fairly, in large part because I think the lead terrorist is going down in flames nationwide come November. And it helps that such a powerful spotlight is illuminating the un-american, election stealing activities planned by the terrorists.

15 Likes

It’s absolutely pathetic that it has come to this.

13 Likes

It’s astounding how much damage one (sub-hu)man could do to America.

15 Likes

Right. I’m sure it won’t be a problem recruiting poll workers once they’re told that there are panic buttons. Also, I’m sure that hitting the panic button will not disrupt voting in any way, and that voters will “keep calm and carry on”, as if voting in person is not beginning to resemble 1940s London during the Blitz.

5 Likes

Georgia County Installs ‘Panic Buttons’ For Poll Workers As Concerns Grow Over New Rules

“So it goes.”

With each little death of part of what has made America great for two and a half centuries, let us recall the imitable Kurt Vonnegut - “So it goes” - who as a POW survived in a meat locker in Slaughterhouse 5 the “friendly fire” of the Allies bombing of Dresden, Germany in WWII which resulted in a fire storm that consumed much of the city and tens of thousands of civilian men, women and children.

After each death the inimitable Kurt Vonnegut in Slaughterhouse 5 would write “So it goes.”

Trump is a cancer on America.

10 Likes

Yet another argument for universal mail-in voting.

22 Likes

Ms. Brutus and I have been mail-in voting for about 5 years now.

We’ll never go back.

11 Likes

Yep. Who’s gonna answer and how reliable are they?

Plus, like others have pointed out: what are the criteria for punching the button? Wrong skin color? Wrong accent??

2 Likes

I have to admit feeling slightly brave with my Harris-Walz sticker on my car and sign in my front yard. But, if you’ll excuse my crudeness, fuck 'em. Fuck 'em all.

7 Likes

So it goes.

5 Likes

Cobb County is suburban Atlanta?

1 Like

these changes make it harder for election workers to do their jobs, leading to more mistakes

The more things you require a poll worker to do, the more likely mistakes will be made.

Republicans aren’t crafting a method to improve the accuracy of vote counting. They’re crafting a process they can complain about.

6 Likes

Not sub-human. But all too human.

Uncivilized, anti-civilized louts to be sure, but human nonetheless.

3 Likes

I a a m reminded of a reaction a British friend and his Lebanese wife had after 9/11. They removed a bumper sticker off their car indicating they had a positive connection to that country. It was fear of what Americans might do to them or their car.

Foreigners’ fears of Americans in America (and elsewhere) are well founded. I remember an Iranian student of mine in 1979, who would tell people he was Persian - out of fear he might be assaulted by “patriotic” Americans because of his country of origin.

Trump is intentionally throwing gas on the flames of internal conflicts in this country in his unhinged pursuit of staying out of prison for the 34 felony crimes of which a jury found him guilty.

14 Likes

This is totally normal, and certainly not at all indicative of the danger of Trump and his Brownshirts and the sheer lunacy of the Trump/MAGA mob. Nothing to see here, and no reason for the media to report this as yet another reason that Trump should never hold office again, We wouldn’t want that.

8 Likes

I vote by mail in ballot. That way I vote at home. Safer that way. And that’s a sad comment right there.

7 Likes