George Santos Decides Suing Jimmy Kimmel Is Better Way To Get Attention Than Running For Congress

All he’ll end up doing is increasing Jimmy’s viewership, and giving some new comedy writers jobs.

You just can’t win, suing people who tell jokes for a living.

AND, you were a pubic figure at the time. Impossible to win a suit.

Not to be confused w/CARTESIAN logic. He is therefore he grifts.

1 Like

I’m not a lawyer, so please help me understand:

Does Santos own the video, or is he just “talent”? I thought it was licensed from Cameo. Aren’t they the party with standing to sue (assuming they didn’t license the video to Kimmel)?

And since that seems to be the case (per Cameo’s terms on their website https://legal.cameo.com/termsofservice ), wouldn’t that make this frivolous or at least dismissed for lack of standing?

2 Likes

All for chickens in the yard?
FRAUD!!!

Per the lawsuit, the “talent” retain the copyright, which has to be the case because otherwise the rights to the recordings would be totally uncontrollable by the minor celebrities who are selling themselves on the cheap.

It’s interesting being in the same place for 60+ years. The changes are interesting, what has been lost has been replaced with something new.

1 Like

If Devolder/Santos wanted attention he could just waltz into the House chamber an rip his clothes off and yell about Kimmel stealing those video clips. Then duke it out with security, get draggrd off yelling about chickens loose in his neighborhood

Santos understands that getting attention is the basis of our modern Attention Economy and the Attention Market. George’s only failure has been his ability to hold our attention, which is a limited resource. In this sense, he is like the dog that caught the car (or Ford F-150 pickup truck). Now that he’s lost his prey, he must go days without media attention. I think Trump, the Alpha Attention Predator, would vanish after just a month or two in the vacuum of Zero Attention. Sarah Palin, one of the first great Attention Ticks, still claimed personal worth of $8 million in 2021, was reduced to Cameo and Dancing with Stars. George better hit the dance studio.

Palin has an estimated net worth of US$8 million, according to Celebrity Net Worth. But how does she continue to fund her life without a fully paid job in politics? Business Insider reported that, in 2021 alone, she made around US$211,500 from Cameo, a platform where personalised videos can be bought. She also made money from speaking fees and a bus tour via her marketing company, Pie Spy LLC.

Note that ‘fair use’ is permitted, that being *

Fair Use – The Copyright Act specifically provides that the fair use of a copyrighted work is not an infringement of copyright. Use of a copyright work “for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching (including multiple copies for classroom use), scholarship, or research**” is not an infringement.

I’d go with criticism and comment.

Something tells me ABC’s lawyers are all over this.

I note that I am using the copyrighted material of Atty. Park of Berman Fink Van Horn. (please don’t sue me)

Fair use doesn’t work when it’s against the terms of service. Kimmel agreed not to reproduce or broadcast the copyrighted work, which eliminates his right to fair use.

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available