Garland: DOJ Voting Rights Push To Include Focus On Sketchy Audits, Elex Worker Threats | Talking Points Memo

Attorney General Merrick Garland laid out on Friday a muscular approach he says the Justice Department will take to protect the right to vote. In a policy speech at the department’s D.C. headquarters, Garland addressed not only the slew of restrictive voting measures advancing in GOP statehouses, but the harassment of election officials and the recent phenomena of dubious post-election “audits” that cast doubt on the 2020 results.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1377291

Forget the preliminaries.

Arrest Trump.

24 Likes

Party’s over boys.

18 Likes

So is Garland going to use federal law to stop the “audits” or not?

26 Likes

“We have not been blind to the dramatic increase in menacing and violent threats against all manner of state and local election workers, ranging from the highest administrators to volunteer poll workers,” Garland said. “Such threats undermine our electoral process, and violate a myriad of federal laws.”

Any intrepid reporters at that presser ask if this includes Donald Trump and Lindsey Graham?

40 Likes

Throw in a Federal lawsuit against the State of Georgia challenging their latest suppression legislation, and we’ve got something here.

33 Likes

I would’ve liked to have heard that there’s a Lear Jet loaded with US Marshals headed for Phoenix Intl this afternoon, to explain US election law to the Cyber Ninjas inside the Arizona Veterans Memorial Coliseum in no uncertain terms.

48 Likes

When the AZ audits started, I just knew this would happen…

(Of course, it’s easy for me to say this now :face_with_monocle:)

13 Likes

I’d prefer an F-16 or two, but your point is well taken.

23 Likes

I used to love Dandy Don Meredith intoning that song (to Howard Cosell’s delight) when the Game was put away on MNF

5 Likes

As for the drive for more post-election audits, which Garland described as fueled by “disinformation,” their “abnormal” methodologies “may put the integrity of the voting process at risk and undermine public confidence in our democracy.”

Only if they work exactly as intended.

24 Likes

With the …um…‘hand-rolled ciggie’ just off camera.

(G-d, I’m old.)

15 Likes

This sounds great. I hope it results in concrete actions against fraudits, inciters, terrorizers, and anyone else working to undermine democracy.

29 Likes

Howard: “The intercept was a superb example of the culmination of National Football League strategies which have taken hold as a result of a more cerebral approach to defense”

Don: “I believe I saw that inscribed on stone someplace.”

8 Likes

Right now it is just talk from Garland. I await tangible action.

15 Likes

OT, sorta:

And the book and the project will be released like a binary kraken in just two weeks!

32 Likes

No worries…In the coloring book racket it’s the art work that counts, not the writing.

19 Likes

Now, now, now, it’s Friday & almost Happy Hour…but your point is well taken :sunglasses:

8 Likes

Is it written with a black sharpie?

9 Likes

5 Likes