For Upcoming D.C. Protesters, Jan. 6 Was Just ‘Boomers Doing A Self-Guided Tour’ | Talking Points Memo

Btw this always reminds me of the Broken Spoke. Great two-step song.

2 Likes

2021 status: Still open, apparently under a long-term lease with the developer of the apartments.

3 Likes

I vaguely remember some talk of the case being properly in the
West District. Thanks for the info. I did wonder if the case was
going to trial too soon. I stand corrected. It was a weird time
working for LA Superior Court (civil).

2 Likes

I also remember some talk of keeping the trial in downtown LA because of a
more diverse jury pool. It was a long time ago and my memories are blurry

1 Like

We scooted our boots to Alvin Crow.

1 Like

I don’t think we ever got a particularly forthcoming explanation of why they moved the trial downtown, but I’m pretty sure they didn’t want LA to explode again a la the Rodney King verdict, which it might well have if OJ had been convicted by a jury of his Brentwood peers. But it pretty much assured that they were going to get a jury nullification acquittal downtown as a big eff-you to the cops and the DA’s office.

2 Likes

Yep. For any who’ve forgotten, on January 6th, 2021 the Capitol was closed to visitors!

3 Likes

The article, the headline and the GOP’ers described in the article used the term. I am, technically a boomer and have been called a boomer on this and other sites. It doesn’t bother me, particularly. If it did, I might have avoided the article and the comments so as not to have to read it.

1 Like

Just because you’re paranoid, does not mean they are not after you.

The Iron Works in downtown Austin.
A dumpy place (long gone) 3 blocks from my apartment would not make any “best” list ever, but they made a decent & inexpensive chopped beef sandwich. Those were the days.

2 Likes

I’ve been pondering since you made this comment earlier today: Who are the GOP 2024 primary candidates and what are their chances?

His If He Wants It Unless He’s In Prison: Trump

First Tier: Trump (from prison), DeSantis, Cruz

Second Tier: Abbott, Haley, Christie, Pence, Hawley

Third Tier: Token Black Guy, Noem, Pompeo, everybody else except Rubio

Rubio: Rubio

3 Likes

Ha! I ran into a group of Solicitor General Ted Cruz’s young (white, male) staff at The Iron Works at lunch one day in the late '00s. The guy I was eating with had, IIRC, gone to law school with one of them. Bunch of enthusiastically evil dudes, but genial enough company for cheap BBQ on the porch.

ETA: And yes, they were quite open about their intention to take over the entire government of the entire country.

1 Like

We were on student budgets and had to settle for cheaper BBQ. Green Mesquite was not too hard on the wallet then. I only got to eat at the Salt Lick when recruiters were paying.

2 Likes

Gas was, like, $1.19 a gallon, and the wait at the Salt Lick was easily passed with a couple of 12-packs on ice in a plastic cooler. This was, admittedly, 30 years ago, but I think a 3-meat plate with refills was something like $16. I enjoyed that barbecue as a splurge, and would happily have it for dinner tomorrow. I got engaged to my spouse driving back from the Salt Lick. I’m happy to report that I don’t have to drive that far to wait in line (or not) for actual Central Texas-style kick-ass barbecue.

2 Likes

That’s about where I’d place it except that I think Cruz has no chance. He has no juice outside of Texas and he already had his shot in 2016. I think Tom Cotton might get in there somewhere based only on military cred, which none of the others have.

If I had to put money on it right now, it would be DeSantis and Haley 2024 if the Orange Monster doesn’t run. Unless DeSantis has screwed up FL so badly that he can’t get reelected next year, and that’s a death sentence for 2024.

2 Likes

Cruz placed second in 2016, which traditionally makes him a frontrunner the next time there is an open seat.

Well, if we’re talking tradition, then Pence should be the frontrunner as the last GOP vice president.

I think Pence has about as much chance as Cruz, basically zero. The MAGA crowd will still be around to influence the primary, and they’ll be looking for someone that isn’t tainted like Pence due to 1/6, or losing to Trump in 2016 like Cruz. I know we’re just spitballin’ here and that’s a long way off. I just don’t see it.

1 Like

Counterpoint: Quayle '96.

Point taken, and we know Pence isn’t going anywhere. Maybe it’s just my perspective not living in Texas, but Cruz to me seems like a total loser on the national stage for all sorts of reasons. We’ll see.

That is why I put him below Drumpf. I have known Ted (remotely), and he ain’t shit.

2 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available