For A Second It Looked Like Grassley Was About To Rescue Pence From Sealing Trump’s Defeat

But alas.

On Tuesday morning, Roll Call reported that Sen. Chuck Grassley (R-IA), the president pro tempore of the Senate, said he would replace Vice President Mike Pence as presiding officer when Congress certifies the 2020 election results beginning on Wednesday.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1352169

For want of a comma, Mr. Grassley!

I bear the man no more ill will than any other Republican Senator, but Iowa, how are you still voting for this person? I get accrual of power and stuff, but are you really receiving effective representation?

(Also looking at you, Ms. Feinstein.)

17 Likes

“How can we make this more demeaning for Pence?”

“I know! We’ll have him upstaged by Grassley!”

“Who?”

27 Likes

Trial (lead) balloon?

28 Likes

Has Grassley said he would vote to certify the results or is he going to join the Sedition Caucus?

8 Likes

What a fucking cockup the GOP has created.

23 Likes

The Republican Party: Leadership by Deferment

15 Likes

Grassley is a doddering fool. As for Pence, we are about to witness the extent to which he is and remains a lickspittle. (with h/t to George Will)

15 Likes

A very corny move on Grassley’s part.
But turns out, he was full of beans.
Like they say in the Catskills, “'Soy vey.”

15 Likes

The whiplash-inducing episode highlighted the unenviable position in which Pence finds himself stuck

…and it also highlights that Grassley often has no idea what he’s doing, or sometimes tweeting. But, to be fair, that’s not actually news.

7 Likes

The one silver lining to all of this incendiary nonsense is that in the long run it may dispirit the MAGA types.

Always the false hope dashed always expectations not realized.
So much losing.
It is the only thing they understand. They have to have their spirits broken.

BTW in 2015 I didn’t believe it, I do now.

There will not be a rapprochement only their foot on our necks or ours on theirs.

I know which I’ll choose

15 Likes

“Pence reportedly had tentative plans to leave the Hill on Wednesday immediately after the joint session and take a trip to Bahrain, Israel and Poland instead.”

“Pence later announced that medical-scheduling conflicts precluded his presiding over the joint session, but said he was ‘really looking forward’ to his last-minute colonoscopy, root canal, and spinal tap.”

26 Likes

And with such a cushion for it to get so much worse. The next 48 hours could be epic. Fingers crossed.

10 Likes

I think Grassley is fully qualified to open some envelopes and hand the contents over to designated tellers for the counting. Pence, I’m not so sure, now that his guide fly’s gone missing.

14 Likes

Also, dementia.

9 Likes

Epic or not we all know how this ends - Joe Biden is President and Kamala Harris is Vice President.

25 Likes

Oh, you’re gonna get an earful for that one.

6 Likes

Aw shucks.

13 Likes

wouldn’t a spinal tap require a spine?

23 Likes

Was he wearing tassels at the time?

9 Likes