Florida GOPer Charged In Scheme To Run A Fake Dem Candidate | Talking Points Memo

A former Florida Republican state senator paid more than $40,000 over the course of a year to a sham candidate meant to siphon votes away from a Democratic politician in a state race last year, police say.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1365616
1 Like

Follow the money and there won’t be a GOP in two years time.

33 Likes

I am so glad about this. When I read about this scam last Fall – in the midst of all the Republican accusations amounting nothing – it made me sick to my stomach.

33 Likes

faces felony campaign finance charges

Music to my ears.

27 Likes

Only the best candidates?

7 Likes

The best candidates money can buy.

14 Likes

But mail in ballots!

9 Likes

Whenever there’s some kind of election fraud, the perp is almost inevitably a Republican.

30 Likes

The GQP is always claiming “false flag” scenarios whenever right-wingers get caught (e.g., most recently: Antifa leading the Capitol insurrection).

And, given their penchant for projecting (what is it with conservatives and their projection reflex?), I’ve long thought that their false-flagging calls are also a big tell: “Projection going on here.”

I know I’m biased, and I haven’t done a study or anything, but it seems to me that false flags are hoisted by right-wingers far more frequently (if not nearly entirely) than by left-wingers. I mean, there are some celebrated “under-cover sting operations” in which journalists or law enforcement pretend to be right-wing radicals for infiltration purposes, but, aside from obvious Borat-style satire, do left-wingers ever run for office as Republicans, just to mess things up? False flagging seems to be a right-wing specialty.

23 Likes

Ah, finally. I was waiting for this story.

10 Likes

Doesn’t this invalidate Garcia’s win?

14 Likes

Uploading: CBD9BC05-C59C-4447-9A7D-FFE8C587EC06.gif…

Hi! To find out what I can do, say @discobot display help.

2 Likes

Is the the 'election fraud’ that conservatives have been screaming about? Oh no, that’s just when black people and liberals vote.

I look forward to this never being covered by right-wing media and lets face it, probably most of the MSM will ignore it too.

13 Likes

Of course he drives an Escalade.

10 Likes

It’s all fun and games until you’re indicted for fraud…

12 Likes

In the ’60s, while politics in general was as deadly serious as it is today, there was also a lighter strain. Friend of mine was a popular (because effective) campaign manager and consultant. He pulled a few pranks on Republican candidates, but they were obvious pranks, not the kind of thuggery and fraud that Republicans need.

8 Likes

It remains unclear whether the thousands of dollars that Artiles gave Rodriguez are his own, or whether an unknown third party funded Artiles’s efforts, as local media reports have speculated.

What a tangled web republicans weave when first they practice to deceive.

Sorry, Sir Walter Scott. But if the phrase fits…

11 Likes

Yeah, they’re doing it.

12 Likes

Curious, does the state initiate a new election, adjust the outcome accordingly, or ?

M. Paul

2 Likes