Flaunting, Not Flouting: Abbott Stages Big Show Along Border After SCOTUS Rules Against Him - TPM – Talking Points Memo

Texas Governor Greg Abbott (R) has done nearly everything except what his supporters on the right are praising him for: defy the Supreme Court and the Biden administration.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1478911
1 Like

Maybe, Biden is waiting to nationalize the TNG til after the Ukraine/Immigration deal.

Not holding my breath.

2 Likes

Modest Proposal: eliminate white suffrage in Texas.

10 Likes

Executive Order 11111—Providing Assistance for the Removal of Obstructions of Justice and Suppression of Unlawful Combinations Within the State of Alabama

June 11, 1963

WHEREAS on June 11, 1963, I issued Proclamation No. 3542, pursuant in part to the provisions of section 334 of Title 10, United States Code; and

WHEREAS the commands contained in that Proclamation have not been obeyed, and the unlawful obstructions of justice and combinations referred to therein continue:

NOW, THEREFORE, by virtue of the authority vested in me by the Constitution and laws of the United States, including Chapter 15 of Title 10 of the United States Code, particularly sections 332, 333 and 334 thereof, and section 301 of Title 3 of the United States Code, it is hereby ordered as follows:

SECTION 1. The Secretary of Defense is authorized and directed to take all appropriate steps to remove obstructions of justice in the State of Alabama, to enforce the laws of the United States within that State, including the orders of the United States District Court for the Northern District of Alabama referred to in the said Proclamation, and to suppress unlawful assemblies, combinations, conspiracies and domestic violence which oppose or obstruct the execution of the laws of the United States or impede the course of justice under those laws within that State.

SEC. 2. In furtherance of the authorization and direction contained in section 1 hereof, the Secretary of Defense is authorized to use such of the Armed Forces of the United States as he may deem necessary.

SEC. 3. I hereby authorize and direct the Secretary of Defense to call into the active military service of the United States, as he may deem appropriate to carry out the purposes of this order, any or all of the units of the Army National Guard and of the Air National Guard of the State of Alabama to serve in the active military service of the United States for an indefinite period and until relieved by appropriate orders. In carrying out the provisions of section 1, the Secretary of Defense is authorized to use the units, and members thereof, called into the active military service of the United States pursuant to this section.

SEC. 4. The Secretary of Defense is authorized to delegate to the Secretary of the Army or the Secretary of the Air Force, or both, any of the authority conferred upon him by this order.

JOHN F. KENNEDY

THE WHITE HOUSE,

June 11, 1963

18 Likes

SCOTUS brought this on themselves by issuing wild unpopular ruling after wild unpopular ruling. They’re illegitimizing themselves. In that sense I’m glad it’s a Repugnican who finally burst their bubble of legitimacy.

17 Likes

Maybe he should be asking his two senators and large congressional delegation to do something if it’s such a crisis.

22 Likes

Truth. There are a lot of issues where I understand why people get upset about, this isn’t one of them. I absolutely fail to understand how people who have no intention of causing harm, who have no intention of being a drain on the system, and who in many cases are literal refugees who need help affects the life of any citizen to the degree that they seem to be willing to vote on it.

It absolutely can only be explained by racism and tribalism. The sad thing is that both major parties are guilty. The only president who has come close to having human, American, and frankly Christian, values when it comes to immigration was George w Bush, a war criminal.

10 Likes

I’m sure there’s a 17th century English jurist that Alito will cite to assert that the Supremacy Clause doesn’t say what it does.

17 Likes

Yes, it’s hard not to think racism plays a large part when there is never any discussion about punishing the businesses that use and abuse migrant labor.

24 Likes

https://imgur.com/gallery/yTdFrog.

50 Likes

Abbot erecting a Potemkin village border barrier.

7 Likes

The border and immigration are a sideshow. The real issue is that Putin Republicans do not want to provide aid to Ukraine.

I mean the obvious response to Abbott is that Biden and Democrats are trying to pass a bill that would address the very issues he is threatening successions over but that Republicans, claiming they want it as a political issue for November which in and of itself is classic bad politics.

We need to stop chasing the shiny objects Trump and other Republicans keep using to distract from the real issues and the real issue, one of the most important in the last 50 years, is helping Ukraine.

28 Likes

Flopping, floundering, foundering, failing. Shakespeare would call Abbott a fine, fond fool. Fuck 'im.

6 Likes

Amen! How many Oct 7 style massacres, rapes, beheadings, and hostage taking have any of the people crossing the border engaged in? Zero. How many native born Texans have engaged in mass shootings, child murders, et al? Many.

5 Likes

Lovely. Once again, Republicans starting a fire, blocking the streets, then blaming the fire department for their inability to put out the flames.

26 Likes

“[Abbott] has to have a big win, something he can talk about, and immigration is the easiest thing”

Yes. Take the easy way. That’s the Texas governor.

Taking the easy way, because Republicans believe voters are gullible. That might have been true in the Age of Limbaugh, but we ain’t in Kansas anymore. Sorry for the mixed metaphor.

The Digital Age is here. It blew Limbaugh away. Ironically, Joe Biden is more up-to-date and aware – you might say more knowledgeable – about the outlines of the Digital Age than most people. Yes, Biden’s old.

He’s also the President of the United States.

11 Likes

I wish Molly Ivins were still with us - the impeachment of Paxton alone would have filled 50 columns for her. As for Abbott - what a truly horrible person he is. He does not appear to have a beating human heart.

22 Likes

SCOTUS shouldn’t be making their rulings based on being wildly popular, they should be grounded in the law with great attention paid to precedent, but not being a slave to it.

THIS SCOTUS, however, makes far too many rulings on their own personal beliefs with some pretty wild justifications to try to legitimize what, I’m pretty confident, they know is bad law. And thusly leads to wild unpopularity as well as unfairness.

11 Likes

I don’t understand the reliance on lawsuits. Just send in the COE and tear all that shit out now. Let Abbott and Paxton sue if they don’t like it. Can’t anyone here play this game?

2 Likes

The pump don’t work cuz the vandals took the handles…

10 Likes