Fifth Circuit Gives Red States Chance For Even Bigger Win In Biden Social Media Case

The Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals gave red states another bite at the apple Monday in a major social media case that badly hamstrung the Biden administration’s efforts to confront misinformation. 

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1469491

We have no chance in the 5th Circuit…Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi.

17 Likes

These hillbillies want the right to revert to the Confederacy through government-sanctioned lies, deceit, misinformation, and shameless propaganda.

19 Likes

So, with this, it is legally fine to lie in social media.

Just means the sane amongst us must flood social media with the truth without referring to their lies.

I think we can make that happen.

12 Likes

The judicial branch of our government is being consumed by fascism thanks to our corrupted scotus and their financial sponsors. The obscenely wealthy have essentially purchased an exemption from legislative and executive decisions. The court mullahs shall rule us by decree. The constitution? What a quaint concept.

26 Likes

Social media and let’s not forget the MSM where there was not one story about Trump calling for the execution of Mark Milley. I didn’t see one here either, but maybe I missed it.

16 Likes

There’ve been comments throughout the day, but yes, you are correct, at least the MM didn’t reflect anything of that story.

4 Likes

The police consistently ‘coerce’ drunk drivers into their police vehicles. No fair!!!

3 Likes

“…the judges showed extraordinary latitude to the right-wing litigants in a case that has astounded First Amendment and social media experts.”

Whoever these so-called “experts” are, I’d respectfully suggest that these jokers pull their tweedy heads out of their collective asses and stop being constantly surprised, shocked, amazed and fucking “astounded” and take a good long look at what the fuck is happening right in front of their eyes every single fucking day. You can’t really mount much of an offense or figure out how to protect what you’ve already got when you’re perpetually behind the fucking curve so much that you keep being upended by exactly the fucking results your opponent is constantly telegraphing. You’re ether not paying attention, not much of an expert, or both.

7 Likes

Wow. The Fifth Circuit short-circuits sanity for freedumb. They’re gruesome, these judges.

8 Likes

Hillbillies they most certainly are, but they’re fucking winning, hands down. What does that say about our so-called “experts” when these fascist redneck morons can run circles around us?

6 Likes
8 Likes

In the old days, I’d say we needed weaponized disinformation sources against wingnut favorite to change the courts’ and legislatures’ minds, but nowadays they have no compunction about ruling one way in one case and then the opposite way in another case, based only on their perception of the party affiliation of the plaintiff. So a republican government coercing social or other media would be just fine.

9 Likes

So not only is it legal and financially enriching to spread health disinformation during a national health emergency, that deadly health disinformation has all the status of the truth in law.

The ugly creature nested round the heart of our country is having to show itself too far to maintain power. Look at the painful logical knots it makes. See the outline of its power.

No wonder it calls for blood. It’s the last truth it wishes as it thrashes in the dirt and the sun.

7 Likes

They won’t be happy until Alex Jones is able to sue the victims of Sandy Hook for defemation.

15 Likes

I had to renew my Fifth Circuit bar membership recently. It felt pretty gross giving them the $50.

24 Likes

The Facebook Court

4 Likes

The press has talked about it before

The irk should be that it’s treated as a new thing.

7 Likes

“You can’t scream fire in a crowded theater!”
“I have a billion dollars that says I can.”
“OK, try to scream more softly in the future.”

People are very confused about the first amendment, and that seems to include a hell of a lot of judges.

13 Likes

Really, $50.00. I want to send you 5 bucks just for the learning I got from you.

Also, you ought not to bear this ugly tax alone, my brother!

6 Likes