Feinstein Announces She Will Not Run For Re-Election in 2024 - TPM – Talking Points Memo

Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-CA) announced on Tuesday she will not run for re-election in 2024, but will complete her existing term.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1448246
3 Likes

The temptation to snark something like “there’s a fuckin’ surprise” is huge. But the truth is, my heart isn’t in it. A lot of people spent a lot of time being angry at her over things she’s terrible on and never gave her due credit for the things she’s great on, because the Internet can’t do shades of grey. Especially when it’s a woman.

80 Likes

That seems like a pretty early announcement. But then, Pat Toomey announced not running on Oct 5 2020, which is even earlier.

12 Likes

So long and thanks for all the fish.

Onward to defeating whatever crazy kook the CA GOP foists on the race.

11 Likes

Thank for your service, we’ll take it from here.

(Also resisting the urge to snark about DiFi Inc.)

10 Likes

Feinstein has always worked to do her best for the people in CA. You might not have agreed on all of her policy positions, but that’s normal, and used to be expected…it’s sad how absolute things have become. Here she has served us again, retiring pretty much guarantees that the seat will remain Democratic, and we’ll have an excellent senator no matter who wins.

Hopefully she is able to enjoy her retirement, though if the rumors of her dementia are true that’s not very likely unfortunately.

33 Likes

Thank you for your service Senator.

It sounded like she was going to retire after making that statement that she was going to announce her decision in early 2024. It looks like she was gently asked to make the announcement sooner because of the candidates running for her seat.

19 Likes

Thank you for your service, take anything you like from the gift shop.

22 Likes
Just a day later, Rep. Barbara Lee (D-CA) told lawmakers she is running for Senate in a closed-door Congressional Black Caucus meeting.

Wouldn’t it be better to run for Senate in California?

17 Likes

With the top two primary the R might not even get to the finals.

15 Likes

That’s exactly what happened in 2018. And I presume the GOP candidates will be the usual misfit toys.

29 Likes

Thank you, Madam Senator. It’s the right thing to do.

20 Likes

At least she didn’t discuss filling in the San Andreas Fault with the other Senators…

2 Likes

I don’t see any good reason why she isn’t retiring a lot sooner. She should have retired long ago, and would have been well remembered for it.

2 Likes

Thank you Senator Feinstein for ending a long career of service on a positive note.

14 Likes

Barring something crazy happening or a normal Republican coming up (Valadao), the California GOP’s chances are basically this song

2 Likes

… except the classified dox. I know, I know; everybody’s doing it. But don’t.

12 Likes

Barack Mandela is one of the declared interested candidates.

1 Like

is not what came to my mind. My deepest most sincere thanks to my senator and before that my mayor for her service to the city I live in and we both love.

37 Likes

Senator Adam Schiff. Get used to it.

15 Likes