Experts Warn Democracy ‘Now At Risk’ Unless Congress Combats Wave Of Restrictive Voting Laws | Talking Points Memo

More than 100 democracy scholars called on Congress to pass national level voting rights legislation as an increasing number of GOP-led state legislatures work to implement restrictive laws at the state level in a statement issued Tuesday.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1376034
1 Like

Ugh…fixing this relies first on Manchin and his beloved filibuster. FML.

16 Likes

Congress does not BELIEVE in ‘democracy’…or at least one side doesn’t.

12 Likes

When all lights are flashing red and your hair is on fire ….

19 Likes

We are so far down the road I fear this is far too little far too late.
There is no longer an interest on part of GOP for free & fair elections. They simply want power by any means necessary.

Clearly, democracy is no longer part of that means.

12 Likes

They couldn’t do it without Citz U and the SCOTUS. A river of dodgy money runs through this whole mess.

16 Likes

Experts Warn Democracy Now At Risk…

It’s about time, say Republicans.

12 Likes

Even if Manchin has an epileptic fit whenever faced with Republican intransigence such that he doesn’t see it, you’d hope he’d notice the smell of burning hair.

10 Likes

I sure looks like Republicans are setting up now to let majority-Republican state legislatures just ignore votes and declare election results to be whatever they want them to be.

16 Likes

I do think there is a glimmer of hope in the fact that Schumer said he’s bringing SB1 to the floor at the end of the month. While Manchin continues to cling to the filibuster, I’ve gotta believe Schumer wouldn’t bring this thing to a vote unless he has Manchin’s buy-in to pass the thing. More and more, this bill is starting to feel like it’s going through the same ups and downs that eventually lead to the passage of Obamacare.

32 Likes

Time to make a choice between Constitutional democracy and an outdated Senate rule that Republicans will get rid of anyway as soon as they regain power.

20 Likes

It’s possible that Manchin (and Sinema) have indicated to Schumer that they won’t let the filibuster stand in the way of passage, but it’s at least as likely that Schumer just needs to put it on the floor so he can move on to the next reconciliation bill. He can’t just fail to bring SB1 to a vote while hoping endlessly that maybe the despicable duo will decide the filibuster is bad after all.

Also possible: They could be setting up a rules change to return to a talking, hold-the-floor filibuster. If that’s the plan, though, they’re being remarkably tight-lipped about it.

23 Likes

It would help if the Tumor was excised… instead it keeps metastasizing

• fueling the fire … spewing toxins
11 Likes
6 Likes

Right, because the only things the GQP cares about are power, wealth (their own only) and winning. Somehow democracy does not fit into their belief system.

6 Likes

He’d originally said he expected to bring it up in August, so I see it as a good sign that he’s moved that up. And I’m not sure why he can’t just let that bill languish while moving forward with other ones. McConnell did that for six years.

12 Likes

Republicans simply cannot win on a level playing field, as we all know. Now they are tilting that field even further in state after state. They have to “cheat” to win.

6 Likes

“In the process, violence and corruption typically flourish . . ."

I think we are already experiencing the downward spiral.

9 Likes

These experts are a little late.

It’s the French in May 1940.

5 Likes

Because, win or lose, he needs the vote to take place so Dems can run on it next year. The bill is broadly popular, especially with Dem voters. A win would be a big deliverable Dems can brag on to their voters. A loss would be Republicans standing in the way of people’s right to vote. Either way, the bill needs to be voted on so it can be an issue for the '22 election.

15 Likes