Even The Biggest Gun Bro Doesn’t Wanna Touch The NRA Right Now

Hello, it’s the weekend. This is The Weekender ☕

The right-wing Washington Examiner published a funny non-story on Friday headlined, “Donald Trump Jr. appreciates but rejects offer to run NRA.” I call it a non-story because the National Rifle Association never actually offered Don Jr. the position — the Examiner aggregated a report from The Reload gun magazine about an NRA board member suggesting in an email that Don Jr. might be a good fit. And Don Jr. only rejected the supposed “offer” because the Washington Examiner called someone “close to” him to ask about it. 

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1487515

More of the same, only louder, because we know SHOUTING IN ALL CAPS makes it true!

34 Likes

Sleepy Saturday

40 Likes

JFC, is the Tampa paper now just reprinting Trooth threads with no editorial content?

18 Likes

On Trump Immunity Claims

" …Rather than grapple with the situation at hand — a defeated president worked with his allies to try to overturn the results of an election he lost, eventually summoning a mob to try to subvert the peaceful transfer of power — the Republican-appointed majority worried about hypothetical prosecutions against hypothetical presidents who might try to stay in office against the will of the people if they aren’t placed above the law.

“It was a farce befitting the absurdity of the situation. Trump has asked the Supreme Court if he is, in effect, a king. And at least four members of the court, among them the so-called originalists, have said, in essence, that they’ll have to think about it.”Jamelle Bouie, New York Effing Times, on the corrupt Republican Supreme Court’s review of the Malignant Loser’s claims of absolute immunity from crimes committed while in office.

49 Likes

What happened to Lara Trump’s face? Was she born with it? I know it is inappropriate to criticize someone’s looks, but the toying with one’s appearance seems to be a “Trumpy thing.”

20 Likes

Wait!

A Trump “doesn’t want to touch any more potentially fraudulent organizations”. Are you sure about that rationale? It flies in the face of a long history.

31 Likes

Ironically, in a study by the British Transportation Ministry, all caps is much harder to read and comprehend than standard upper and lower case.

37 Likes

From Heather Cox Richardson:

Yesterday, in a long story about “the petty feud between the [ New York Times ] and the White House,” Eli Stokols of Politico suggested that the paper’s negative coverage of President Joe Biden came from the frustration of its publisher, A. G. Sulzberger, at Biden’s refusal to do an exclusive interview with the paper. Two people told Stokols that Sulzberger’s reasoning is that only an interview with an established paper like the New York Times “can verify that the 81-year-old Biden is still fit to hold the presidency.

For his part, Stokols reported, Biden’s frustration with the New York Times reflects “the resentment of a president with a working-class sense of himself and his team toward a news organization catering to an elite audience,” and their conviction that the newspaper is not taking seriously the need to protect democracy.

A spokesperson for the New York Times responded to the story by saying the idea that it has skewed its coverage out of pique over an interview is “outrageous and untrue,” and that the paper will continue to cover the president “fully and fairly.”

Today, Biden sat for a live interview of more than an hour with SiriusXM shock jock Howard Stern. Writer Kurt Andersen described it as a “Total softball interview, mostly about his personal life—but lovely, sweet, human, and Biden was terrific, consistently clear, detailed, charming, moving. Which was the point. SO much better than his opponent could do.”

56 Likes

Shucks. I was hoping to see if the Touch of Death™ was inherited by Jr.

10 Likes

All of them.

23 Likes

More likely, given the increased scrutiny the NRA’s finances will be under for the foreseeable future, there is an insufficient amount of $$$$$ that can be easily scraped off and pocketed, so not worth the work involved even for a largely ceremonial position.

29 Likes

Had a hard time reading this Weekender through to the end. Faint nausea would describe my difficulty. Becoming more frequent with the current menu of malfeasance, cruelty and simple evil. We seem to have found the demarcation line implied in the paradox of tolerance; i.e., if a society’s practice of tolerance is inclusive of the intolerant intolerance will ultimately dominate, eliminating the tolerant and the practice of tolerance with them.

30 Likes

I don’t require their amateur geriatric medicine services. I’ve actually seen and heard Biden. He’s old. He has an arthritic back and feet, one of which he broke a few years ago. It affects his gait. He has a speech impediment he’s worked hard to overcome, but sometimes he stutters. Like me, he’s old (Gadzooks! He’s oooold!) and like me he forgets things occasionally and gaffes. His mind appears sound. He delivers one liners with ease and has a wicked sense of humor and is well informed. As far as I can see, he’s in full range of his faculties and unlike the the other guy isn’t on trial and under a plenitude of federal indictments, isn’t deranged and demented and doesn’t shitpost multiple times a day until 3am and isn’t a pathological liar. I could go on.

So you fuck you Sulzberger, you entitled posh boy asshole. You inherited your wealth, you one percenter! Besides that, what else the fuck have you ever done?

95 Likes

Given the NYT’s non-stop carping about every single thing Biden has done and not done, I am not at all surprised that Joe is less than enthusiastic about wasting his time sitting down with a NYT reporter so he can be asked if he’s stopped beating his wife. Their bias has been and continues to be visible to all.

64 Likes

Perfectly stated.

24 Likes

Well I’ll go out on a limb here and say Trump has never been “consistently clear”, “detailed”, or “moving”. As for “charming” it’s in the eye of the beholder Trumpwise.

29 Likes

Barr thinks people took Trump too literally.

36 Likes

And this may be why. The Times is anti-union. That’s not unusual for a US Newspaper. Anti-unionism goes way back in the 4th estate. Biden is pro-union with a working class background. I believe, just my opinion, that this is a major reason for their bias.

45 Likes

If you happen to have a few moment free this weekend, and care about public libaries –

Tell Congress to Fund Libraries!

We are requesting funding of at least $232 for the Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) and $50 million for Innovative Approaches to Literacy (IAL). Learn more about the campaign – and find tools to share this action – at ALA’s #FundLibraries homepage.

Over the next couple of weeks, we will be sharing the stories of libraries nationwide that rely on LSTA and IAL to serve their patrons. Please help us share and highlight these stories to help all our communities understand the urgency behind funding libraries.

Now stand with libraries, library workers, and the communities they serve: take action to #FundLibraries!

Speak Up for Library Funding!

Thank you for all you do for libraries! They are not just all about books anymore. But, I still do like the books the best.

41 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available