Election Deniers Are Walking Back Their Claims For the General Election

In the more than 50 years I have watched folks in power in our government and those who aspire to getting elected one characteristic stands out. Election or reelection matters most to these people. Everything revolves around it. So, politician will say what they need to in order to get elected. It could be truthful (rarely so) or it could be lies (way more common). Sometimes one party is more egregious with their lies and BS. Currently the GOP (I call them insultingly … goobers) has the gravy train of bullshit in hand but I have seen democrats commit this stupidity as well but not as a general rule. To be a politician one must leave decency, personal honor and truthfullness outside the door as telling folk how it really is will not get one elected.

The Qanon bullshit is exceedingly malignant. For some reason otherwise sane folk cleave to it. Some months ago hundreds of people gathered in Dealey Plaza, Dallas because Qanon had convinced them JFK Jr was gonna reanimate from the dead and show up to crown trump as their rightful president. Just this past week a European politician misspoke about the war in Ukraine. Instead of saying "February 24th as the invasion date he said September 24th and Qanon ran with it as an announcement that 9/24/22 was gonna be the end of the world. This is malignant. It showed up all over the web and scared folk silly.
We live in irrational times.

13 Likes

It’s very close (if polling can be trusted) and the momentum is with Democrats.

15 Likes

38 Likes

Hmmmm…I had to read Haberman‘s tweet to make sure I knew who was disparaging whom, as the insulting adjectives work in both directions.

13 Likes

Here’s looking at you, babe.

2 Likes

Cool photo — took me a bit to figure it out!

12 Likes

Looks like the “Eye of Sudson.”

14 Likes

I’ve gotta believe that Nancy P does NOT want the House to leave her control…extrapolate that anyway we want

8 Likes

Hence Carter’s single term.

19 Likes

I was hoping it’d be the Philadelphia (Medal of) Freedom he’d be awarded, but yes: Decency seems such a rare thing these days.

20 Likes

and he will…both things

2 Likes

Barasso’s so fucking arrogant and full of shit, he must be a doctor.

24 Likes

I don’t get the sense that polling outfits have overcorrected their likely voter screen after Dobbs.

When faced with something that changes the fundamentals is an unclear way, and without historical precedent I’d expect that the voter screens remain conservative in how much they changed after Dobbs.

It may just be these likely voter screen haven’t changed and though the trajectory is informative the top line numbers may miss a few % points for team blue.

If so then that difference means a lot regarding final control of the House.

12 Likes

“I don’t know who they think they’re going to be able to fool.”

The namesake of their party had something to say about that, but I think their tactics are flawed.

5 Likes

“Fat Ron – that’s what I call him.
You don’t see Fat Ron out there on the golf course, carrying his bags from hole to hole, deciding when to make a chip shot. Ron doesn’t exercise, Ron doesn’t decide. He steals from me. You know, I said, ‘Send Mexicans to these rich, lib’rul cities?’ Did Ron say it was my idea? No! He stole it. Pretended it was his. That’s what he does, steals and lies. The FBI should search his house, show us what a lying thief he is…”

11 Likes

We all have our predilections, but we won’t really know for several weeks. If the polls are way off then we’ll know we never should have trusted them several weeks before and we’ll get incensed retroactively.

10 Likes

Odd, you’d think before making such an obtuse statement that George would’ve asked his boss, Bill Clinton, if it was possible.

Has it been that long since George stopped talking to Bill?

1 Like

as relayed by Bob…

Half of the people can be part right all of the time
Some of the people can be all right part of the time
But all of the people can’t be all right all of the time
I think Abraham Lincoln said that
I’ll let you be in my dreams if I can be in yours
I said that

-Talking WWiii blues

4 Likes

There’s no risk of Barrasso pulling a Liz Cheney.

12 Likes

Barasso’s so fucking arrogant and full of shit, he must be a doctor.

Barrasso flies under the radar, but he’s as bad and as MAGA-ist as Hawley and Cruz. And because he’s from Wyoming, he can get away with outlandish, ridiculous positions on any number of issues without consequence. He undoubtedly lacks the moral strength and integrity of Liz Cheney.

21 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available