Election Deniers Are Walking Back Their Claims For the General Election

“I very much believe it and I think it exists.”

That’s what New Hampshire Senate hopeful Don Bolduc told the New Yorker last October when asked whether he genuinely believed that the 2020 election was stolen from former President Donald Trump through voter fraud.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1433470
1 Like

“The election was not stolen. Elections have consequences

Betcha he walks this back when he loses.

51 Likes

Some happier news…

Decency is a good thing

49 Likes

While it reveals their total lack of scruples, it’s still heartening that the majority of the country is not with Republicans on the big lie and abortion.

You can fudge your positions and tailor them for the general election to a degree, but not when it induces whiplash.

23 Likes

According to political behavior it is OK to lie when speaking to a crowd… but not in court
And “hard and fast” positions, like the big lie, are fluid and get “adjusted” when it looks like voters are turned off.
There is no honor in politics. If there is it is very very rare. And it makes for a short career.
One thing is certain I think. Women are Pissed about the Roe v Wade elimination. I mean from both parties.

20 Likes

Flexible and Fluid political positions remain a mask for Fascism. Don’t be Fooled!

10 Likes

Not sure if they’re genuinely full of bs or full of genuine bs. It’s not a good look either way.

15 Likes

That doesn’t mean that suburban white mom and dad won’t vote for them anyway because it’s become too expensive to fill up her Tahoe, dad’s F150 and their boat with lots of big, chrome pipes sticking out the back.

29 Likes

Oh I thought it was getting too expensive to do anything for the those without.

7 Likes

Walking back vs doubling down may just be a matter of reading the crowd and deciding what most of them will go for.

ETA but that’s both a matter of content and a matter of style, what you want as your brand; e.g., responsive vs tough and unrelenting. The norms of advertising have turned too much of our civic discourse into a game of images and fantasies.

20 Likes

In other words, it is another story when they win their election.

9 Likes

This is why we must hold the Senate.

45 Likes

It really wasn’t a great step forward for the country when Republicans discovered they could say wildly contradictory things to various audiences and not be punished but rather rewarded for it. Remember when it was common for politicians to call one another “flip-flopper”? Haven’t heard the term or the idea expressed for quite some time. All right, I suppose I have. But the actual contradictory stuff is depressingly common with their lot. Saying this unironically for once, you hate to see it.

37 Likes

They flip flop because they believe the votes will not remember what they said three months ago. ‘Voters will forget what happened in the past and will listen to what I say now’. Hence why they do flip flop and most get away with it.

15 Likes

Running hard right, then doing a U for the general election works for Republicans. Consider who the voters are: you’ve got your trumplicans, and they’re in the can; you sealed that deal in the primary. The Dems won’t be voting for you in any event.

Then there are the unaffiliated, self-proclaimed “independents.” If they actually kept up with the news, they’d likely be aligned with a party. You can tell them one thing in June and the opposite in October, and they’ll believe the last thing they heard. Win!

13 Likes

Don’t tar them all with the Qpublican brush.

3 Likes

I assume their opponents will point this out.

3 Likes

His song, Philadelphia Freedom is a song with several sections all fitting in perfectly, musically and lyrically.

The last section is a musical knockout

11 Likes

Their hard-core voters know the game, those independents who pay attention only during Ellection season haven’t a clue about anything prior about 2to 3 months prior to election.

8 Likes

Months ago, Rachel Maddow was commenting on McCarthy’s about-face with Trump re: January sixth…she was handing off to O’Donnell and both spoke of it as though it was a definite setback for McCarthy.

Instead, Qevin kept on lyin’.

17 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available