Eastman Insists He Def Doesn’t Believe Memo’s ‘Crazy’ Plots To Steal Election Were Real | Talking Points Memo

Doing batshit crazy stuff on behalf of the folks who want a Russian-modeled government has become just fine today. That’s why they do interviews and talk about it all the time. There’s no risk in it if you’re on the side of the despots. The field is so fucking un-level right now it’s amazing prez Biden can even stand upright.

4 Likes

When you’re a star, they let you get away with it.

7 Likes

He’s got 1st amendment rights. Let him speak. He’s a lawyer. He must know what he is doing.

11 Likes

overthrowing the government

Dear Mr. Eastman,

If I build a bomb to blow up the Capitol, can I ignore subpoenas too?

Sincerely,
Nobody In Particular

11 Likes

Why is this guy even trying to clean up his reputation? In the ocean he swims in, he didn’t do anything wrong. Quite the opposite.

9 Likes

“What a tangled web we weave when first we practice… law” - John Eastman

10 Likes

That is very essence of lawyering, no?…how to violate the law legally in order to not be charged with violating it.

2 Likes

Oh, he’s still got a career. But not the one he envisioned when he wrote that shit.

5 Likes

It takes a lawyer to squirm away from truth so effectively.

1 Like

Yes, of course. They can still compel you to testify, however. Eastman might want to consider taking the Fifth Amendment route out of that, judging by this ill-considered and self-destructive interview.

14 Likes

We have to stop letting these people off the hook by calling them idiots. This man is a licensed attorney who was working at the highest levels of government where the foundation of our constitutional law are regularly discussed.

We wouldn’t call a doctor that killed their patient because they claim they don’t know how to properly dose medicine and idiot because they are specifically trained and licensed to do that job and are bound by professional ethics because we allow them to practice.

I know you’re not really defending Eastman, but any argument that he isn’t a criminal that was at least part of a conspiracy to overthrow the legitimate government of the United States lets him off too easy.

34 Likes

Self-destructive seems to describe his entire career arc.

8 Likes

Indeed. It’s common knowledge that Eastman sometimes believes six impossible things before breakfast.

10 Likes

I’m so old I remember when the August 6th, 2001 PDB was “just a historical document - based on old reporting! - with no ‘actionable’ intelligence!”

16 Likes

“It was by a phone conversation, and I’ve gone back in my phone records, and I have so many calls, I can’t tell, you know, which call it was,” he told the National Review.

So it may follow that if those calls were in the furtherance of a conspiracy to subvert the constitution, they are not privileged communications? Are those call records then available?

4 Likes

This is sort of WaR, but… I’m wondering if maybe Giuliani and TFG didn’t call Mike Lee by mistake on Jan 6, when they were trying to reach a senatorial co-conspirator. Maybe they were, in fact, calling the right co-conspirator, but shit had gotten real and Lee wasn’t up for insurrections anymore. So he gave the phone to Tuberville instead.

13 Likes

This rings a bell.

“Not intended to be a factual statement.” – Jon Kyl.

Sidney Powell, telling the court she was just lawering/lying.

And now, Eastman.

12 Likes

Gee, I’m as shocked as Mr. Rains. The same Federalist Society muckety muck who penned a 2016 racist, birther, and–above all–legally risible screed that argued Kamala Harris was constitutionally ineligible to serve as VP or president, is not merely a fascist, not merely a lying fascist, but a lying fascist whose lies are so transparent that they insult our intelligence.

18 Likes

You see, when I wrote that I was…

6 Likes

“It’s not my fault the patient died! I only wrote that prescription for a massive, fatal dose of morphine because somebody (I can’t remember who) asked me to. See, it’s nothing to do with me!”

14 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available