Eastman Insists He Def Doesn’t Believe Memo’s ‘Crazy’ Plots To Steal Election Were Real | Talking Points Memo

John Eastman, the Trump legal adviser behind the infamous memo (which had two similar drafts) detailing various strategies for then-Vice President Mike Pence to thwart the 2020 election certification, is insisting that he totally didn’t think those options were legit and were, in fact, totally bonkers, and Eastman does not believe in ideas that are bonkers, thank you very much!

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1391817
1 Like

“Call me the white-knight hero here, talking [Trump] down from the more aggressive position,” the attorney told the National Review.

You’ll forgive me if I choose not to call you this.

86 Likes

It sounds like someone was caught and is trying desperately to lie his way out of losing his law license and his liberty. As it is Eastman has realized he will be viewed by history as either an idiot or an enemy of the United States Constitution or both. That is bad for his legal career.

85 Likes

Okay. He’s in the Clear…let’s move on… :crazy_face:

37 Likes

Shouldn’t be walking it back, should own his shit. Nothing wrong with some creative and clever lawyering, this just makes him look pathetic.

24 Likes

Hahahhaha Can’t help it, watching this entitled jerk try and weasel his way out of trouble is just rich. Have to keep that superior edge doncha know. Before long he will disavow ever meeting with TFG.

33 Likes

Here’s some free legal advice: STFU.

81 Likes

Ummmmmmm…back-pedaling there, Eastman? Too late…

41 Likes

White Knight? No, Eastman, you’re the other one. BlackKnight

39 Likes

Eastman Insists He Def Doesn’t Believe Memo’s ‘Crazy’ Plots To Steal Election Were Real

He further states that he is getting ready to meet the great pumpkin, the tooth fairy, and the Easter bunny, who are real

23 Likes

I believe what I’m willing to call him is a liar.

62 Likes

His memorandum states “So here’s the scenario we propose…” Looks bad, but in Claremontspeak, it actually means “so here’s the scenario we propose be rejected, as it could be viewed as an attempt to subvert the Constitution and overthrow democracy.” A lot of people don’t know that.

53 Likes

Yes, Your Honor, in a sense I did fire a howitzer at my neighbor’s house, but that was simply part of an investigation of various scenarios for resolving our property-line dispute. Inasmuch as I missed the house and hit the orphanage instead, I think I could be considered the white-knight hero here.

56 Likes

Oh sure thing -how convenient that Eastman cannot recall. He is a liar and good lord a lawyer who should know better than to talk about any of this. Jeebus.

Unfortunately, Eastman couldn’t “recall” which legal team member gave him that task because he has too many darn phone calls.

26 Likes

“And then Trump was all, ‘What’s the CRAZIEST, worst thing we could do, like just hypothetically, in case we have to prepare if the Democrats try it, write down all the things we would never do’ and I was like, yeah, I can put that together, for like, a laugh, something we totally would never try because it’s nuts, plus illegal or something, obv, hahaha’ so I pretty much saved democracy, you’re welcome.”

45 Likes

Well, he has enough self awareness to realize what an idiot he looks like now.

This is why there needs to be some real consequences for these folks, so other people in this position in the future, and there will be some likely in the near future, will think once or twice about it before they write such garbage down. Maybe they will keep their mouth shut about how to justify overthrowing the US government.

23 Likes

Perhaps a visit to the Carlton Reserve would be advisable, too. I hear it’s lovely this time of year, especially now that it’s dried out a bit.

12 Likes

Trying really hard to hold on to his law license?

10 Likes

Mike Lee is not going to be happy that Eastman has just made him a potential recipient of a call from the Select Committee.

43 Likes

Eastman is a bold face liar and history revisionist. He provided major assistance in trying to overthrow the goverment of the United States. He should be disbarred immediately.

35 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available