Dominion Keeps Up Defamation Lawsuits, Filing Against OANN, Newsmax and Patrick Byrne | Talking Points Memo

Dominion Voting Systems has filed yet more defamation lawsuits over false statements about the 2020 elections, requesting $1.6 billion in damages each from Newsmax, One America News Network, and ex-Overstock CEO Patrick Byrne.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1384080
1 Like

This is excellent. Keep the pressure on. There is such a thing as consequences for lies and perhaps these groups and individuals will begin to understand and appreciate that Trump’s talking points are simply lies. They should have known better but each was protected by the Republican Party. Time to get real. Excellent news.

66 Likes

You should change the photo caption $100 to ‘$100 bill’

12 Likes

You need to know geometry to assemble swing sets.

23 Likes

The complaint cited the sham “audit” in Maricopa County, Arizona as the prime example.

Byrne, for example, runs the group that has supplied more than half of the audit’s funding, to the tune of $3.25 million, according to auditors. The suit also noted that two OANN anchors named as defendants, Chanel Rion and Christina Bobb, run their own group that paid the auditors $605,000.

Someone’s been following the money.

72 Likes

I think I need to invest in Dominion. They’re going to have some very positive cash flow in the near future.

51 Likes

Perfectly said.

24 Likes

Yeah, and they might also be the new owners of some media outlets. Hahahahaha!

34 Likes

Freedom of speech means the government can’t stop anyone from saying anything, short of something life threatening like yelling fire in a crowded theatre.

Freedom of speech doesn’t mean you can say anything and suffer no consequences. People are responsible for what they say, and if what they say is false, they are responsible for the damage they cause.

I worked in responsible newsrooms for 35 years. Our lawyers taught us that juries hate the media, so we were not allowed to put anything on the air unless we had evidence for it so strong that a judge would throw a lawsuit out before it ever got to a jury. That is the polar opposite to the standard used at Fox and Oann, which appears to be “put anything on the air that helps our side politically, then scream ‘censorship’ anytime we get caught lying.”

That works fine, until someone with deep pockets sues you. Then you end up with empty pockets.

73 Likes

Don’t settle. Drive them all into bankruptcy. They lack Trump’s ability to rise from the ashes, and without their support, so will Trump.

51 Likes

LOL, I was just going to post the exact same thought…

17 Likes

Both Byrne and OANN, for example, promoted Edward Solomon, who they characterized as an expert mathematician who had evidence that Dominion machines manipulated votes.

In fact, Dominion’s OANN suit alleged, Solomon was no “expert mathematician” but rather “a convicted drug dealer who never graduated college and whose current job was setting up swing sets in Long Island, New York.”

I knew they were bad at this, but this is even more incompetent then I was expecting. I mean, did they just pick this guy up off the street and say “you are now an expert mathematician”?

They either did not run these actions past their legal department or their lawyers are 100% incompetent.

46 Likes

And the Gawker lawsuit proved that someone with deep pockets can sue you into bankruptcy and liquidation:

I’m surprised Fox’s lawyers haven’t been screaming that these lawsuits could quite literally end Fox News.

23 Likes

It’s a little difficult when you need someone to play the role of “expert mathematician”, but can’t risk hiring anyone who understands numbers.

32 Likes
7 Likes

How’s that making stuff up working out for ya?

37 Likes

OANN thought they were ‘swing voters’ not ‘swing bolters’.

Simple mistake when your mental facilities have collapsed.

16 Likes

Newsmax and OANN are competing to be the state-sponsored news network when trump returns to office. It’s all gravy from there.

20 Likes
13 Likes

Thank you, Dominion.

19 Likes