DOJ Task Force On Election Worker Threats Makes First Arrest | Talking Points Memo

except when they do - that’s the thing, you can’t tell 'em apart
I’d feel unsafe if my neighbor wrote this about me, and the thought that only 6% act on it wouldn’t be much comfort.

1 Like

I don’t think we would have been in Afghanistan and other regions during the 2000s if we had had a draft. My opinion is draft the 20s for military, and while the war is on, draft the 40s and 50s for any service they’re fit for.

I’m in my 50s.

fine, but no sunscreen

1 Like

That’s quite good.

I see his point. But as someone who has made minimum wage all their working life, I’m damn sure a 20% increase would help me sleep at night and be of actual benefit.

3 Likes

Who get medical care that civilians don’t, and get to go first when boarding planes. My father was in the military, went to college on the GI bill. I think education and health care are enlistees right - I also think they should be available for civilians so as not to create an entitled soldier class.

3 Likes

And how many of those 6400 ballots in Michigan were timely mailed in order to ensure delivery on or before Election Day? We can (and should) make mail-in balloting available to everyone, but we can’t make them drop them in the mail on time.

You may direct your complaint to the State Bar of Texas.

Both of the stories you cite (and it’s the same story in two different outlets) involve blank ballots that were not delivered to the voters who requested them, not filled-out ballots cast by mail. All of those voters were obviously aware that they didn’t receive the requested ballots and had weeks to get the error fixed. And 175 ballots out of 1.28 million absentee ballots requested adds up to an error rate of 0.01%, meaning that you’re about 170 times more likely to have your Wisconsin mail-in ballot rejected for not filling it out correctly than to have it fail to be delivered to you.

To be clear, I’m not denying that some tiny number of mail-in ballots that were mailed on time will end up getting delivered too late to be counted. The only world in which that fact matters is in an election so close that it might equally have been determined by a butterfly flapping its wings in the Amazon.

1 Like

It doesn’t have the ring of the Deplorable, but I think yours is more accurate  : - )

Thanks!

1 Like

Which we will never get with DeJoy in charge. It’s a little odd that we haven’t heard all that much from him in the last year or so.

And here’s an anecdote on mail delivery:

I ordered two things by mail recently - one from Amazon and one from a company called Replacements (has to do with odds of silverware and dishes and stuff).

I ordered a piece from a third party through Amazon on Thursday, which arrived today via USPS.

The pieces I ordered from Replacements were ordered on the 7th; shipped on the 10th via FedEx and have yet to arrive (from NC to Wisconsin).

I paid no shipping on the Amazon order; I paid $ 10 on the Fed Ex order. Dear Hubby (who spent a month working in the distribution facility for Fed Ex) figures they just don’t have employees anymore, which is what is leading to the delay.

It’s why my son in law never uses FedEx, relying solely on the USPS. For all the nonsense we hear about failed and delayed deliveries, they are still the best game in town.

3 Likes

I looked this up. Somebody has studied this. The congregants have never died due to snakebite. Many handlers have died and among the living in these evangelical churches, there are many devout handlers in the pews with missing digits and limbs. I am beginning to think that the guy who died in Maryland collected reptiles as a hobby or business.

1 Like

FedEx is horrendously expensive unless you have some sort of contract with them. I also had issues with delays on an important package with FedEx that needed a signature. They are my last choice since my USPS experiences have been very positive.

1 Like

I’m just amazed it’s been this long. For $10, even though it’s the economy process, I should have the package by now. (12 days since shipment).

Respect yes. However, the fawning with lounges in airports and preference in airline boarding borders on fetishism and jingoism.

1 Like

Staff shortages due to the pandemic are hitting everywhere. A week or so ago, the closest UPS hub to me in a nearby town was out of service, closed up with the doors locked for several working days, because so many employees were out sick with Covid. Drivers especially. People who were expecting UPS deliveries actually went to the site and started banging on the doors, demanding their packages. The manager had to ask for patience. I think it’s back up now.

3 Likes

The more serious problem is that we have a large class of freelance mercenaries and weapons brokers. These folks are no longer bound by any ethical values and make a killing by sowing death and destruction around the world.

3 Likes

I think that it is very important to hold the press accountable for spreading lies and distortions.

A friend of mine said that his father-in-law is part of a volunteer fact-checking group that visits the sites and contacts the people supposedly interviewed by reporters in their stories. His father-in-law lives in a large city in a foreign country with a very vibrant and viciously competitive press. The group meets in the park to review the morning paper early, they identify the pieces that are flaky, and send out teams to investigate the facts on the ground. Their volunteer fact-checking group reports their findings on the internet in the same morning. They have quite the following locally. Works very well for local news stories.

3 Likes

I agree. Some wifebeater who serves his 4 years and gets out gets preference over a person who is a teacher, feeds the homeless, or anyone else.

1 Like

Honestly, I’ve never heard of harm to a congregant either.

Thanks  : - )

2 Likes

And we have people – some fellow TPM subscribers – who seem to think we can defeat this with voter turnout. I’m starting to see headlines “Polls show Dem shellacking in Nov”.

Wow!

1 Like
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available