DOJ Reveals Some Of Trump’s Most Over-The-Top Claims In Mar-a-Lago Case

That’s because, compared to them, mob bosses are principled. And more patriotic, too.

4 Likes

Another day older and deeper in debt and nagged by discobot for replying three times in a row, tha’s what.

11 Likes

Discobot is definitely part of the authoritarian axis.

11 Likes

As of a few years ago, the answer was:

Depending on their skill level, inmate firefighters earn between $2.90 and $5.12 per day, according to Alexandra Powell, a CDCR spokeswoman. When prisoners are assigned to an active emergency, they earn an additional $1 per hour, Powell said.

(Source: Inmates Saved Homes in the Kincade Fire. They’ll Face an Uphill Battle Getting Firefighting Jobs After Release | KQED)

(And that kind of reporting is why I still support my local public radio stations, no matter how many times Steve Inskeep pisses me off in an interview.)

12 Likes

Wow, this must be quite an accomplishment, ‘cancelled’ by Newsmax for being crazy and full of shit…

14 Likes

That’s like getting thrown out of the Animal House for unbecoming behavior.

8 Likes

Thanks for that.

1 Like

Excellent. Thank you.

1 Like

Slow news day.

3 Likes

It would be good if Dearie and everyone else quit playing to this bollox and instead directly attack it as obstruction.

Perhaps Dearie and many others are simply being stupid – as opposed to clever or using wink-wink bureaucratease – in their endless playing along. Stupidity could be what it is.

Amy Coney Barrett was the one who dismissed the suit, without referring it to the full court.

8 Likes
3 Likes

This is really good news, I’d say. It’s hard to think of a more conservative state, legislatively speaking, than Oklahoma.

Still: Polls feel like they’re all over the place, no? I see one that says voter enthusiasm is much higher among Dems than among GOPers, and those early-voting totals I’ve seen that are a) much higher than the '18 totals and b) strongly favoring Dems; and then I see the stuff Josh posts on generic ballots that show things trending toward Republicans . . . and I just kind of throw up my hands. I mean, take Georgia: how do we think about The Mood of the Country if, say, Kemp wins the governor’s race and Warnock the Senate race?

I’m not at all a student of this stuff, but of late I’ve been thinking that if there’s a blue wave coming, we might be more likely to see it in state-level races than at the national level. The OK poll is suggestive of that; as for Kansas, 538’s most recent polls are from a month ago, but Kelly leads Schmidt in most of those, if narrowly**. The complicating factor is how polls will reflect (or not) the fact that there are lots of new people registered to vote who, demographically, are traditionally Democratic (yay!) but, because they are new are not going to be defined as “likely voters” and thus get weighted differently in those polls, if they’re even counted at all ( :: withholds cheering :: ).

(Nationally, I’m hopeful that we hang on in the House and maybe even add a couple of seats in the Senate.)

So: It’ll come down to turnout this year.

**Just a quick comment on Schmidt: His big argument is that Kelly and Biden are two peas in a pod and that he’ll stand up for Kansas against Biden. He conveniently forgets, though, that Kelly has had the legislative success that she has while working with a GOP-dominated legislature that has arguably become more conservative since she was elected. I mean, look at this recent ad of hers (below) that makes quite literal her “middle of the road” image (and no accident, either, that that road is in as rural an area of Kansas as you can imagine). Meanwhile, Schmidt has the problem of people’s remembering him from the Brownback administration. He also seems to be struggling with women voters, too, if his new “first 100 days” proposal to remove sales taxes from feminine hygiene products, diapers, and formula is any indication. Anyway. Kansans are conservative, yes–but they also want a government that is competent and that has enough money to do what it’s supposed to do. Right now, we have a huge-for-Kansas budget surplus, thanks to Kelly’s deft management. The best argument Schmidt has is to try to paint Kelly as the radical that she clearly is not.

7 Likes

Have you seen the Schmidt ad in which he claims Kelly voted against ending the grocery sales tax?

He’s a lying asshole, and don’t get me started on his claims of her “defunding” the police, sheesh.

6 Likes

I’m waiting for the toaster to pop him right out of our lives.

I hadn’t seen that, no. I’m assuming he’s referring to the argument, basically among GOPers, over just how to cut the sales tax. Kelly had wanted to eliminate it in one fell swoop; Republicans wanted to cut it, too, but didn’t want to give Kelly something she could campaign on. I forget now just what they proposed initially, but I know she didn’t go along with it, which is why we have this compromise phasing out. That’s not what she wanted, but she did sign the bill, and to my simple caveman mind, signing a bill counts as a Yes vote.

It’s weird, isn’t it, to see someone basing his campaign on a combination of some FOX News-tested catch-phrases and hopes that the electorate is ignorant and/or forgetful. But those really are the best strategies Schmidt has available to him against Kelly. He just forgets that, though they may not always pay attention in ways that we might prefer them to, Kansas voters DO pay attention.

ETA: We have seen the ads in which Schmidt promises to make sure public education is fully funded and also reminds us of the evils of school closings and mask requirements during the first year of the pandemic–as if doing what we could to try and halt the spread of a virus was a Bad Thing. Anyway, those ads are enraging in several different ways.

4 Likes

I’ve watched Pilar Pedraza on KAKE TV take down Schmidt’s claims and she does it very well. (It may have been on PBS) I really enjoy her objectivity.

2 Likes

Was I the only one to have first read your reply as sardonic wit, thinking that you were conveying, in the humble expression, an intellectual limit in fathoming the theoretical outlandishness of ACB going legit, on even one normative ruling.

And there was much rejoicing

10 Likes
8 Likes