DOJ Investigating Texas’ Operation Lone Star

This story first appeared at ProPublica. ProPublica is a Pulitzer Prize-winning investigative newsroom. Sign up for The Big Story newsletter to receive stories like this one in your inbox.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1422926
1 Like

Firrrrrrrrrst!

12 Likes

I have a real question of how you can violate the civil liberties of illegal aliens who are engaged in criminal conduct by breaking US immigration laws. Arresting criminals, especially illegal aliens should be a top priority for all levels of law enforcement, not just Federal police agencies.

We, The United States, are bound by international treaties that detail the treatment of those who seek to enter the country. These laws are equal to domestic law. Treaties as part of international law do not permit abuse.

19 Likes

I am unsure if political animus influenced the timing of this investigation. Nonetheless, it’s well-played.

5 Likes

And the people who hire them at shit wages.

14 Likes

“$3 billion to border measures over the next two years . . .”

I believe border protection is the responsibility and authority of the federal government, not the Greg Abbott Border Protection Force.

12 Likes

This investigation is long overdue. Abbott has sent DPS cars and troopers to the border in order to show off, costing the troopers valuable rest time at home and non-border Texans a diminished presence of law enforcement officers I attended a meeting about 9 months ago where the speaker was an NCO in the Texas National Guard. He was looking for ex-military and ex-law enforcement people who would join the TNG. If they agreed to serve at the border (um, in order to “help out” the Border Patrol) the enlistees could make up to $90,000 per year. I suspect that some of the bad behavior and suicides are the result of the TNG not delivering on their promises. With the stress placed on the Texas/Mexico border by migrants from literally all over the world, it’s really hard to believe that a governor like Abbott would not be willing to work with the federal government–just for the well-being of Texans if for no other reason.

11 Likes

It’s not criminal. It’s a civil infraction.
If all undocumented workers left the US tomorrow the economy would shrink by 10%
…and Biden would be blamed.

13 Likes

Also, according to Abbott’s office, Texas is a sovereign nation.

10 Likes

…if only…

4 Likes

If it were, how fast would their political experiment fail? The state’s share of the national debt would place Texas in receivership.

5 Likes

Yes unfortunately we’re all 50 stuck with each other.

5 Likes

MeeeeOW!

4 Likes

The disgusting part is that now Abbott will fundraise off being investigated.

What else does Texas have to spend the money on, education, health care, roads?

5 Likes

If it’s Texas, it’s corrupt, political and opaque.

3 Likes

I have a real question of how you can post such asinine codswallop with such mind-numbing regularity.

Being in the US illegally is a civil infraction—not a criminal act.

Treaties covering the treatment of immigrants–legal or illegal—are the Supreme Law of the Land, according to the US Constitution.

I doubt that you could receive a passing mark in any 5th-grade civics class.

17 Likes

Power Grid?

1 Like

5 Likes