DOJ IG Details How Close Trump Came To Invoking Insurrection Act in 2020

Originally published at: DOJ IG Details How Close Trump Came To Invoking Insurrection Act in 2020 - TPM – Talking Points Memo

In June 2020, as demonstrations around the killing of George Floyd reached their peak, Trump administration officials did extensive work laying the groundwork for the President to invoke the Insurrection Act in order to quell the protests, an Inspector General report released on Wednesday found. The Justice Department’s Inspector General detailed how close Donald Trump…

1 Like

Has this guy been stuck on a desert island since BLM riots? Perhaps the criminal ex president was rape-testing the capabilities of the law, and how loyal his appointees were. He does a lot of that too.

20 Likes

Hauling this out once again because it works EVERY DAMNED TIME!!
FM5PaBQUUAEACQT-2874409199

37 Likes

I’m sure Project 25 lays out when to invoke the Insurrection Act: whenever “the left” makes us do it.

29 Likes

Ah, yes, the infamous “Bible Walk.” Shameful Days after the Shameful Murder of George Floyd. Bill Barr should be subpoened, indicted and charged with Insurrection for that day. It’s not too late.

25 Likes

Safe to say they reacted weirdly to peaceful protests.

36 Likes

Barr? TCF? Porque no los dos!

2 Likes

Bill Barr is weird.

13 Likes

Senior officials walk away from meetings claiming not to have understood what was decided; subordinates carry out orders that they never seem to have been given. Barr intervenes in granular decisions, while mid-level staffers appear confused by what course the Department is meant to be taking.

Seems like things were working “as intended.” Barr, at least, did seem to understand the benefit of the “who will rid me of this troublesome priest?” approach to jurisprudence.

23 Likes

“They just want no Trump, no matter what, and they’re willing to gaslight themselves — and by the way, I think Hillary could win.”

They’re really starting to throw his putrid orange carcass under the bus.

25 Likes

Barr declined to speak to the Inspector General

A government unwilling to compel answers is incapable of standing. It is 100% surrender.

Quite the trick that modern officials are allowed to refuse to answer questions. I guess nothing matters more than their privileges.

Judges destroyed this country. Judges without the balls to make Very Important People uncomfortable. Fucking cowards, every single one.

I look forward to the coming days when the GOP junta starts imprisoning and executing judges. They paved the way for it.

18 Likes

The only use Trump has for our military is to beat up or kill us.
Putin may march in with no resistance.

11 Likes

The “loophole” here is that Barr is no longer a government employee and thus cannot legally be so compelled. It saves honest people from being dragged in front of a kangaroo court for something years after they stopped serving in a role, but it also allows slime-balls like Barr to weasel out of something by insisting they aren’t subject to the IG’s jurisdiction anymore once they finish their term (or if they resign before the interview date).

16 Likes

Only the best people.

8 Likes

Living just over the border in Maryland all I can say is “wow!” Had no idea the home rule act would have allowed him to take control of the MPD. Just another reminder of what we face if things go badly between November 5th and January 20th.

20 Likes

To all for which it applies…

2 Likes

How do we start a “Replace Trump with Rubio” grassroots movement? Ordinarily I’d be worried that it might happen and ruin our chance to mop the floor with Trump, but he’s taken over the RNC and nothing could displace him. It would be wonderful if the GOP had to spend half their time on internecine conflict.

10 Likes

I completely understand your bitterness. I really, really do. But let me tell you… the judges they start hanging or jailing are not going to be the ones you think deserve it. In order to hurt the right ones, you’re going to need to support me for Supreme Dictator For Life, (Or, if you feel you can’t do that, go with the sub-optimal choice of @castor_troy.)

The GOP junta isn’t going to have a silver lining for anyone.

21 Likes

Classic moronic executive management. Making decisions at a granular level with absolutely no operational understanding, ability, or execution skills. Barr may be a smart lawyer or politician, but he’s an executive fool. And a coward. Hiding.

33 Likes

The one potential silver lining is the high probability they turn to backstabbing before they can hang too many liberals.

4 Likes