DOJ Drops Its Lawsuit Over John Bolton’s Trump Tell-All | Talking Points Memo

The Justice Department indicated Wednesday that it was dropping its civil lawsuit against John Bolton for allegedly publishing his memoir without properly scrubbing it of classified materials. The dismissal was indicated in a barebones filing submitted jointly by the department’s and Bolton’s lawyers.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1378018

Wait…no…no!!!

they determined it would be “improper to allow a meritless case to proceed simply to embarrass the Trump administration and the officials recommended the department drop it,” the Times said.

4 Likes

Curious phrasing but perhaps it tacitly acknowledges that the Trump administration is incapable of shame and, eo ipso, embarrassment so what’s the point.

4 Likes

I had the same reaction, but honestly, there was probably no bombshell; just catty, unprofessional bullshit.

4 Likes

Doesn’t matter. The meritless lawsuit has done its job, which was to knock bolton’s book sales down from 7 figure dollars to 6 figures.

4 Likes

‘They’re just giving up’. It is hard to give up on something that ethically and morally wrong and done by Trumpy in the first place.

2 Likes

I am conflicted. Is it wrong to have rooted against both sides— to hope that they both fail, utterly and embarrassingly so?

8 Likes

No, that’s bipartisanship and you’re to be commended for embracing it.

8 Likes

That was never the DOJ’s lawsuit.

That was Trump’s lawsuit.

3 Likes

So hard to keep up with the fashions of the day, but as I see it:

Out: Lawsuit against Bolton

In: Lawsuit against Trump

Man, will he ever have a cow if DoJ announces something against him soon.

1 Like

Oh goody…now we can be presented with more plausible insider information verifying how bat guano crazy and craven the Don and his pet flying monkeys really were…not that it wasn’t already painfully obvious.

2 Likes

I hope this doesn’t hurt sales.

I’m happy to report that I had completely forgotten about John “I won’t testify because I have a book coming out” Bolton’s book until I read this headline.

3 Likes

DOJ really has a colossal mess to clean up … and it seems like each individual mess requires a top-to-bottom / bottom-to-top examination by the legal demolition experts to triple verify that by tossing a case, that some stupid legal trap door is not created. I’m sure Garland has a team that looks to make sure that every time they try to defuse one of these bombs, that there aren’t potential connections to some dangerous legal bomb detonator in the future. Trump ain’t that clever … but there were some insidious Hanibal Lecter level legal assholes around him who would delight in leaving legal landmines behind.

“FUCK John Bolton” - literally everybody

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available