Does The Jan. 6 Committee Have What It Takes To Investigate The Big Lie? | Talking Points Memo

Hell, I’m a hillbilly too. I’m just not a redneck. :slightly_smiling_face:

7 Likes

9 Likes

If only. By my clock, some of these comments about how the committee had already failed were posted before it even met. C’mon people…

3 Likes

If someone collected all the whining by Trump it would come in a multi-volume set.
And this is Trump, he flooded the zone with the ranting, the whining, and all of it was to plant little seeds of doubt in people’s minds.
Trump & Co could have had a little weight to their claims if they had published the campaign’s polling results that were conducted various times before the election of 2016 and 2020.

1 Like

On Saturday, he [repeated his line] nearly word-for-word: “There is no way they win elections without cheating.”
Since he cheats at everything, wives, businesses, golf, he thinks everyone else does to.

6 Likes

How much time do you want to spend on this? Or more specifically how much time do you want Congress to spend on this?
If the Republicans had voted for the outside of Congress committee, like the 9-11 Committee, then what you’re asking for could have been done.

Since these are sitting members of Congress I think I’d be happy with the uncovering of why the chain of command didn’t respond to the insurrectionists. At the very least why didn’t acting Defense Secretary Chris Miller not have the TV set on in his office.

Really haven’t seen videos of 1/6 until today. Hard for me to believe that when this commission is over any American can say that it was anything other than a deadly siege started by the Former President. Trump won’t make it to the midterms.

1 Like

I really do not understand why trump hasn’t been confronted by an indictment, arrest or been jailed for his attempts to subvert the election.
I do not understand.
In my understanding committing war (and that’s what the 1/6/21 riot was as it took place in the Capitol and was an attempt to stop certification of the election by violence) upon the United States is treason. Why hasn’t he been arrested? At the least he should’ve been charged with sedition. If I had done what he did on the Ellipse with that speech egging the crowd to attack the Capitol I would surely be in jail right now.
Why is trump beyond the law?
Article 3, section 3…
“Treason against the United States shall consist only in levying war against them, or adhering to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort.”
Does the famous “Immunity Memo” from the DoJ protect a president from treason???

2 Likes

This title and picture are so obviously, and egregiously, click-bait.

I thought TPM was above this kind of thing.

1 Like

January 6th Attack on the United States Capitol risks being limited by too literal an interpretation of its name.

Because a sniveling defeat monkey headline wails?

Nope
facepalm

2 Likes

From Marcy Wheeler

The difference between the threats that Trump made against Mike Pence after Pence refused an unconstitutional request from him and the threats of execution that were included in Alan Hostetter’s posts in advance of the riot is that virtually all the people who occupied the Capitol on January 6 were aware of Trump’s threats and some took action to implement them.

The disorganized militia conspiracy (which will presumably be rolled out any day now) is significant because at least one of the men who will likely be charged in it, Nate DeGrave, said he was responding entirely to Trump’s exhortations. DOJ likely has video evidence of the effect that Trump’s attacks on Mike Pence had on those men as they walked from his speech to the Capitol. Those men fought with cops to open up a second front of the siege on the Capitol and then they fought with cops to get into the space where, Josiah Colt hoped and believed, Senators were still conducting the vote count. These men are charged with trying to intimidate government personnel like Mike Pence, something that Trump also did.

We already have evidence Trump shared the same goal as every person charged with conspiracy and evidence that Trump committed some of the very same overt acts as those charge. We even have evidence tying Trump’s own actions with physical violence committed with the goal of reaching Mike Pence to intimidate him.

We don’t, yet, have evidence that Trump agreed with any of the co-conspirators already charged. But we are within two degrees of having that, working through either Rudy Giuliani or Roger Stone, which would make Trump a co-conspirator with all the others.

I’m not saying DOJ will get that evidence. As I’ve said, a goodly number of people are going to have to agree to cooperate before DOJ will get there, though we have abundant reason to believe such agreements were made.

3 Likes

I really don’t know how to describe the contempt I have for these ‘people’.

5 Likes

The Radical Right is destroying families and friendships. It’s been going on for a while and getting worse.

6 Likes

It’s just so bizarre that Trump and Republicans generally think that they have the right to rule no matter what the voters say. The 2016 and 2020 elections were close only because of the Electoral College. Unlike every other election, Presidential contests don’t always go to the candidate with the most votes. Change 40,000 votes in a few states, and Joe Biden could have lost despite having 7 million more votes than Trump.

3 Likes

In answer to the eponymous question of the thread

“After this morning, it appears they very well night.”

Box set. $29.99 +S&H (add $359.99). Visa or Mastercard accepted.

1 Like

Let’s game that:

Trump…forced to live–without break–with a family selected from one of his rallies…for six months.

Some Service Brats may be lurking around…The US Military had postings all over the Eastern Hemisphere. We have seen American kids in Italy, Libya, etc. US Military personel have been stationed in France…When I was in Germany, I knew kids whose parents were posted there.

I doubt that Trump could have made it living on the economy (what was used for not living on post due to no post or no vacancy).

It’s bad for those in stigmatized groups and it’s bad for those in favored groups.

Without being very watchful, it can nudge people into acting differently…sycophancy…arrogance…and many permutations of both

2 Likes

lol, whatever made you think that? what the hell does the domestic CAPITAL TERRORISM have to do with the acts of foriegners 20+ years ago…TPM goes for the really easy, dumb stuff.

apologies, late to the show, what is all the foreign static in here?

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available