Does The Jan. 6 Committee Have What It Takes To Investigate The Big Lie? | Talking Points Memo

In English law, conspiracy was about as bad as it gets: like cancer it could spread and spread. American media treats large conspiracy as somehow attenuated, like somehow each participant is less and less liable individually as the conspiracy grows. That’s not how conspiracy works.

7 Likes

Does The Jan. 6 Committee Have What It Takes To Investigate The Big Lie?

If they subpoena the Big Liar- yes, otherwise- no,

3 Likes

How can the 1/6 Select Committee best assure establishing a procedural trail that will stand up under appeal when it is appealed. Is impeachment attorney Letter involved? What procedural preparation have they mapped to apply favorable law against every flurry of paper from the witness’s lawyers resisting subpoena. How do you get the most focused, yet most scalable committee rules, powers, and enforcement?

1 Like

I would have to disagree on the 60’s and early 70’s as income and wealth disparity fell, social mobility improved, we went to the moon and Johnson could speak at least of a Great Society. Post-Reagan it’s been a pretty steady slog to gini purgatory. Indeed, Clinton, for whatever reason, signed the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act, which repealed the Glass-Steagall Act, laying the groundwork for the Great Recession.

6 Likes

I have a strong feeling that the Capitol police officers - especially Fanone - testifying today are going to finger Trump as the main cause of the insurrection, and I cannot wait for Fat Ass and his enablers in Congress (especially those fucking asshole traitors Greene, Gaetz, Gosar, and Gohmert, who are holding a rally today IN SUPPORT OF the insurrectionists, trying to inspire sympathy for their alleged mistreatment while being imprisoned for trying to destroy the democratic norms of this country) and their RW media cheerleaders insulting these cops by calling them liars and “puppets of Pelosi and the left” and whatever else they can pull out of their unwiped asses. That’s gonna go over really well

10 Likes

@zlohcuc “More violence.? This time the violence can be directed toward those that are formenting it…with fury, vigor and consequences not blunted by traitors.”

A two-edged sword. We want rule of law and reduced extra-judicial punishment or violence. Don’t want to give RW personalities any ideas for expanded “executive powers.” The other part of me wants to fire any official that doesn’t have an effective plan to control any paramilitary assault upon the seat of our democracy.

2 Likes

JFC I get sick of this bullshit. “What are the odds, if left in office, that he will continue trying to cheat? I will tell you: 100 percent. Not 5, not 10, or even 50, but 100 percent.” Pocket knife? That’s a Democrat, actually, sounding the alarm. They tried to remove him from office twice. There is no more potent weapon provided by the Constitution. Blocked by the corrupt Republicans each time.

30 Likes

Exactly. The biggest fraud yet is the acceptance of the notion that Mango Mussolini didn’t commit fraud himself in 2016.

8 Likes

Wasn’t the first hearing supposed to gavel in at 9 AM? I assumed TPM would already have a live blog up and running, but I don’t see it anywhere.

ETA: OK, better late than never https://talkingpointsmemo.com/live-blog/house-special-committee-holds-first-jan-6-hearing

1 Like

OMG, Focus, people, focus! For weeks, all the RWNJ did was “whataboutism,” related to BLM protests, and treatment of the poor, poor, loving patriots who just wanted to see where democracy works on Jan. 6. And, now the media (including here at TPM) is trending the same way.

Who are the witnesses? What has been subpoenaed? Are Cheney and Kinzinger on track with messaging and the Dems on this process? I want to hear a fine symphony here, not a circus calliope.

4 Likes

The GOP will do it again whether its Trump or not.

5 Likes

If a GOP politician isn’t voting his conscience to investigate 1/6, is th a t same GOP politician voting his conscience when that Rep supports a candidate that actually conspired with antagonistic and hostile foreign dictatorships?

1 Like

Rep. Markwayne Mullin (R-OK)

.@RepMullin on police officer who fatally shot woman in Capitol on January 6th: "After it happened, he came over. He was physically and emotionally distraught. I actually gave him a hug and I said, 'sir, you did what you had to do.'" pic.twitter.com/qSwZgilMS7

— CSPAN (@cspan) July 23, 2021
15 Likes

And as most of us have said for years, they need to be relegated to rump-party status, holding sway only in a relatively poor and uneducated region that can lie in the bed it’s made with everyone’s blessing.

12 Likes

Indeed, Clinton, for whatever reason, signed the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act, which repealed the Glass-Steagall Act, laying the groundwork for the Great Recession.

He had no choice but to sign it as it was veto-proof. A Republican bill supported by both parties. Sounds radical. They all had their hands out and we all got screwed.

5 Likes

Have what it takes?

• investigation tools ?
  • ability to compell witnesses to appear & to feel that they need to be truthful … will witnesses be able to refuse to answer questions?
  • will the committee have true “killer” instinct ? - if given the opportunity to graphically expose & fatally destroy a few key GOP figures - will they? Or will they (in some perverse sort of “professional courtesy” ) opt to allow the offender to “resign for personal family reasons” … or some “heal the wounds” move.

“Have what it takes?” … hope so - in all ways.

3 Likes

I rarely go with a war analogy, but here it is fitting because the GQP is assuredly battling the democratic underpinnings to our country in every conceivable way except for literally seceding from the union to set up whatever autocracy they fantasize in their minds.

While there are no reasons to imagine the GQP have powers beyond normal, and may even have much less, it is also makes the headline a reasonable question because so much is at stake.

2 Likes

Nancy Pelosi - Dundee:

3 Likes

We have the tools and the people. I would have liked to add more, but very good points already made have taken care of that.

Let’s lose the negativism.

10 Likes

Common knowledge.

1 Like
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available