Discussion:

Discussion for article #242508

No, no, no. I don’t care what the vote was, a local official does not have the power to prohibit enforcement of laws passed by superior levels of government.

20 Likes

This is sound. Next month they will vote on secession from Obama’s United Sates of America.

5 Likes

“coordinator Tom McKirgan”

Nutjob. He is the posterboy for the type of person who gets a speeding ticket on a federal highway and goes so nutty over it that he then writes a book about how to fight speeding tickets.

6 Likes

I’m guessing that “Sheriff” is an elected position.
god bless the 2nd amendment.

1 Like

2nd Amendment: “A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the
security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms,
shall not be infringed.”

What part of well regulated don’t you understand? If you want to carry a gun in the service of a well regulated Militia, join the Military. It’s right there, in easy to read words.

13 Likes

“I’m not sure the courts would agree with that concept,” he said, as quoted by The Oregonian. “I would just bet there would be some legal challenges to it.”

Gee, ya think?

11 Likes

I’m sorry but no ammosexual has eveh quoted the first half of the amendment. That would require integrity.

9 Likes

Voters in Coos County, Oregon on Tuesday passed a measure that empowers the sheriff to prohibit local enforcement of state and federal gun laws he deems unconstitutional.

Shorter: Oregon voters declare cops to be lawyers.

6 Likes

“Voters in Coos County, Oregon on Tuesday passed a measure that empowers the sheriff to prohibit local enforcement of state and federal gun laws he deems unconstitutional.”
OK dumbfucks, listen up: Local Sheriffs do NOT have the power to review ANYTHING passed by any higher authority. Not County, not State, and especially NOT FEDERAL.
ONLY the Supreme Court of the United States of America has the CONSTITUTIONAL AUTHORITY to determine the “Constitutionality” of ANY LAW, ORDINANCE, or RULE ANYWHERE in the United States.
If you don’t like that, answer me this: Why do you Hate the US Constitution?
Why do you feel the 2nd Amendment is SACROSANCT but Article III Section 1 and 2 are not?
This isn’t the BIBLE where you can pick and choose what passages you LIKE and what ones you DON’T and base your bigotries on that. It’s LAW.

6 Likes

Judges.

3 Likes

Sorry, but i have to recommend that the Democrats DO NOT MAKE GUN CONTROL an election issue of major proportions. There are way too many people, even in a pretty blue state like Oregon who fail to comprehend the Constitution and who will automatically oppose the Democrats who do so. This is just pragmatic advice!

1 Like

Coos County Sheriff Craig Zanni initially supported putting the measure
to the ballot and expressed his belief that the state law expanding
background checks was, as The World newspaper put it, “essentially a
preemptive effort to begin gun registration.”

The argument that gun registration is somehow an infringement on the constitutional right is entirely made up. If gov’t doesn’t know which militia are armed, how will they know whom to call upon for service as described in articles 1-8 and 2-2 of the constitution?

4 Likes

Well, now, if these good folks were Mormon, I’d have to disagree. You see, Mormons believe the U.S. Constitution was divinely inspired–much like “The Holy Bible”–therefore, they would get to pick and choose. That said, these Oregonians are not Mormons, to my knowledge. So, there’s that. :grinning:

1 Like

The text of the Coos County ordinance declares “any regulation of the right to keep and bear arms” to be void and tasks the sheriff with determining which local, state and federal regulations violate the Constitution.

Uh…no. That’s not how it works. For a group of people who claim to value the Constitution over everything else, they sure haven’t the slightest idea of how it works.

He also said he was concerned about the “wording” of the proposal, which would give him the authority to determine whether state and federal gun laws were unconstitutional.

“I’m not sure the courts would agree with that concept,” he said, as quoted by The Oregonian.

Well, sir, you may not be sure, but I am and they won’t. Wow, there’s a lot of stupid in Coos County.

4 Likes

Secede and see where that leads you.

2 Likes

Military is THE GOVERNment. WHO WAnts TO TAke OUR gunZ. AMerICAN’s NEED THEir GUNZ to PRoteCT Themselves Against the GOVERNMEnt WHO WantS to GIVe GUNz TO fEMA BECAuse JADE HELM and DEMOcrats11!!!one!1!1!!!

7 Likes

Except that better gun control regulations are actually supported by a large majority of the populace and just so happens to be a hot-button topic right now. Don’t let a vocal minority make you think improved gun regulations is bad politics.

2 Likes

What other things should democrats ignore just because some people refuse to understand the consequences of their ignorance? There are now over 30,000 victims of gun violence annually, and more than 1 mass shooting per day.

1 Like

But Zanni seemed to cool to the ordinance in an interview with The Oregonian
last month. He told the newspaper that he didn’t expect to do his job
any differently if the measure passed. He also said he was concerned
about the “wording” of the proposal, which would give him the authority
to determine whether state and federal gun laws were unconstitutional.

“I’m not sure the courts would agree with that concept,” he said, as
quoted by The Oregonian. “I would just bet there would be some legal
challenges to it.”

Credit where credit is due, I suppose. That shows a bit more awareness than we usually see.