Discussion: Years Ago, the Border Patrol’s Discipline System Was Denounced as “Broken.” It’s Still Not Fixed

Why the delectable suet based pudding loaded with dried fruit, of course.

1 Like

Damn good illustration of the rally crowds.

1 Like

This is a problem that goes back millennia.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
– Juvenal, Satire VI

1 Like

"This week, the office issued a withering 69-page audit on disciplinary practices across the Department of Homeland Security, including CBP. According to the report, the department “does not have sufficient policies and procedures to address employee misconduct.”

3 Likes

Now you’ve given them a new slogan. I expect to see the Tee-shirts any day now.

2 Likes

Well, the whole point of the Reagan Multiplication of National Deficits (after laughably campaigning on The Balanced Budget Amendment to the Constitution and the Line Item Veto for King Ronald Wilson to delete wasteful expenses) was to starve future safety net social spending. So 10X this for the Trump Deficit Exploding Tax Giveaway Armed Robbery for the 1%, so they can all continue to go pay for “massages” in their latter years rather than pay their fair share of taxes to the country that allowed them to become Caligula rich and extravagant.

1 Like

That’s why this really surprised me:

Five St. Paul police officers who stood by as an ex-cop assaulted a civilian last year were fired Thursday in what Chief Todd Axtell called an “ugly day in our department’s history.”

Who knows, the union may get them reinstated. But it definitely sends a welcome message.

5 Likes

"Axtell said Thursday’s firings rocked him personally and professionally “because I care so much about this great city.”

The police chief sounds like many who are in his position around the country “SURPRISED”…Sounds to me like they don’t know whats going on in the rank and file.

1 Like

@jacksonhts: My brother spent his professional life as a police officer, first with our State DPS, then a municipal force. When he started, he says, we were your friend, there to serve and to protect. It’s changed. Now, the public is the enemy. And the force is there to intimidate and to dominate.Part of it has to do with scofflaws at both economic ends of the public spectrum. Part of it has to do with the weaponry available to everyone. DPS estimates that 75% of the vehicles in the State carry a loaded firearm. Part of it has to do with militarization out of which comes battleground behavior of protecting oneself and the members of one’s unit. The trajectory runs from what is now a security state to a police state.

1 Like

God these selfish, innumerate bastards make me sick.

For the record, the U.S. population is something on the order of 327 million people. If we added another 11 million to the existing health care system (as if they weren’t already receiving at least some care), that’s about 3.5 percent additional workload.

So, if a doctor is seeing about 100 patients a week (20 a day) then it’s an additional 3 patients a week - one every two days or so. And if I’m being too optimistic and that doctor is currently seeing only 50 patients a week? Then it would be only one and a half extra visits per week.

Yeah, killer swamping of the system! So instead we’ll just let 'em all die, and their Christianist god can sort 'em out.

Heartless Idiots…

If the average idiot in So Dakota who bitches endlessly about the illegals coming across the border had any idea of just how corrupt the CBP is they’d probably be pleased. I’m down here is San Diego Co and I agree that the corruption and racist violence against all persons who may just look Hispanic is not widely understood.

2 Likes

And now Donnie announces that the raids planned for tomorrow will be delayed for two weeks. Because…?

You want people to be afraid for longer? Somebody told you there’s no room for thousands more families in custody and you realized you’re getting bad press for the conditions in the camps already? Or the plan just wasn’t cruel enough yet?

Noted that tRUmp has backed off doing his raids this weekend. Guess some “businessman” got to him and told him his chicken nuggets will not be available if they pick up the workers at Tyson or Purdue.

There was a PBS Special, years and years go, before my wife and I moved from Greenwich Village to here.

It was about different police departments around the country. The last segment was about a chief of Police, I think it was in St Paul, MN, but it could have been elsewhere in MN. He had a Greek last name, I want to say it was Bozas, or something like that. I thought it was Greek, but maybe not.

He was hired to be Police Chief there from the NYPD and he was a reformer type. The segment on him, showed him attending meetings with the Membership of the MN PD where PBA people who obviously hated his guts were asking him quite insolently about rumors they had heard that he was resigning and if there was any truth to the rumors.

As he drove to his next appointment with the documentarian, he said that the PBA types who were anti reform were habitually “truculent.”

His wife was very liberal and was active in the community. And at the end of the segment and the documentary, the PD Chief, Bozas, (I think) was doing a reading at a local public School fund raiser. He read, as a poem, the lyrics to Purple Rain. Anyway, maybe he and the people who believed like him had some minimal impact 30 years later. But basically, these cops aided and abetted a crime. They probably covered up and obstructed justice for the guilty cop as well. So, firing is a step. But just a step.

1 Like

I didn’t read it until after the Al Pacino starring movie. I was in HS.

But before even imagining I would ever live in NYC, let alone live out my life here, I read Peter Maas’ Serpico.

I later read in college other literature about the Knapp Commission, and had to do a lot of legal research defending a State Prosecutor’s office, an office implemented as a result of the Knapp Commission, in a civil rights law suit brought by the PBA’s lawfirm, after some corrupt cops who were lucky they got released after being held for quesitoning for 12 hours but not charged, decided to push their luck with a Civil Rights Law suit.

I think if you and your brother have not read Serpico, it might make for somewhat quaintly dated but still relevant and rewarding read.

I have a close friend, very liberal, whose son, my son’s exact age, became an NYPD detective. He probably hates DiBlasio like they all do. At a recent social gathering the son explained the NYPD-PBA version of history to me that Serpico was the most voracious meat eater (Knapp Commission-distinguished between grass eater corrupt cops and meat eater corrupt cops) and made all that shit up about the other cops after getting caught.

For me one of the fascinating things, a side aspect of the HBO Series The Deuce, is that it takes place probably in the some what recent (recent being a relative term) aftermath of the Knapp Commission. And features an honest cop (played by The Wire and Walking Dead star Lawrence Gilliard, Jr.) stuck between a rock and a hard place by the corruption of his colleagues and the hypocritical reformist agenda of his immediate boss. Who will probably just be out to cover the Dept’s ass once that plot line plays out.

My brother found a body at our family’s desert house one hot August day.

I don’t know whether deplorables like the guy in that video mess with the blue barrels along S2 or not. I hope not.

2 Likes

This is a great and insightful post about law enforcement in the US. You’re saying things I’ve intuited, but not articulated. A disproportionate number of goons and thugs are now cops and deputies.
The leadership of these entities are from the ranks so they just maintain the culture.

I don’t know where, if ever, it will end.

1 Like

Shorter Article : “CBP and ICE are two inhumane agencies ran by ghouls and racist thugs, and maybe a few normal people if you look really hard. They have been shitty and inhumane to people since they were created, and regardless of who was or is the President, they will continue to be shitty and inhumane to people.”

1 Like

Yeah, build a wall. That’ll fix everything. snort

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available