Discussion: Year-Old Boy Who Became Poster Child For Separations To Reunite With Parents

And this is why “zero tolerance” was never going to be a deterrent.

2 Likes

Nothing short of cruel and inhumane.

6 Likes

The harm to the Separation Children may have only just begun…

1 Like

I’m sure no one in Session’s sphere would care, but you’d think someone over at HHS would care about the science.

1 Like

Thank goodness for sovereign immunity. Otherwise we might have to compensate people for torturing them like this.

3 Likes

This is why purges of politically unreliable employees are so vital to the trump administration.

3 Likes

Immigration is the mountain in Wagon Wheel Gap.

There is a road they carved out the flanks of a mountain in the San Juans. It’s the gateway to the interior of the San Juans, called Wagon Wheel Gap. I travelled through the Gap yearly for most of my life. The mountain the road runs along has been coming down on that road my whole life. First they put up wooden fencing, like drift fences. Rocks rained down. Then they put up wire fencing. Rocks overloaded it and came down over the top. Then they put up steel reinforcing. Rocks came down. Then they poured a concrete barrier.

Rocks are still coming down. The mountain is going to do what it’s going to do and they can try to stop it but they never will be able to.

That’s the same thing as immigration. Humans migrate. We’ve been doing it since we climbed down out of the trees and started walking on 2 legs. They can’t stop it.

7 Likes

“A criminal is someone who kills, robs, does things to harm people,” Rolando said later. “I just want to work and give my children opportunities.”

Rolando is a better man, and a better father, than Donald “folks, they’re not sending their best” Trump could ever dream of being. But what a revolting story.

7 Likes

Beautifully stated, tena. The analogy is perfect.

2 Likes

From the referenced AP story : “Richardson repeatedly told the Immigration and Customs Enforcement attorney who was acting as the prosecutor that he should make note of the cases involving young children because of the government’s obligation to meet the reunification deadline. The attorney said he wasn’t familiar with that deadline and that a different department within ICE handled such matters.”

2 Likes

You read a story like that and think it’s just some kind of mistake, a snafu that the bureaucracy caused somehow. Someone filled out the wrong form, or missed a checkbox, and caused a stupid situation to occur. Mistakes like that happen, and can cause huge issues for the victim of the mistake.

When you read something like this that was caused on purpose, that the government agents that we pay taxes for did this without a second thought, that the political leadership concocted this, and that they all apparently have no problem treating a family this way, it fills you with a lot of rage.

5 Likes

Thanks.

So if someone comes to the border and says they weren’t familiar with the new zero-tolerance rules because another migrant was responsible for that issue, the ICE agents will just say “no big” and wave them on…

1 Like

The Orange Monster and Company committed unspeakably cruel acts by separating children from their parents. It is too bad I am an atheist, but I would like them to burn in hell forever.

A little harsh perhaps? We have no idea of the extent of the damage caused by Orange Julius to these families!

1 Like

Well you’d think the “Christians” among us would understand the wandering in the desert for 40 years…you’d think they’d understand how Christianity got from Roman Judea to Rome… you’d think that they’s understand how all those S. and C. American countries got populated and Christianized… and FFS how we got to what’s now call the United States. And for doubly FFS Westward Expansion.

2 Likes

Well the christians in America have abandoned history, science, truth and the gospels.

According to them, Jesus would never try to enter a country illegally.

4 Likes

The asymmetrical treatment by the courts really galls me.

Sign a document you can’t read in a language you can’t speak with no translator while the full coercive power of the state literally stands over you and says this is the only way to see your kids again? Too bad , so sad , no asylum claim for you.

Represent an agency with thousands of employees and a multi million dollar budget, and fail to follow a court order? Get mulligan after mulligan after mulligan after stern talking too after mulligan.

1 Like

Once you’ve decided that a 3-year-old can understand immigration law well enough to participate in their own asylum case without help, you’ve pretty much sold your soul to the devil. Every one of those kids should have (at a minimum) a fully funded guardian ad litem in addition to an attorney.

2 Likes