Discussion: Worlds Of Trump, Saudis, AMI Overlap In Release Of Pro-Saudi Tabloid In Rural U.S

1 Like

So, “white nationalists,” how’s that Anglo-Saxoney White Europeaney culture preservin’ey thing working out for ya?

19 Likes

One thing’s for damn sure - at $14 a pop, they’re not going to get much market penetration at the Piggly Wiggly checkouts. Someone was sold a bill of goods.

10 Likes

Nope. The Saudis wanted to give AMI a big bag of money and this was how they did it. Part of it went for a publication nobody ever meant to be read. The rest, maybe someday we’ll know.

10 Likes

Very weird–priced so nobody would buy only in rural areas and containing photos that aren’t from the country, the exact opposite from what you would do to actually get people interested in the country. I wonder what other publications are lurking out there in rural America that we haven’t heard about.

7 Likes

This is a pathetically obvious and shameless attempt to curry financial favor with the current Saudi regime.

That it’s being offered for sale in parts of the U.S. with no interest in Saudi Arabia and uses photos that have nothing to do with Saudi Arabia is the Trumpian Republican cherry of incompetence on top.

12 Likes

Does anybody know how much it costs to publish and distribute 200,000 copies of a pulp marketing magazine? It isn’t cheap. Unless it is bankrolled by somebody and distributed to a target audience no public company would engage in such vanity. The shareholders wouldn’t like it. Somebody bought this press run and decided how to market it. Looking around the only possible candidate behind the publication is the Saudi Prince. I think the reporter really needs to do some more reporting. The AMI and Saudi denials of Saudi participation just don’t hunt.

8 Likes

I wonder what other publications are lurking out there in rural America that we haven’t heard about.

“NAMBLA: A Neighborhood Friend for Stronger Communities”
“Meth: Your Key to Dental Health”
“Tofu: Nebraska’s Favorite Snack”

4 Likes

“I think the reporter really needs to do some more reporting. The AMI and Saudi denials of Saudi participation just don’t hunt.”

Apparently, the AP thinks the case is closed: “There is no evidence any such direction, in this case, occurred.” Really? Not, “As yet no evidence has been found” or “The circumstances surrounding the publication of the tabloid have not been thoroughly investigated.” Just a categorical denial that any evidence exists.

2 Likes

Maybe some cleverdick thought that putting them out in various Podunks would avoid scrutiny by the liberal elites (who are well-known for their relentless parsing of the tabloids while waiting for their arugala to be rung up)…

3 Likes

AMI was purchased by its bondholders in 2014, so presumably it has the cash to self-finance the publication. However, I’d guess that the total publication cost would be at least $1 million, which is a big chunk of cash to sink into something with no prospects of actually selling on the newsstands. My initial thought was that this was pushed and paid for by the Saudis, but why would they approve a publication that had photos easily identifiable as not being from Saudi Arabia? And why in God’s name would Saudis care about what people in rural America thought of them? Was it a ham-handed way of currying favor with red state Republicans in D.C.?

2 Likes

“There is no evidence any such direction, in this case, occurred.”

Why is this sentence worded like this? I assume TPM deigns to be a journalistic enterprise. This sentence declares definitively there is no evidence. By inference it doesn't exist, hence coordination or funding or direction didn't occur. "No evidence has yet surfaced" at least allows for the fact we don't know all there is to know about this. And I would posit we don't. So, why has TPM declared there is no evidence, period?
Oh, and for those rushing to protest I'm splitting hairs, semantics matter to a journalist, as does the accuracy of what they report. The better the reporter, the more they matter.
6 Likes

I feel like I need another shower after reading that.

2 Likes

Even in liberal bastions you tend to look for something to distract you while the knuckleheads in front of you fish for pennies and nickels in the bottom of a purse the size of a vacation beach bag. How the hell ANYONE doesn’t realize there’s a fricking debit card attached to the fricking checking account you’re painstakingly writing a check out of, for two bags of goddamned M&Ms, is incomprehensible. There should be a “Cash Only” line, with a separate exit once you’ve paid, leading you out a door that has you falling directly into a deep, bottomless crevasse.

1 Like

Initially to provide cover to AMI for a larger payment but somebody had the idea that Mueller might start poking around if a connection was made? More and better reporting is needed.

3 Likes

It’s an AP article.

5 Likes

I would not be surprised if there is a link (“not yet identified” does not equal “There is no evidence”) between this publication and the buyout of the partner firm share in 666 Fifth Avenue. Certainly money has been pushed around before among the Saudi royal family, AMI, Michael Cohen, and the Trump/Kushner clan. Given the Manafort indictments, a Foreign Agent Registration Act prosecution would be delightful.

4 Likes

I stand corrected. Hadn’t noticed all TPM did was republish the AP article verbatim. Still lousy journalism.

2 Likes

Given how far the AP has sunk, I am not surprised.

1 Like

Because Dumpy wants to make sure he gets the money laundering consession .

1 Like