Discussion: WHY WAS BARR THE DECIDER? Legal Experts Puzzled By Attorney General's Obstruction Decision

Excellent link, thanks.
I haven’t been this fucking depressed since the election.
How fitting that it’s almost on the anniversary of the Enabling Act.

5 Likes

My comment that Mueller being a by the book guy was meant mockingly, this type doesn’t make waves, is eager to please, team player, not independent.

Did AG Barr also decide it was time for Mueller to go golfing?

There are so many loose ends seemingly in this report that is being kept from us by Barr, that one has to wonder why did Mueller leave such an incomplete investigation. Roger Stone is sitting there, he left the the the entire obstruction of justice issue completely up in the air, he has NOT interviewed any members of the Trump family including Trump himself.

The Trump family operates like a crime family…and yet Mueller didn’t interview any of them under oath…only questions that Trump gave written answers to with his lawyers crafting those answers.

I doubt any serious American will view this investigation as complete or even fair…Mueller, Rosenstein, Barr, Sessions…every one of them are very loyal Republicans. Not a single Democrat…too bad Bill Clinton didn’t enjoy such a stacked deck.

If it was NOT Russian conspiracy to influence the election in Trump’s favor, then why were virtually everyone in Trump’s close circle lying? Were they just hiding the Moscow Tower deal? Was Trump circling the wagons to hide money laundering, tax evasion, and etc…

Mueller did NOT even obtain or look at Trump’s taxes. That’s like investigating Hillary’s emails without ever looking at her private server.

We have a steady stream of history where the very powerful (all the money in the world) Republican Party has controlled elections and controlled the White House…whether they are in the White House or not.

For me, this says more than ever we need new people running the Democratic Party who will oppose Republicans with the same aggression as they oppose Democrats. Pelosi, Schumer, Clinton, Obama, and others all are way too Republican like and fail to defend our nation from becoming what is essentially a plutocracy.

7 Likes

The media is going to portray this as exonerating Trump. They just are. It’s best that Democrats keep their rhetorical powder dry until the initial spin blows over. Keep fighting and investigating, but if you want to talk about Trump, talk about his general sleaziness.

2 Likes

Barr did exactly what he was put in place to do. Why is anyone surprised? If you look at tRumps record of hiring he only puts people in key positions that have publicly stated they are on his team. Whittaker was hired because he was on the team and so was Barr. Democratic’s and the public should have been prepared for this when Barr refused to recuse himself from the investigation. Two things i want to know:
Can Barr be brought up on charges of obstruction?
Did Mueller put in place some kind of fail-safe?

8 Likes

Maybe for Trump and Barr.

1 Like

"By making the decision himself, Barr feeds into the cynical narrative that President Trump appointed an AG who would protect him.”

Really? Did you figure that out all by yourself?

I’m sooooooooo sick of reading:

• We just don’t understand why Trump did …
  • We don’t understand why Nunes would say …
  • We don’t understand why Fox would claim …

It’s called party-before-country. Nothing hard about it.

3 Likes

That is not what I am reading. Mueller was tasked to do exactly that.

1 Like

“Legal Experts Puzzled By Attorney General’s Obstruction Decision”

Puzzled? Why are they puzzled? He is just doing what he was installed to do.

5 Likes

Only with a more palatable patina.

Well, kids, here is your giant, “No Shit, Sherlock” moment. Mueller, the guy who played WMD booster and torture-green-lighter for Bu$hCo, only to get built up as the Second Coming and a walks-on-water-man-of-integrity by Democrats desperate to deflect from fact that The Most Qualified Candidate for President in the History of Forever lost to the worst, suddenly turns out to be human, a mere mortal and a loyal Republican’t to boot! Gee! NOBODY say that coming, amirite?

7 Likes

Regardless of Barr’s duplicity, Mueller gave him the opening by hiding behind DOJ precedent (not law). So much for the tough Marine who can’t be cowed. In the face of a treasonous Commander in chief, Mueller went for the low hanging fruit.

Small fish Bob. Like every other Republican, in the end it’s party first, Country last. Nice by-the-book work, Marine. I’m sure you’re sleeping easy.

6 Likes

Remember the history here:

1. Trump fires Comey when he refuses to “protect him”.
  2. Trump fires McCabe when he refuses to “protect him”.
  3. He fires Sessions when he won’t "protect " him.
  4. Trump puts an unqualified hack as temp AG to “protect him.”
  5. Trump hires Barr after Barr writes an Op-Ed guaranteeing to “protect him.”
  6. Since Barr has already stated publicly that;
    a) A sitting President CANNOT BE INDICTED.
    b) Therefore there can NEVER be “enough evidence” to indict a sitting President.
    c) He orders Mueller to “wrap up the investigation” and being a good little G-Man he does as ordered.
    d) Since there can NEVER be “enough” evidence to indict a sitting President (see A), Trump is therefore “exonerated” by the truncated Mueller report.
11 Likes

I could not agree with you more.

7 Likes

Don’t forget, Comey was the main reason Hillary lost.
Comey worked hand in hand with Mueller in obstructing the 9/11 commission.
Comey maybe thought the best out for him was to get fired. I can see him having that much integrity in not wanting to the FBI to be totally subservient to Trump under his watch.
Nothing in his handwritten notes hurt Trump. Nothing in his testimony hurt Trump. Same thing with Cohen,
I don’t doubt they are both still tight with Trump. But hey, it all made pretty damn good theater right? Y’all got your hopes up and swallowed whole everything you were being sold.
Comey wanted to sell a book and go down as being the good guy. He’s not.

1 Like

I disagree.

Comey was the final straw that broke that camel’s back.

The MSM decided that they wanted Trump as President way back in early 2016 when they realized HOW MUCH MONEY they could make off of his carney-barker-side-show and they did EVERYTHING in their considerable power to promote Trump and bash Hillary, with the ENTHUSIASTIC HELP of the entire left-wing of the Democratic Party (egged on by Russian Trolls and their own myopic navel-gazing sense of superiority.)

It was a shit-show from the start, and Hillary never really had a chance, even though she won by over 3+ million votes (they stopped counting after Trump won the Electoral College.)

The MSM got the “Reality Show” President they wanted, the far-left of the Democratic Party got their smug sense of self-satisfaction in defeating Hillary, the Oligarchs got their “rubber-stamp” moron who would “do as he was told” and the Russians won the grand prize by subverting our Democracy and getting a Narcissistic crook as President whom they could CONTINUE to manipulate with flattery and blackmail.

2020 will be MORE OF THE SAME with the Russians pulling the strings, the MSM lining up at the feeding trough of campaign-cash to suck up all they can get (Trump will have over $1 Billion to spend) and the Left-Wing of the Democratic Party hating on every single candidate because they are not “PURE” enough to pass their impossible litmus tests.

American Democracy. It was nice while it lasted…

Luckily I’m over 65, Male, and White.
The rest of you however…I hope you enjoy scratching out a living in the “Gig Economy” where you are nothing but an replaceable cog in the Fascist Machine as AI and robotics take over more and more of our economy.
Want to see where this country is going? Look at China where travel is now restricted based upon your “Social Score” of how well you suck up to the Oligarchs and toe the Party Line. Everyone is surveiled 24x7 and everything is controlled by the Oligarchs who are constantly jockeying for position and power, trampling on the citizenry to do so.
Where “Fair” is whatever you can get away with, and family connections are the only key to success, until someone else comes along to knock you off your perch by THEIR connections.
Expect Trump to pardon everybody who DID NOT testify against him, then start a major war with Iran by Christmas (just like Netenyahu is doing with the Gaza Strip right now to ensure HIS election) that way it can extend into the election year and if it doesn’t go as planned (that is guaranteed) he will then declare Martial Law and suspend the 2020 elections permanently (and it will be done to Thunderous Applause by his Marching Morons and the MSM who will be rolling in the War Coverage Money.)

6 Likes

I’m so shocked.
Trump is all about grabbing headlines and staying in the public spotlight.
But I’m not going to waste my time explaining anymore. Y’all will believe what you want to believe.
I’m going to go make some money now.

1 Like

The book appears to be by Hannah Arendt rather than William Blackstone.

Of course that’s not how the military works, nor can it be. ‘Tough’ means you do what they tell you to, at cost of life, limb, and any principles you may have. I will never understand why this behavior has been so valorized post-Vietnam.

5 Likes

When Barr testifies he should be asked if Mueller in his report actually directed Barr to determine if Trump obstructed justice or not, and if so Barr should make a copy of that directive in the report to congress.

2 Likes

spin is confusing “Special Counsel” and “Independent Counsel.” Starr was an Independent Counsel, but after he abused his power for nearly 8 years, there was a bipartisan consensus that such a position shouldn’t exist. But Mueller was definitely a Special Counsel, and he had the power to investigate the President.
Now Mueller might have thought that he was constrained by the DoJ policy against indicting a sitting President. Or he might have thought that his job on that question was to write the report. It’s really not clear why he decided to take a pass on the issue of Obstruction. Certainly the evidence of Obstruction is pretty flagrant.

2 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available