Discussion: Why One TX Clerk Won't Let Her Faith Stop Her From Issuing Gay Marriage Licenses

Discussion for article #237989

Kudos to this gal for putting legal requirements ahead of her own religious beliefs. TX needs more civil servants just like her.

34 Likes

TX is one mighty fucking huge haystack in which to find such an unlikely needle.

Congrats on being born sane, lady. If only it was contagious,.

13 Likes

This woman is an example of what civil service means.

Thank you Ms. Luke.

31 Likes

A sensible christian … in Texas?

Does Texas know about this?

3 Likes

When did we start congratulating people for doing their fucking job?

21 Likes

I wonder what her faith tells her to do about couples on their second or third marriages, or what her faith tells her about issuing licenses to folks who don’t plan on having children or who have children out of wedlock. Better yet, why doesn’t she just do the job that she was hired to do and is paid to do and keep her opinions to herself.

3 Likes

OK, I think at this point we need to remove humans from the process of obtaining a marriage license. Submit relevant information to a web form. If accepted, you get a marriage license. Computers aren’t religious.

I’m tired of these stories. My right to a marriage license is not dependent upon which invisible man the person behind the counter does or does not believe in.

13 Likes

When they’re from Texas. Actually finding a sane christian in Texas is grounds for damned near a national holiday. Finding a sane christian civil servant who will do their job is even greater grounds to celebrate.

Baby steps, Eustace, baby steps . . .

5 Likes

She did. Quit ragging on her about it. She did the right thing. Just exactly WHAT part of that do you have a problem with?

13 Likes

“However, first and foremost, I took an oath on my family Bible to uphold the law, and as an elected public official, my personal belief cannot prevent me from issuing the licenses as required.”

The standards by which all elected officials should adhere to.

Thanks MS Luke! Would you please run for US Senate? Maybe Tejans will be ready to rid themselves of the greaser oily haired creature currently representing himself from your state.

7 Likes

Render unto Caesar that which is Caesar’s…

Just like Jesus said to do.

10 Likes

so… there actually IS a Texan that has a pair as most of the blowhards there keep trying to tell us they’re so proud of…

It appears to me that she IS keeping her opinions to herself and IS doing her sworn job.

You see a problem with that Dagwood?

7 Likes

I agree with some here who say it shouldn’t be a big deal if a person does his or her job. It shouldn’t. But in this case people are being heavily propagandized on the subject by a bunch of goddamned holy-roller troublemakers and because of that a person deserves some credit for cutting through the noise and saying “this isn’t my cup of tea but the law says it’s OK for anyone who sees differently, end of story.” We can all get along on that basis. So good for her and good for everyone with enough common sense to take a similar attitude.

26 Likes

Nice to see someone who understands giving an oath to public service means just that.

15 Likes

While I find County Clerk Juli Luke’s views on same-gender marriage personally backward and stupid, I can respect that she is fulfilling her oath of duty to office, and for that I have no problem with her.

12 Likes

That should legitimately be the option in these states that are pushing all this “sincerely held beliefs” objections. You don’t want to it? Fine, let them step over to this handy laptop that will issue the license for them.

1 Like

An American in an elected office in Texas. Who knew they still existed. Good for her.

1 Like

Revised Texas Oath of Office:

“I, ________________, do solemnly swear (or affirm), that I will faithfully execute the duties of the office ________________, of the State of Texas, and will to the best of my ability preserve, protect and defend the Constitution and Laws of the United States and of this State unless I disagree with them; and I furthermore solemnly swear (or affirm), that I have not directly or indirectly paid, offered, or promised to pay, contributed, nor promised to contribute any money or valuable thing outside of political and religious allegiance, or promised any public office or employment as a reward for the giving or withholding a vote, again unless I disagree based on my personal interpretation of religion or more importantly at the peril of my future political opportunities at the election at which I was elected, or if the office is one of appointment, to secure my appointment and future money making opportunities. So help me God, ***but only the blonde Christian God.***”