Discussion: White House: Botched Execution Did Not Meet Humane Standards

Discussion for article #222232

The OK, supreme court put a stay of execution for both men, because of the unknown danger of these drugs. But, the governor ignored it and proceeded anyway. How is THAT legal?

Now, look! She’s all…what happened? She should be impeached! And sued!

2 Likes

You’re right, no question about it. If the guy has relatives, it seems like they would be quick to sue. I don’t think the voters or legislature of OK will impeach, however. As for the President’s remarks, I don’t think the issue is, any longer, merely an issue related to humane practices. This incident is about torture, and the Governor needs to be held accountable.

We are talking about Oklahoma here, so you cannot use big words like STANDARDS.

1 Like

This is outrageous on so many levels.

What does execution accomplish in the first place?

I’ve worked with many criminals, and not one of them considered the possible consequences of their crime prior to committing it. I know of absolutely no credible study that the death penalty has any deterrent effect. What other justification would suffice that doesn’t lower society and death penalty proponents to the level of those they would execute?

Do any of us deserve to ever be judged solely on the basis of our worst mistake or mistakes?

Some studies and numerous past cases have clearly established that many death row inmates don’t deserve the death penalty even if it were otherwise justifiable, simply by virtue of flaws in the justice system which have convicted people who were not guilty of the charges for which they were assessed the death penalty.

What if a system were instituted where everyone who takes part in charging, prosecuting, judging, approving of, and executing, death row inmates, were required to witness the execution? How many executions would then be performed if everyone responsible for the execution were required to witness the fruit of their labors? And why shouldn’t that be a requirement?

Why the secrecy about the nature and the source of the methods of execution. Aren’t those most concerned entitled to ensure that the devices and drugs used to execute them are effective, humane, and prepared by qualified people prepared to stand behind their products? The two dogs which I had euthanized in my presence went very quietly, and without pain. If we can (and ethically are required when necessary) to do that with our pets, why can’t we do that with inmates? If Dr. Kevorkian and others can devise humane ways to ease the passing of the terminally ill, why can’t we do that for people who are killed against their will?

Two men were scheduled to be executed. What kind of justice system have we devised that leaves it to the luck of the draw that one dies because of a botched process and the other survives because of a botched process?

Neither of these people seem very warm and fuzzy to many who look at them, but does that mean they are any less human, or deserving of the basic respect owed all human beings?

Would any of us look at these issues differently if we were in their shoes, and is it any more than the luck of the draw if we aren’t?

1 Like

If we were in their shoes…

Like a victim of happenstance…
Just in the wrong place at the wrong time…
If we were in their position wouldn’t we…
Given the opportunity wouldn’t you have…

One guy raped and killed his roommates 11 month old daughter.
The other shot and buried alive a woman who walked into a burglary attempt.

These two guys…
I can honestly state I would not have done what they did.

1 Like

I"m pretty sure that this “botched” execution was just a setup by Magic Johnson so that he could buy Oklahoma on the cheap.

2 Likes

This incident certainly proves one thing, if user comments are any indication: no one can even entertain the notion any longer that the death penalty is anything but vengeance. I have read some of the most bloodthirsty comments in the past day. The nature of this man’s execution wasn’t appalling to most people; his extended suffering was actually a perk.

No one - no one! - disputes that these men were guilty of heinous crimes against humanity. But (as I attempted to explain to a coworker today) the death penalty should not be about exacting revenge. It should approached as such: do you trust YOUR life to cops, detectives, district attorneys, judges, etc., all of whom are under tremendous pressure to convict? Do you trust them with YOUR life to do what is right by you, what is true and honest and just? I don’t know about you, but I certainly don’t. And if I can’t trust them with my life, they shouldn’t be trusted with anyone else’s. Period.

3 Likes

A perk. That truly is how it seemed when reading some of the comments.

1 Like

I can appreciate your point, and would like to believe that I would balk at such actions myself in similar circumstances to theirs, but so many factors go into determining the arc of the trajectory that each of us have followed in the past and will follow in the future, and we have so little control over so many of those factors, that I doubt that any of us can predict with accuracy how a small change in any of those factors would have affected our future actions.

I haven’t seen it, but my impression is that the movie “The Butterfly Effect” addresses that possibility.

I would like to believe you would more then “balk” at such actions as raping an 11 month old.

Fell short of humane standards? Did that statement really originate with Obama? I’d be very interested in his version of humane executions. Blown apart by a drone, perhaps?

Governor Fallin defied a court order to stay the execution until her big government came clean and disclosed the drug(s) they wanted to use, but keep secret from us.

She is not only guilty of violating her oath of office, but also of irresponsibly engineering the brutal murder of another human being. She is no better than her prisoner.

The Constitution of the United States – our most cherished national value – forbids the State from performing unusual punishment. Since big government secrecy is something even conservatives despise, the governor’s insistence on continuing the gruesome torture of a person by keeping the means secret clearly qualifies as “unusual” in every legal and moral sense.