Discussion: What Slut-Shamers Have In Common With Anti-Abortion Activists

Discussion for article #233479

Lindin says, “People lack so much compassion for teenagers, and I don’t think it’s fair.”

I understand that use of the word “fair” is an attempt to appeal to what we all hope is people’s sense of justice. What we miss by framing it that way, though, is that all these ways that society tends to treat the young ARE NOT SMART!

When are we going to start looking at what works to accomplishing our goals instead of what we think other people will accept?

GET SMART!

2 Likes

one of the interesting things about men who are virulently opposed to abortion is that they are frequently married to women who were sexually active with others earlier in life in ways that this society labels wild.

1 Like

Good article, Ms. Erdreich, thank you.

I hope I have the opportunity to see Ms. Lindin’s documentary.

America: forever the land of judgmental prudes.
I blame religion in general, and the Puritans for getting the ball rolling…

3 Likes

Slut: noun derogatory; plural noun: sluts 1. a woman who is having more and better sex than you are.

YMMV

3 Likes

Not to be glib, but it would have been far more interesting to discover what slut-shamers do not have in common with anti-abortion activists.

6 Likes

They’re more or less one in the same. Most anti-choice people aren’t really interested in preventing abortions, they’re interested in controlling women and girls. If they were really interested in preventing abortions, they would support policies that encourage sexual education and free contraception. (Those are the only two things show to ACTUALLY reduce the numbers of abortions.)

3 Likes

I agree. Puritanical ideas, religion and the culture that demands accountability for the girls/women but not the guys and disapproves of nudity and sex ed.

My wife tells a story of the first time she kissed a boy (eighth grade), and the boy said “Wow. I didn’t know you went in for this.” Naturally, she was taken aback for the suggestion that what she did was “loose” and “bad”, though it was the very same thing he did (possibly his first kiss too).

4 Likes

Even more interesting is that almost all of the most extreme anti-abortionists - the doctor-killers, clinic-bombers, and sidewalk screamers - are men. It’s not about the sanctity of human life - it’s about controlling women.

3 Likes

Oh, that’s ridiculous. Most killers, bombers, and ‘sidewalk screamers’ are men. These same people strive to control others regardless of their gender.

That doesn’t change my point, which is that for all the talk about those opposed to abortion being concerned about the sanctity of human life, it’s mostly BS. Those who are most strenuously opposed to abortion are just control freaks.

I can write this article in 4 words:

They both hate sex.

This woman’s they have right, is their body and they can do whatever they want.Nobody can force you to keep a baby if you don’t want, you have no freedom, you have your personal reasons and for this you cannot call that woman slut. We are more primitive then now 1000 years ago.

Nope, they both hate women who have sex. Not a lot of people going around stud-shaming (is that even a thing) or saying that men should just keep it in their pants if they don’t want to pay child support.