Discussion: What Is Ted Cruz Thinking?

Discussion for article #234618

Or maybe he just wants a sweet book deal and a guaranteed job at Fox when he’s ultimately run out of office? He may view his trajectory as less Barak-ish and more Newt-y

6 Likes

Thinking???
It’s his meme moment with benefits he hopes to retire on one day soon.

4 Likes

¨(A) small whiff of superciliousness…¨

Ah, the irony of understatement.

12 Likes

“What is Cruz thinking?”

Money. Free money. Lots of it.

16 Likes

He’s the #1 darling of the Koch brothers. He’s been a key guest at all their gatherings. Follow the money…

5 Likes

Cruz was touting his record yesterday. I was thinking what record. What is he talking about.

4 Likes

The above commenters–and, for that matter, Cruz’s opponents, and maybe even some of his supporters–mistake Cruz’s sincerity for cynicism at their peril. He’s already shown over the past two years that he’s more than willing to not settle for half a loaf when it comes to politics; folks like Huckabee, Walker, and Jindal, each of whom works the same sort of rhetorical terrain as Cruz but is a variant of a right-wing chameleon, will get their asses handed to them as Cruz exposes their lack of commitment to that rhetoric. Cruz is smart, but not as smart as he thinks he is (and his arrogance is a definite liability), so he can be beaten–but only by taking him on head-on.

Cruz probably won’t win the nomination, and certainly not the general election, but that doesn’t mean anyone can just dismiss him.

11 Likes

Probably his willingness to stand up to the establishment–which Tea Party types are persuaded has some sort of unholy alliance with Obama. In these days of a politics of opposition, that’s all the record some folks need to see.

6 Likes

What is Ted Cruz thinking in running for president? Well, before he read “Green Eggs and Ham” on the Senate floor, Cruz also read, “If I Ran The Circus” by Dr Seuss. It may have inspired him.

“Certainly, he is one smart cookie. But to my skeptical ears, there is always a touch of condescension in the pitch — a small whiff of superciliousness that gives one the unlovely impression that Ted Cruz believes his listeners to be a little bit dim.”

And who can blame him for that?

8 Likes

Gotta sell books somehow.

Ted Cruz makes Bob Dole look charming.

2 Likes

All of this may be true, but if recent history tells us anything, it’s that there will come a point in this cycle where Ted Cruz is the clear frontrunner in primary polls - a position once occupied by such GOP luminaries as Herman Cain and Michele Bachmann.

7 Likes

It’s hard to read the mind of an egomaniac, but whenever Cruz speaks and he gets applause, he gets this strange, smug, self-satisfied half smile on his face that is really, really creepy.

13 Likes

Do arrogance and hubris really need justification? I mean, really. Guy doesn’t have a snowman’s chance in hell of seeing the Oval Office. Shutdown fight on parade once more. Petulance played out on the national stage. This is good, I think, for the Republican party, and the country as a whole. We need this kind of alembic to finally purge the intransigent from the national debate. It will take several election cycles and a string of Democratic or at least progressive Presidents and likely will never be 100% finished. But in the mean time, maybe we can begin the process of salvaging what is left of our democracy.

2 Likes

Makes you wonder if Hillary hired him to run. His being in the race frames the debate in such a way that Independents can’t possibly ignore the crazy conservative slant of all GOP candidates.

2 Likes

His condescension will do him in. He comes across as thinking he is better than anybody around him. That unfortunate personality trait wears thin after a while.

5 Likes

He is the closest to a Ronald Reagan run as conservatives will ever get. This is not saying he is like Ronald Reagan, only on the way he will run for POTUS. Ronald Reagan ran as a conservative and even went to Miss. to give a racist speech. I think that Ted Cruz fits the modern day view of the true conservative of today. He could win with hard line conservatives in the primary, but don’t see how he can win a general election. Though I also, thought Ronald Reagan didn’t have a chance either.

I like Ted Cruz! He reminds me of Joseph McCarthy, but without the charm.

22 Likes