Discussion: What Comes Next After Senate GOP Delays Obamacare Repeal Vote

From the Times article after the big WH East Room meeting today with Trump and Republican Senators:
“When asked by reporters clustered on the blacktop outside the West Wing if Mr. Trump had command of the details of the negotiations, Mr. McConnell ignored the question and smiled blandly.”

That just about sums up the entire Trump presidency to date on every issue, and as far as anyone can see into the future.

4 Likes

Absolutely, and what is the lesson: there is no compromising with the GOP, and avoid putting out GOP light policy so they will like you, because they won’t.
Warren came out today and said that Democratic Congress members should all vociferously support and promote single payer, and the leadership in the party and many members gave a collective, “meh”. And that is why the Democratic Party sucks.

1 Like

Because of many factors, some related to him and some related to a stacked deck. And boy did it work out great in the general (and yes I supported Clinton and voted for her). I know, I know, Clinton was perfect and it was all because of Sanders and Putin and all those hillbillies. Plus it was so helpful for you guys to dismiss all the “Bernie Bros” as farting-unicorn chasers. Almost as useful as it is for you to keep doing so now. Wouldn’t want to waste time coming together when it’s so much more satisfying to keep lobbing one liners at people who are largely allies but have some different ideas than you do.

2 Likes

Adulation at the altar applies a lot better to some folks here in re to Clinton than it does to me in re to Sanders. I don’t claim he’s perfect or demonize her. But some posters here at TPM do the reverse repeatedly. If you think it’s useful, knock yourself out. But it doesn’t help the party, or anybody else, one bit.

1 Like

If he wasn’t a leader I wouldn’t know jack shit about him.
He’s your Senator so you probably know more than you care to.

I doubt very many of the Repubs really want to go down this repeal and kill road but they too must to get to phases 2 and 3.

These pols, the insurers and the drug companies are some heartless people.
How can they weigh tens of millions of human lives against anything, it just should be a non-starter from the beginning.

2 Likes

Tell it to the judge.

:neutral_face:

1 Like

Just out of curiosity, how many repeal votes is that now?
70 some I’m thinking.

1 Like

It would be bad.

Hahahaha. I’ll tell you what, Pat-- it’s not good or bad! It’s curtains.

1 Like

Heard trump say on NPR this afternoon that he was sitting next to Murkowski and as an example of how the ACA was failing claimed that Alaskans policies are going up 200% without the slightest bit of acknowledgement that our premiums will go up even higher, much higher under the Senate/house plan. I do hope that once the buffoon left the podium that she had the courage to correct him on that statement but I’m not gonna hold my breath on it.

1 Like

Here’s a question I posed to Josh, Neera Tanden, Joy Reid and Jacki Schechner (@jackischechner) on Twitter: “is this the moment Schumer/Pelosi should come out w/alt-Dem plan to FIX ACA?”

Here’s Jacki’s response: “Won’t matter. Would need #GOP votes and they won’t get them, no matter how reasonable the plan.”

But I wonder…

There can be no principle of “right to life” — as espoused by the conservative movement, the Republican Party, and the Bible — without universal health care.

2 Likes

Contact her office. That kind of stuff cannot go unchecked. You are her constituent and you know what the real story is. Trump is not her constituent.

Will call again in the morning. Been reminding her and Sullivan that we out here are paying attention and know that Alaska will get hit much harder than any other state. They could have fixed many of their complaints against the ACA by now and been recognized for it but ideology trumped doing what was best for their constituents and their party.

5 Likes

Entirely too safe, too late. But my Senator Rob Portman and Shelley Caputo totally sodomised the band wagon by “opposing the current draft” of the Senate Trumpcare bill. Whateves :stuck_out_tongue:

The ironic thing is, on these things, the positions of the two parties have reversed. In the 1800s it was the Republicans who were the former, and the Democrats who were the latter. What hasn’t changed is that Republicans have always represented the moneyed interests, and Democrats have represented the workers. What changed is that those groups changed what they in favor of.

1 Like

John Boehner awhile back suggested the answer which is now being put out there by oppponents of the repeal. FORGET the stupid tax cut for the GOPer’s. FIX the complaints and issues about Obamacare that have been complained about the last few years. FIX OBAMACARE name it Trumpcare and tada… You have a better healthcare bill.

I am not holding my breath. Personally I hope they pass this piece of chit bill and let the ramifications flow through the system. Many many Trump voters will be hurt by this GOP health bill and I say GOOD!!! Everyday a Trump voter dies is a great day for America.

1 Like

I’ll be interested to see where Ted Cruz ends up. If I had to choose I’d bet he ends up for it, but I can easily see him doing the devious calculations in his head:

1. This shitburger is so incredibly unpopular that it will be a slaughter for Republicans in 2018 if it passes.

2. He would get to show himself as bravely standing up against Mitch McConnell (which he’s already done before, and made a lot of hay out of).

3. He would also be taking a huge dump on Trump, as revenge for the primary.

4. He can go back to Texas and crow about how all of this would be in the name of his supposed deeply-held conservative principles where Obamacare has to be repealed completely, giving him cred against a primary challenger.

I’m not saying it’s going to happen. But it’s a definite possibility IMO.

But it was all good when idiots carrying rifles protested Obama and other Democrats. That wasn’t at all uncivilized or mean. It was all good when people posted insulting, racist cartoons of the Obamas. That wasn’t at all uncivilized or mean. It was all good when people quoted Bible verses praying for Obama’s assassination. That wasn’t at all uncivilized or mean. Republican politicians make me want to vomit repeatedly.

1 Like

They won’t get the votes but, i’m not sure if it matters or not. On the one hand Dems coming out with their own plan could detract/obscure the AHCA crap and allow the Repubs to sneak it through. On the other hand having a better alternative, one that the Repubs won’t even look at could be used to give the people something to fight for. Honestly, don’t know what’s the right play

1 Like
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available