Discussion: WH Preps To Resist Dem Inquiries, Force Legal Battle If Subpoenas Arrive

You asked for this, Donnie.

4 Likes

4 Likes

I question what path Dems need to take heading into the 2020 Prez contest to put themselves in the best position to win. Buffeting Trump from all sides with subpoenas and hearings will dominate the news, nearly to the exclusion of all other events, especially factoring in the noisy, combative counter measures Trump will deploy in response. Anything positive Dems do will be drowned out. Substantive achievements on the legislative front are all but impossible, so no victories are forthcoming there to brag about. They have zilch to say about foreign policy, at least so far as bending it their direction with any success.
Is proclaiming “For the last two years we’ve investigated Trump and fought him at every turn” enough to win the election? It better be, because I see little else they’ll have to hang their hat on.

4 Likes
1 Like

For someone who claims to be innocent this seems like a lot work, and a lot of unnecessary pay to lawyers. His supporters are the same ones who said of Obama, “He should just release his birth certificate, why is he resisting?” Anyway, who is paying for all of trump’s lawyers?

6 Likes

If he’s making it an Executive privilege fight you are.

5 Likes

The result of Trump “resisting” subpoenas (who cares how many?)…

No country…Not ours anyway.

It’s not much more than a lot of hyperventilating nationalism anyway. We eat the poor and shit carbon dioxide, pretty much our two main activities. Good riddance.

1 Like

I don’t think that formula is going to work as a strategy to win the White House. An enormous amount of energy and time has been already spent, with very little to show for it, and the endless retractions surrounding RussiaGate have just made Trump stronger with his base, who now are more suspicious of the media than ever. Pity.

So billing separations must be a headache for someone because isn’t the RNC covering some of the legal expenses for certain things? And then there’s the Trump Inaugural Committee and all that money that was clearly not spent on entertainment. So where did the money go?

3 Likes

Irony alert. Saw this from Rudy in a Nat Geo show:

[quote]No criminal organization in the history of our country has ever infiltrated legitimate institutions of society the way the mafia was able to do.

Rudy Giuliani, Inside the American Mob, Ep. 1.1, 2013.[/quote]

Until now, Rudy, until now. And you’re part of it.

7 Likes

Yeah, teeth and nails aren’t very dangerous when they’re affixed to a pile of jello.

2 Likes
        WH Preps To Resist Dem Inquiries,

3 Likes

If a party fails to comply, the committee must hold the non-complying party in contempt (majority of committee members). To enforce they must then 1) have the sergeant-at-arms haul the person before the committee, 2) refer the case to Jessie Kong Liu, or 3) go to federal district court and file a civil action for contempt. Given the impracticalities of 1 and 3, Jessie Kong Liu is just about the most interesting person in DC at the moment. Is it too early to start speaking of Queen Kong?

2 Likes

He is an empty shell. He only has power because they give him power.He has no redeeming character traits that inspire loyalty or awe. Why do these people stick with him?

4 Likes

Fear of losing power. That’s why they gave him the nomination in the first place. It was pretty damn clear who he was from the very beginning.

4 Likes

I have an excerpt from their statement

We shall obstruct them on the beaches, we shall obstruct them on the landing grounds, we shall obstruct them in the fields and in the streets, we shall obstruct them in the hills; we shall never surrender. NO COLLISION! TOTAL EXONERATION!

1 Like

Washington DC has the highest number of lawyers per capita in the country. I practiced there for 11 years. At that time, one in ten adults in the District were lawyers. Trump can’t seem to find a one single decent lawyer in the place.

The strategy planned by these borderline attorneys is for one audience, what Peter Baker from the NYT yesterday called the United Base of America. More to the point, I’ve said here before that the best fight with Trump, from the people’s point of view, is a fight over a subpoena. Rudy must have slept through Watergate and Whitewater. US v Nixon is “settled law”; Bill Clinton was not immune to a proper subpoena. If “I’m the president” is his position, that has already been litigated and lost.

At the end of the day, we will have an answer to the Rule of Law question about Trump: will he obey an order of the federal courts? There is absolutely no reason to assume that this case would automatically end up before the Supreme Court.

4 Likes

The House Dems would do well to heed Giuliani’s warning, because he has some serious teeth and nails:

2 Likes

WH Preps To Resist Dem Inquiries, Force Legal Battle If Subpoenas Arrive

There’s a typo in the headline.

It should read “WH Perps…”

1 Like
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available