Discussion: WH Economist: Fed Workers Actually 'Better Off'

Is the fact that the White House staff is dumber than dirt a feature or a bug? Personally I say it’s a feature. Mad Magazine couldn’t have chosen a better example of this. He would have looked perfect on the cover.

1 Like

I’m looking for a word to describe my reaction to this dimwit’s logic, and i can’t quite seem to think of that word. That word, or any word, really, is escaping me. Dammit! How frustrating! This is almost as bad as needing to pay the rent, or to buy some food for my family to have some dinner tonight, but i didn’t get paid this week, so i have no money.

Oh well. I’m sure he’s better off if i can’t tell him how he really makes me feel.

1 Like

That dog ain’t gonna hunt!

A-a-a-n-d here it is:

BTW, only one statement on that page has any truth to it - this one.
“Many slave masters did not like to have the state government meddle in what they considered their private business”.

That is true, they liked being unchallenged kings over their estates, with the power of life and death.

But rarely did that lead to better treatment of slaves (or “servants” as the text would have it).

I am curious what they mean by “early in Virginia’s history” since early in its history it was a colony, not a state. And during that period the slaveholders were the government - they met periodically to vote on the laws that applied to themselves, but as there was no law apparatus at all, they chose whether they would observe it or not. There was no “government” - each estate was quite literally an independent entity.

Addendum:
I am certain now that I used this textbook while living in Virginia between 1963 and 1968. The style of the illustration looked very familiar. I would like to get a copy, but they are rare and costly now. I found a cover illustration on-line and bingo that was it.

11 Likes

Went something like this, man :smile:

“Welcome to Jack-in-the-Box, may I take your order ?”

ssssssssssssssssssssss…

2 Likes

The Coast Guard was suggesting their furloughed members should look into baby sitting, raking lawns, maybe shoveling snow, washing cars, and such. Really? And put hard working teenagers out of business?

5 Likes

Not only is this incredibly callous it also suggests that the latest Dufus Dumfuck to open his mouth has never heard that vacations are PAID time off in the normal world. Most federal workers use their PAID Vacation time to take vacations. Has he never heard of that?

3 Likes

I don’t mean to sugarcoat it, but that is really stupid.

2 Likes

holy mother of god, what POS book does this come from

6 Likes

Such a comfort to see that the country is being managed with such pure wisdom

1 Like

“Let them eat cake”, WH Economist(sic)

1 Like

At first I was going to say, “yeah I don’t find that hard to believe at all.”

Then I reconsidered. These racist assholes were probably cackling with glee.

I confess to old, but I don’t consider myself really old. Not from Texas, but this stuff was still being used in Virginia at about the time the Civil Rights Act of 1964 was being passed. (I think that 7th grade textbook had probably been pulled and replaced by something slightly less noxious by the time I got to 7th grade, because I don’t remember that illustration.)

But there was a flap here not too many years ago (2011, Google tells me) about a state-approved textbook that made the claim that thousands of black men fought for the Confederacy. (Hey, the author found it on the Internet, so it has to be true, right?)

But Virginia history has been problematic for for the last 150 years. I still run into people (older than I am!) who believe in the “happy slaves” mythology.

2 Likes

I’m in.

1 Like

The federal workforce is a very big component of our economy, it is so important it can stop a major depression from happening, or at least that was the Keynesian intent.

Federal workers not being paid will cause a big dip in the US economy, although Credit Card companies will benefit quite a bit.

Trump Putin/McConnell are destroying the world’s economy in many different ways; this is their latest.

3 Likes

Hassett continued, “if these people lose their homes it’s really a liberating process. You move into a much smaller dwelling which requires you to sell your things which not only means fewer things to keep clean but also means when you get paid you get to buy new things which boosts the economy.” Hassett then explained “what’s really best for these workers is to never receive back pay. But rather to have their reemployment fees waived by their departments, which we are considering in a bill we hope the Democrats will support. We feel it’s unfair and our polling shows that most workers do not want to be paid for days not worked and everyone in the adminstration agrees it’s in the nation’s best interest to waive the fee we established to process furloughed workers.”

3 Likes

Another evil prick.

I hate these people. I hate these people. I hate these people.

Practically leaves me speechless…

6 Likes

This is clear evidence that THE WORLD-WIDE ASSHOLE only attracts the very best people.

NOT

1 Like

I’m so disgusted with this smilin lyin piece of shite and people like Hassett and the people who at this moment are so damn disgusted and frustrated and being pawns in this unnecessary Bullshit. I’m done .

This is the quality of intellect that currently staffs the offices of the President of the United States.

God help us all.

It’s like saying that a thermonuclear war that killed every human on earth would be good because it would save everyone money on burial expenses.

1 Like
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available